spiderlift

• Thread starter TreeDr
  • Start date
  • Replies 608
  • Views 42K
I agree Willie its hard to justify looking at it like that.
But you have to compare the other lifts the same.
Like a 45ft lift on a 1 ton chassi. Say 50/60K new.
Verses a 75ft lift on a 33 thousand pound chassis.
For 115K to 125K. Same principle applies.

But for me to answer your question directly, yes it was worth
it for me.

If you had a moment of doubt on that purchase it would kill you.

Good to see it out making money and putting poor hungry climbers out of business.

If you had a moment of doubt on that purchase it would kill you.

Good to see it out making money and putting poor hungry climbers out of business.

Sorry Darin.
But I have to feed my hungry family......:D

Just a few comments in generalities.The world moves on,technoligies and inovations abound.These machines and their kin are and will replace some what the labor involved.Take for example a feller buncher in the timber cutting business.To get real simple,the common chainsaw with comparrison to the two man cross cut "misery whips".What can happen,will happen.

I myself am involved in the technical end of things but even my way of making a living has been altered.Computer operated conduit benders,hydraulicly operated work lifts,preassembled lighting systems,it all adds up to less labor.The present generation of high speed automated machine tools used in the auto industry can self diagnose malfunctions that may arise.The list is endless.

There will always be a need for skilled and semi skilled workers,in every area of industry but the numbers will be much reduced as time goes on.I don't like it but it's a fact that we all must face up to.:(

Pounds of weight per foot of lift:
Manly Lifter= 56' working height 4500lbs= 80.3 lbs per vertical foot
Koa's 15GT= 50' working height 4000lbs= 81.4 ""
Dave's 23GT 75' working height 6800lbs= 90.6 ""

The manly lift reaches the highest with the lowest pound per foot measurement, but cannot move itself.

Pounds of weight per foot of outreach:
Manly lifter 29.16' 4500lbs= 154.3lbs per foot of outreach
Dave's 23GT 35.3' 6800lbs= 192.6 ""
Koa's 15GT 20.4 4000lbs= 196 ""

Since I am bored, I took a look a the surface area covered by the outriggers, and divided by the machines outreach.

15GT 91.6sq ft 20' 5" outreach= 4.44sq ft per foot of outreach
23GT 182.2sq ft 35'4" outreach= 5.14 ""
Manly Lift 203sq ft 29'2" outreach= 6.12* ""

* The manly lifter has a capacity of 500lbs, the spiders have a capacity of 440, unadjusted 6.96sq ft per foot of outreach.

Koa's 15gt reaches the farthest with the smallest area of the outriggers.

Using approx costs of the machines per foot of lift:
Manly lift $30k 56'= $535.71 per vertical foot
Koa's 15GT $50k 50'= $1000 ""
Dave's 23GT $112 75'= $1493.33

Granted, the Manly lifter can't move itself, a big difference, it is an option, $6k I believe, but it doesn't have near the tractive abilities the spiders have.

Comparing the 13GT to the 23GT, to increase the height by 50% you increase the cost per foot by nearly 50%.

Entirely trivial information, just comparing specs is all.

My original point was for Jim, my unit reaches the farthest by weight, has a higher basket capacity, and the risk of flipping it by jumping up and down is moot. Like Dave said, its all a mind game. When I first flew the Manly lifter, I had never flow anything for tree work, I had only climbed. I was terrified, holding on with white knuckles and horrified when I had to stretch all the way vertically to make a cut. After I realized I wasn't going anywhere things became much more productive, and I gained respect for the engineering that went into all lifts. Dave's MAT-3 has a lot of flex, but I still felt safe in it (awesome truck Dave!).

Its wet out and I don't have anything to do till 11!:|:

5'6" wide 6'10" tall.

http://www.genielift.com/tmz-series/tz-50.asp There is a short vid at the bottom of the page and more specs ect.

If I could change one thing about it, it would be the ability to lower the primary boom to the ground while the secondary boom was vertical.

If they made a 75' version (or bigger :)) I would love that also. I have had mine a year and a half now, the only maintenance costs I have had was a $300 dollar motor controller. My went out back in April/May when I had a broke arm. Nothing really exciting, it worked intermitantly, I finished the tree with it. You can bypass the controler on the ground with jumper cables, which is what we did when we were packing it back up.

Does anyone know what the 2 spider lifts are priced at in Euro's from the factory? Me thinks that they are soooooooooo expensive due largely to the exchange rate. It's even worse up here in Canada.

Um, the exchange rate doesn't change the cost of the unit. A Euro is worth 1.3USD. A Canadian buck is worth .9 of a USD, and a GBP is worth roughly 2 USD.

The cost is the same, you can pay in whatever denomination you prefer.

Then why in this article (just delivered in Dec 2006, with a very good USD exchange rate last year) did the spider cost 80K canadian dollars.............it doesn't work out with the usd exchange rate and price of the spider in usd ($53,967.00).

http://www.usask.ca/communications/ocn/07-jan-05/8.php

I didn't mean exchange rate in the 1st post, I meant the high Euro in comparison to the dollar.

I dunno, the article made several mistakes on the specs of the machine, I beleive the price is one of those mistakes.

Ha! Presently 34C or D, haven't decided which.

C is a nice tight handfull.

D's hangout between your knuckles and start getting hard to hang onto.

Post a pic of 'em. I am sure we could view them and start a poll or somthin.:)

I am going with C, but there is an off shot they are D's. I'll eventually slow down enough to figure it out.

Wow Spider Lifts to womans cup size's, hmmmmmm where's the connection.
Maybe Carl in a Spider Lift with different ladies measuring there cup size. :P
Just get pictures Carl. :lol:

Not of any other jobs. Keep forgetting the camera.
No tree work the last couple days had to come home,
and take care of some problems with the cattle. :X

Back