spiderlift

• Thread starter TreeDr
  • Start date
  • Replies 608
  • Views 42K
back to my old powerline thingee.......................you do know that even a house service can kill you right?

Been doing this a long time. We had plenty of clearance. Pictures
can be deceiving. But thanks for the concern. :D

I can't say that I've ever seen such a lift as this.Interesting concept, narrow crawler frame with wide stanced outriggers.

Clearance rules on service drops are "don't physically touch it". Roofers and painters work within less than a foot of service drops. There is no reason except fear and ignorance to freak out about maintaining 10' clearance from a service drop. He didn't touch the service drop so he's ANSI compliant.
:what:

Clearance rules on service drops are "don't physically touch it". Roofers and painters work within less than a foot of service drops. There is no reason except fear and ignorance to freak out about maintaining 10' clearance from a service drop. He didn't touch the service drop so he's ANSI compliant.
:what:

I understand your point. Friend of mine owned a large rental house mainly dealing in scissors/manlifts, he had more than 1 burned up unit from a service drop.

I've seen em' transported on a flat bed, I guess they put the outriggers down, then drive out from underneath and then drive lift to wherever. How heavy is that thing?

It weighs 6800 pounds.

Can you tip a manlift over just by jumping around? I don't mean by trying to pickup a big piece of wood, just by using your body weight?

Can you tip a manlift over just by jumping around? I don't mean by trying to pickup a big piece of wood, just by using your body weight?

Of course not. Each machine has stated weight limits with lots of safety margin. If you could tip one over with your body weight then there's no way the machine would be able to be sold, and the manufacturer would be sued out of existence by the very first purchaser.

Well, I mean, if I start swaying back and forth and actually try to get it tipping over. You still couldn't do it?

What about if I extended it as far as it would go and then start jumping up and down - could I break something?

As Brian said James, this lift is very stable. I will admit that at 76ft
it does make you wonder, at first. A mental thing, I am used to looking down
and seeing a 17 thousand pound truck holding the boom.
With this you look down and see a small unit (6800#) and long legs.
Just a different fealing. :)

I am considering a spider as well, they just seem a tad pricey right now.........fence sitter here.

Questions:

How is it on turf?

How fast is it compared to a truck mount?

How fast does it "walk/move"?

Have you used it for pruning? If so, does it go through a tree's canopy well?

Was the extra money worth the extra 25ft?

IYO, is it quicker then a good climber?

Build quality?

I am considering a spider as well, they just seem a tad pricey right now.........fence sitter here.

Questions:

How is it on turf?

How fast is it compared to a truck mount?

How fast does it "walk/move"?

Have you used it for pruning? If so, does it go through a tree's canopy well?

Was the extra money worth the extra 25ft?

IYO, is it quicker then a good climber?

Build quality?

Ok Craig
1.I went threw all this myself. It is track drive, it is great on the lawn unless
you need to make a hard turn. We just throw down a piece of plywood crawl on that and then make the hard turn.
2.It is slower than a truck mount boom so far,(i haven't had it that long).
I think it can be sped up I'll have to let you know on that.
Buuut it has many more functions than a regular bucket truck.
IE, both booms telescope, basket rotates, and they whole machine can move
around in a back yard. That a bucket truck could not even think about getting to.
3. It travels like 1 mph on tracks. Not the fastest but not bad.
4.It works so much better than a standard bucket for pruning. And yes
I do own 2 other bucket trucks. Both booms telescope, so you set up at the outer edge of the tree set the top boom horizontal, you can us the lower
boom to telescope up and down say from 40ft to 20ft and then use the upper boom to telescope into the canopy. Also the bucket rotates so you turn it long ways so the narrow side is going into the canopy(27.5 inchs).
5.Craig 76ft will take care of 95% of the tree's in my area (Southeast Kansas)
in fact 40ft (just the height in the lower boom) will get most of the height you need in my area.
So yes for me it was well worth it. The Spider was basically the same cost
as a 75ft Hy-Ranger bucket truck(65ft boom and 10ft scissor lift). But the Spider will do everything the bucket will do and much more.(go where no bucket truck can go).
6.Is it faster than a good climber NO. But it will work all day everyday day daylight to dusk with a little maintenance. Always there to work (no excuses why they can't come in to work that day). Can work trees that can not be climbed, hazard trees. You can train a bucket/spider operator and keep your
climber working other jobs.
It is a lot easier on your body(it will keep me in the trees a lot more years).
I'm not getting any younger.
6.Build quality is great it is very smooth very stable. Very stable even on hilly or uneven ground, places a standard bucket could not set up.

Hope this answered a few of your questions Craig. :)

Dave,

Thanks a million for answering my questions. I really appreciate it. I am sure that more questions will come up in the future. I have a quote from Lenny but I still find it hard to get over the cost of a spider vs a traditional lift with way more metal. Good climbers and just climbers in general are getting really hard to come by up here in oil boom times, so I find myself considering a spider more and more each day.

I did the same thing Craig. Took me over a year to convince my-self it was the right thing to do.
So far I love it. I will learn a lot more about the lift as time goes by.
If I can answer any other questions about the spider I will do my best to answer them.
Some questions for you and my-self will be answered after using the lift more.
But so far I am very happy. 8)

ive been waiting patiently for this thread to continue :) hows the maintenance on that dave? do you really think the 25 feet was worth twice the price?

ive been waiting patiently for this thread to continue :) hows the maintenance on that dave? do you really think the 25 feet was worth twice the price?

There is a lot more engineering in the 23gt verses the 15gt Willie.
Its not just the extra 25ft in height. But also all the advantages
from 76ft to 20ft.
You can pull it on a trailer with your pickup, no need for a large
truck. That means no extra vehicle insurance.
So far no maintenance issues with it. Just normal upkeep. Fuel and oil.
It compared in price to other 76ft/75ft lifts. But with a lot of other
advantages.

yeah i know its engineed completely as its own design, i just wonder if you feel the extra reach is worth 60k?

Back