Soren Eriksson - Where is he now?

Well I have to say I've used it lot's in residential removals. Many times I had up to 16 ft. of Jameson pole with a Silky blade to trip that hinge.

As for the " hunched over back exposed to widowmakers" stuff that is pure bullshit IMO.

Quote: " You can't know what a tree is doing if you don't look up".

If you bore a tree and hold it on a backstrap, there will be no movement in the tree untill you cut the backstrap.

That is when you look up.
Well said Stig. I hear that all the time too, things like the saw's cutting action vibration will release a widow maker. Yeah right! I'm sure a gust of wind or even the vibration from a red headed woodpecker would have done the job ages ago before the chainsaw was put to the tree.

I think Bermy Fi should put the GOL technique to use on that big old 4' dead pine she has her sights on. she'll need at least a 20" b/c;)

Only reason I let you get away with calling me slow

Never called you slow, just the GOL technique as a whole.
Try that GOL stuff on a straight falling job, where you fall 200-300 trees a day. The traditional backcut faller will be faster every time.

The reason I borecut is not safety, but because I can't reach through the trees from one side.

So why not size your bar a few inches bigger than the wood you are cutting? It's almost like you guys want to use the shortest, or shorter bar.

If I'm in 16" stuff, I'll go with a 20, just to be prepared for the odd big one that comes along.

If I'm in hazard tree situations, at least a 28". A little extra reach never hurts in those situations.

That overlong bar that you drag around to be able to cut from one side, is fine for conifers, but try to limb and buck hardwoods with it and you'll be throwing chains all over the place.

Done that. No problem there. Full comp solves chain throwing issues.

Now, if I get into hickory, hell yeah I'm bore cutting that crap. That is the most barber chair prone species I have cut.

The ones that follow the GOL way completely on every tree are the ones that are unable to adjust their technique to fit the situation ( morons!!) that has never been the intention of GOL.

Unfortunately, those are the only GOL guys I've come across. They were way too proud of those bore cuts. But, to each their own.

That is when you look up.

Should be looking up more often than that.

The problem with bore cutting a back cut, is it takes away from your vertical awareness as it requires more concentration than a traditional back cut. So yes, you are more exposed to widowmakers being in a hunched over position, than a faller who can feel where his bar is and look up with more vertical awareness while the back cut is progressing.

I see where some of the GOL techniques can come in handy. Personally, if I was training newbies, I'd stick them in the S-212 class.

Shit talking! I'll take that Pepsi challenge Stiggy. What are the chances we could get a collection going? My airfare to Denmark to work he flatlands with you and your airfare to Washington and to work a nice steep ass strip of second growth.

Why would you be in a more hunched over position borecutting, than cutting from the rear?

If the stump heigth is the same, the position of the faller is the same............or?

And as for the bore cutting requiring more concentration than a traditional back cut, why?

Because you have to concentrate on aligning your cuts?

What kind of falling are we talking about here, backyard firewood cutters or pro fallers.

A pro faller does not have to concentrate on getting his cuts to line up, that should be instinctual.

I'm not familiar with American training, what is a s-212 class.?

In what kind of falling job do you fall 2-300 trees a day?

I cannot even envision that.

Working big hardwoods, I'll do 15 on a good day, and I have a rep for being fast.

Even knocking small conifers over for the chipper that number seems way high.

did i do my math right? 300 trees a day would be 30 trees per hour for 10 hours, or one tree every two minutes non stop for said 10 hours:\:.

On straight falling jobs (just that - straight falling, no processing, except for maybe taking an oversize butt log off here and there.)

You can easily do 150-300/day, especially if you're being paid by the tree in a second growth stand. A friend of mine in Alaska is hitting 150-200 day in 2nd growth. But Alaska is the worse place to fall timber, I've been told. The ground is steep, short, and broken up.

A lot of falling jobs out West are becoming that way.
Most jobs are tree length any more. Of course, except for any old growth or really big second growth.

The S-212 class is the USFS's chainsaw training course. A course designed to teach newbies like GOL does, but they focus on traditional raised back cutting.

Only 15 a day, Stig? Sounds like a lot of processing you have to do there. Of course, overseas they to tend to cut shorter logs than the US.

We cut the saw log ( or veneer log, if it is a fine tree) off, then we process everything out to 6 inches into 9 foot lengths.
The situation we are dealing with here is that mechanical harvesters are able to handle bigger and bigger trees. We have only the medium and big hardwoods left to fall manually and the real big ( for here) conifers.
So there are no slow fallers left in the woods here. Whenever we work, we feel the breath of the harvester on our neck.
Only the fast ones have survived.

Jameson, you landed smack in the middle of an ongoing argument about bar length that Burnham, Gerry B. and I have enjoyed for years. With the occasional snide comment from Willie.

That one is destined to go on forever, feel free to join, but be aware that we are not too serious about it.

Common consensus right now is ( I think) that if I was working the PNW, I'd be sporting a looooong bar and if the PNW faller were doing what I do, they'd go shorter.

As for the GOL stuff.

When I look at the forestry thread on AS it seems that common conensus is that unless you are a PNW faller and badmouth GOL, you are not a real man.

I have taught a LOT of young men how to fall trees over a couple of decades or more, but always on a person to person level.

That way one can fit the information to the individual person. When you teach large classes, you have to fit it towards the lowest level of participant. The afore mentioned moron.

That those moron go out and think GOL is the only way to fall trees, should not reflect badly on GOL, only on the morons.

Ha. I love these mightiest faller threads. Is there somewhere to sign-up? I'd like to throw my name in the hat too. Give me a chance I could type a mean strip too. Lol.

It seems whenever these sorts of discussion come up the region someone is from becomes quite apparent.

You guys have some funny woods where you are, to cut 300 trees per day in a stand without hanging any of them up. I mean there can go 10 minutes down the tubes :roll: . Looking up is by all means great, but a kerf can talk to you too.

did i do my math right? 300 trees a day would be 30 trees per hour for 10 hours, or one tree every two minutes non stop for said 10 hours:\:.

I've never heard of a faller on the West coast work a 10 hour day. That's just asking to get hurt. And your math is wrong, since I provided a range of numbers.

You guys have some funny woods where you are, to cut 300 trees per day in a stand without hanging any of them up. I mean there can go 10 minutes down the tubes :roll: . Looking up is by all means great, but a kerf can talk to you too.

Ok, I guess some people don't read thoroughly lol.

Let me re-post. "On straight falling jobs (just that - straight falling, no processing, except for maybe taking an oversize butt log off here and there.)

You can easily do 150-300/day, especially if you're being paid by the tree in a second growth stand. A friend of mine in Alaska is hitting 150-200 day in 2nd growth."

I posted two ranges of trees/day. That's in a clearcut setting. Obviously.

I'm just providing examples of what some of my friends have told me.

You'd need to to at least 150/day to make any decent money any more.

I'M the mightiest faller, not you guys. I don't even use wedges. I pry the tree off the stump with my boner!

Great, now the environmentalists can really say a logger is out raping the woods :lol:

So some of us get a stiffy from felling and others fell with their stiffy......
Therefore you can do some falling with your stiffy but don't fall on your stiffy.

I was just trying to break the tension that developed in this thread.

I hate tension in the House.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wetw8RQGJH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was just trying to break the tension that developed in this thread.

I hate tension in the House.
This is nothing Chris. You should have seen tension when I got banned forever from AS for threatening to come on down and teach a few members some manners for calling me a liar, when I said I 've cut a few million trees.:lol:
Here I was arguing with a couple of 30 trees a day PNW timberfaller wannabes compared to my 500 tree a day average, most days over 750.

Here's the photos of myself I never got to show. These are of me back in 1982 falling for 2 skidders. Stands of spruce like hair on a dog's back with very few limbs ,only a top to cut off. We were cut and skidding this stuff in treelength to the landing , never over a 500 ft. skid.
I hand bunched most of it before the tree hit the ground, getting more trees to a choker. Never used a wedge, pushed by hand if needed, common lean was to the south east. With both skidders in this size pulpwood we were most times pulling 40-50 cords in a 8 hr day [this is treelength cord formula not firewood cord].
I had logged this size of timber 75% of the time for over 20 years. This 100yr old plus wood makes the worlds strongest paper[SPX], very valuable.

Scan-002.jpg Scan.BMP.jpg Scan-001.BMP.jpg Scan-003.jpg Scan-004.jpg

Back