Solo limb lowering: VIDEO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The porty wouldn't have offered anything that justified walking to the truck to get it, install it, and put it back. It would've actually been used for what....10 seconds?

love
nick

Yes.. it helps clean it up, helps for smoother lowering.. and you can lash it off if you get in a bind somehow. Not to ditch old school. Couple of wraps on the trunk works great.
What was the porty still doing in the truck? :lol:

In all honestly, it was faster to climb the tree and cut the limb that it would've been to get and install the PW.

I was in the tree for maybe 3 minutes.

love
nick

The original post asked 'What could I do to clean up this process?'

The resounding answer is to use a portawrap and hard-lock it. Maybe a figure-8 with a soft lock would be a good intermediary. You could easily carry a figure-8 with 20 or so feet of 5mm maxim cord (5000lb MBS) wrapped around it, it would fit in your back pocket. You dont need any fancy slings, splices or knots, with 20' you could use bowlines to attach it to most anything.

In all honestly, it was faster to climb the tree and cut the limb that it would've been to get and install the PW.

love
nick

This reminds me I need to get a mini porty type device. Yes, leave the sling on it, doesn't take much time to anchor it to the tree, it's a good habit to get into. It will also 'look' more professional to people who are watching, I think. A lot of times I will also leave a long tail, it's so much easier to pull rope than grab a branch.

I think gas pole pruner from the ground would be fastest. I still don't think you have to climb it, but you get good position to make the cut. That tree looked pretty beat up.

love
nick

This reminds me I need to get a mini porty type device. Yes, leave the sling on it, doesn't take much time to anchor it to the tree, it's a good habit to get into. It will also 'look' more professional to people who are watching, I think. A lot of times I will also leave a long tail, it's so much easier to pull rope than grab a branch.

I think gas pole pruner from the ground would be fastest. I still don't think you have to climb it, but you get good position to make the cut. That tree looked pretty beat up.

That tree is beat up. Looks beautiful when in leaf and its in the hot part of LA and shades the whole back yard- so the clients want to keep it for as long as possible.

I have a feeling more limbs will fail and we'll keep cleaning them up until the tree just looks like crap.

love
nick

It is hard to sell people on the idea that when a tree starts looking like crap, due to disease or abuse, it should be removed and something with promise planted in it's place. That's the real way to do things, or the olden day's way in some places. Special exceptions excluded, like "that's where they hung granddad".

A BMS Belay Spool won't replace a bigger porty, but might be a great alternative to the mini-porty. See the other threads and videos.

Nick, excluding the use of a chainsaw on a stick, I think you pretty much did it the simplest and fastest way possible.

Back