Solo limb lowering: VIDEO

NickfromWI

King of Splices
What could I do to clean up this process?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/flGXgCGBGRw?list=UUVkWHiNsd0qH_4pOal_u0eA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

love
nick

It looked nice and clean to me Nick. Gotta love working on a Holiday, for Christ sake we have so many of them! I like how you left a wrap on the trunk while lowering so you could just grab the limb and pull.

I may have just taken a gas pole-saw to that limb, it looked like you didn't have to climb it. Ya know? Clear the tips, cinch up a running Bowline, tie off, and make the cut. Probably wouldn't be as clean though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just let it fall? And smash up them roses and the guava tree growing below? I would have none of that!

As expected, the trunk wrap was too much friction. In retrospect I should've just done half a figure 8 around the two trunks. Would've allowed for easy adjustment of friction.

Portawrap would've been smoother, but I wasn't about to take 2 minutes to tie it on.

love
nick

I'm thinking about splicing a snap shackle like this one

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361303888.252471.jpg

Onto the end of a rigging line. I could clip my fishing reel throwline on the pin of the shackle then lower the limb from up in the tree and then pull the throwline to release the shackle. I would be able to lower a few limbs without climbing down.

Limited use, I know- but might come in handy on occasion

love
nick

Most of the work I do is "solo". Looks right in line with what I would have done. I use what most people would call "extreme" caution to not damage lawn, shrubs, other trees, etc. It's very important to me that the home owner gets work that is above and beyond what they are expecting.
I like the idea of the snap shackle.
Nice work, well done.

Skip the shackle, just attach your second and third limbs midline with sling and biner. I f you need to lower a fourth or fifth and are running out of line, lower it the other direction until it hangscounter balanced off the other limbs til you reach the ground... use a static, retrievable block set up, but with a BMS belay spool if you don't want to natural crotch it for friction, or its too heavy.

Snap is only like $30.

I'm not following the description, Southsound. Draw a peechur and take a pic with the phone!

love
nick

I would have used a portawrap, or you can tie the rope off up where you are sling the branch and clip a biner from the sling to the line and lower the limb in the 'belly' of the line, once it is on the ground you simply pull the tail trhough the biner and repeat. You can lower as many limbs as you have sling and retrieve them when you are on the ground.

At a real keyboard now. The attachment uploader isn't working for some reason. I think that I have a picture of the static, retrievable block technique. Maybe later.

Let's say you have to lower 5 limbs large enough to require a lower device or trunk wrap from 40'. I like the BMS belay spool, and don't have a mini-porty. The BS will/ should release if you use the static, removable technique described in Art and Science of Practical Rigging.

Lower the first piece attached to the end of the rope, using up 40'. Land the piece and the rope will be slack.

Attach the second piece with a sling and carabiner at the 45' mark on the rope (this will be at your position), using the 45'-90' section of the rope. Land the piece. Rope is slack.

Attach the third piece at the 100' mark, lowering until the 140' mark. Land the piece. Rope is slack.

Attach the 4th limb at 145' along the rope, lower out until you have 10' of tail. Land the piece. Rope is slack.

Now, for the 5th piece, advance the extra tail through the BS and tie the last limb to lower the other direction. Cut and lower 5' or so until the rope is tight against the weight of the 4th piece.

Descend. Untie pieces 1-4. You now have 190' of lowering line to drop limb 5 the remaining 35' to the ground.

Having used the static, removable technique that is described in ASPR for remotely hanging a block without quadrupling the force, but having used a BS instead, you can retrieve you lowering device from the ground after lowering your last piece.

As I think about this more...all of this would be having no doubling of force of a block up top and Lowering Device down low. This would only have the force of the weight of the limb (if not shock loading).

A port-a-wrap will not easily remotely release using the static, removable technique because of the cleats/ posts.

Alternatively, you can anchor a second rope at the ground (call this the LD line, in contrast to the lowering line). Take the LD line up the tree with you to the rigging position. Put the LD line through a crotch to redirect it, then anchor the LD on the "far" side of the crotch. Use your lowering line in the LD.

(If using a porty, you will need to change the direction in which the rope feeds so that it is normally operated for limb 5 if you are in a situation where you will run out of line before the last piece is landed. The BS is symmetrical, so it doesn't need to have the lowering line resituated.)

Descend.

If you don't want to carry the LD down the tree...
If you are not having the limb 5 scenario where you will lower the last piece and have both end on the ground, but rather only have the four limbs, your lowering line 'tail' will be off the ground from lowering limb 4. I would secure it to the lowering device after landing limb 4. This allows you to use your lowering line to pull your LD line down through the crotch after untying the LD line from the ground anchor.

I would have used a portawrap, or you can tie the rope off up where you are sling the branch and clip a biner from the sling to the line and lower the limb in the 'belly' of the line, once it is on the ground you simply pull the tail trhough the biner and repeat. You can lower as many limbs as you have sling and retrieve them when you are on the ground.

Double Whip Tackle style.

Nick and Stephan chimed in while I was writing that all out. Nick's way is simpler for most scenarios. My way might work out better for some. My main point was that you don't have to only attach to the end of the line. I've natural crotched trunk wood using my described method (minus the LD) just by clove hitching the top of the log, midline, and having an overhead crotch for friction. No slings used.

I'm thinking about splicing a snap shackle like this one

View attachment 46148

Onto the end of a rigging line. I could clip my fishing reel throwline on the pin of the shackle then lower the limb from up in the tree and then pull the throwline to release the shackle. I would be able to lower a few limbs without climbing down.

Limited use, I know- but might come in handy on occasion

love
nick
This snap shackle can't work for your purpose Nick, because the release pin has to be pulled side way to open the shackle. But the thin pulling line is parallel ( or almost) to the lowering line.
There are other models with a release system in line with the main line. I didn't look at the rating tough.
This for example :
http://distrimarine.com/product.php?id_product=12795
or this
http://distrimarine.com/product.php?id_product=12800

It will work. I use it for a retrievable redirect and it works just fine.

I'll check the links you posted right now.

love
nick

Nick,
would be fairly easy to set that line at or near the balance point, from the ground. Makes it easier to handle and gives a bit more clearance.. 1/2 wrap, step on the rope, then cut it with the power pruner.

Nick,
would be fairly easy to set that line at or near the balance point, from the ground. Makes it easier to handle and gives a bit more clearance.. 1/2 wrap, step on the rope, then cut it with the power pruner.

Step on it? with your foot? thats a joke right?

I'd have put it on a skid steer. :)

Every time I see a post come up about that belay spool I get interested in it. What makes it better than a small porty?

Because of the squarish shape of the bollard, and its position above, you can pull rope back through it with little resistance (with a wrap) The natural roll of the rope lifts most of it off the steel, lowering friction. People rave about it though, I have never used one personally just re-itterating what I have read from other posts.

I'd have put it on a skid steer. :)

Every time I see a post come up about that belay spool I get interested in it. What makes it better than a small porty?

There's a couple of vids on YouTube using the Belay Spool. :)

And of course, nick is not inclined to use a small skid steer either.:lol:

I am still looking for a small Porty. They are a little harder to come by. I have yet to use the Belay spool.

Not quite Nick, I didn't mean just let it fall into the rose bush. Cinch up a bowline on that limb from the ground, tie off limb, grab chainsaw and clear what you can reach, then stand up on that brick wall and cut it with the gas pole saw. Lower to ground.

Murph, I'll have to try that half wrap stomp thing.

Back