"so....hows bizness"

Not much going on here. Work has dried up and the phone quit ringing this week. I suspect it's because school starts back up next week and everybody is spending money on other stuff. It's scary though because last year this happened and I only worked about 10 days between the start of school and Christmas. I need one more good month to finish paying off the money I borrowed to get through last winter.

I did about 15 bids and lost all of them , then i did 6 bids and got 3 jobs.
Next week that equals pay for all my men and a good profit for me.
Crazy Dazzzzz

Tuesday I put out a bid for removing 120ish trees (pretty small on average, 3-4 days of tree work, then the stumps), missed it by $500. That woulda been a nice job to get. Gotta remind yourself that every year it gets slower around now, picks up a little, then slacks off for Thanksgiving/Christmas. It's odd that during slow months, stump grinding seems to pick up.

I have slowed down some. I sat two days last week. I have three or four days filled next week after I get back from vacation but my phone isn't ringing off the hook.

He's getting along well enough, still not driving but starting to look around for a truck. We're wrapping up the irrigation system so hopefully that will be the end of "his" big projects for a while :lol:

Business is going steady here. I bid a big pine tree here a little while back for $1700. $1200 to me $500 for the crane. Apparently a new 'competitor' of mine bid the same tree for $350. I'll be keeping an eye/ear to the ground as to how this one goes down.

im squeezing my competitors margins lately
they started cutting each others throats and fighting like dogs over jobs
so im taking the biggest hardest trees i can find and doing them for a fuzz over cost
i make my days wage as a climber and the chipper and truck get most of what they should be getting in a day
once in awhile one of us works for free, but im trying to avoid that
lots of calls, lots of bids to do, glad busy season is here, its not as good as years past...wondering if it will go till christmas as usual or if it will slow down?

To stay busy I have been sending a 3 man crew out at 2 man crew rates.

Be lot's of hope and change this winter again. I hope folks make enough change to make it till spring.

I've got a wee bit of work, a couple backed out because of other expenses.

I also lost a couple from not answering the phone. It's really hard to answer or hear a phone when a chipper is blaring or your up in a tree. These ones didn't leave a message to call back, then they told my friend who gave them my number I never called them back. It's really hard to call them back if you don't have a message with a name and number.

A time or two I'd call back a missed call...that turned out to be the most awkward thing I've done. I would call back saying who I am and where I'm from, then they'd be lost in space. "I never called you", "Who are you?", "What do you want?", "Why are you calling me?" "What trees?"

So I don't call back missed calls without a message anymore.

It sucks to lose work but I don't blame you for not calling back a hang-up. No message and they blame you for not returning their call? Not sure I'd even work for that kind of jackass anyhow.

My buddy called me with like this attitude about why I didn't call them back. He runs around in his truck all day so he can answer every call. I'm owner operated.

Yo MORON, no name/no number, NO CALL BACK. Leave a message, I'm not a mind reader.

Like I said, I have called back in the past, 9/10 was a deer in the headlights.

Back