"so....hows bizness"

I'm trying to scoop up as much work as I can right now while the dollars are flowing. When guys call me at mid day and want me to come out for 'one limb' or 'one easy tree', many times I can talk them into doing it that same afternoon. Since most of my jobs are only a couple hours, it's nice to scoop up an extra C-note or two after lunch while I'm already dirty and have the truck out.

I'm doing a little more bartering this year as well. I'm more willing than ever to swap out services or swap gear for bucket work.

Still pretty slow here, ive got a ton of marketing going out this month and next, hopefully that'll get things going

I have a job lined up with a guy who has a tig welder, and I'm planning on doing some bartering....gonna get him to weld a port-a-wrap. Anybody know what kind of steel is best to use to make it?

We just got finished talking with the possible new climber/foreman and wow, it really opened us up. He's extremely experienced and we've known him and worked him for over 15 years. It really felt like that when we bring him in(almost no doubt right now about that) our business will finally grow to something where we can compete with other, larger companies. There was talk of more advance rigging, including getting a GRCS sometime, and a real shop, a mini skid steer with a BMG, etc. Even Mom, who rarely gets excited about the business anymore, is eager to hire him. Hopefully we can sort everything out and he'll be a Treemendous Tree Care Inc. employee very soon!!

Cool deal. Just be sure and learn from him as well. Don't let yourselves get in a position where your business is dependant on one employee. Not only does that give him too much power, but it can also put your family in a tremendous bind when the day finally arrives that he leaves (whether on good or bad terms).

Thanks Skwerl!! We, along with him, wants this company to grow and he wants to grow along with it right now. Not only will he be a climber, but also a groundman, salesman, etc. He'll be involved in a lot of the aspects of the biz, since we all agreed that one brain alone can't grow a company as well as 2 or 3.

Every foreman/ climber gets to a point where they think, "you need more than I need you." Its what happens at that point that determines how its going to work out over the long haul.

My business is still busy, busy, busy. I think it will slow down when school gets out, so I am trying to grab every dollar that comes along.

Cool deal. Just be sure and learn from him as well. Don't let yourselves get in a position where your business is dependant on one employee. Not only does that give him too much power, but it can also put your family in a tremendous bind when the day finally arrives that he leaves (whether on good or bad terms).

ah ha ha...no chit...i strained myself and had my top climber become full time,
6 months later he' gets chitty with me and i sent him on his way, truly sad
so what the skwerl says, i can do all the chit he did, some a little slower(srt)
sure sucks on those big jobs to have to be the climber, the foreman , and the truck driver.

Thanks Skwerl!! We, along with him, wants this company to grow and he wants to grow along with it right now. Not only will he be a climber, but also a groundman, salesman, etc. He'll be involved in a lot of the aspects of the biz, since we all agreed that one brain alone can't grow a company as well as 2 or 3.

yeah well, that lasts only so long....

work is dead hear, but i got a bunch of jobs done and waiting to be paid, just need to keep the boys busy

Weed eating because of last years fires and this years rain is out of control... People want their mandated fire clearance NOW. Or ASAP. Insurance companies are pushing the boundaries of the mandated clearance up to 300 feet around all buildings or structures. I am now booked till late July. Mostly low dollar work, but work non the less.

I'm real slow right now, but half of May, all of June and 1 week in July and 1 week in August is already booked.

Might have a mistletoe job for you Steve. I am going to be talking to her soon. Saw her today but she had company .... Black oak on a driveway (gravel) that looks a bit risky for a climb higher into the problem areas.

Sure doesn't feel like a recession down here - yet.

A buddy of mine got a bid to clear a piece of land - 90' x 60'. Just had brush on it, nothing over 12' high and a few inches across. Guy bid $2,800. Later, when he learned he could chip and leave, he lowered to $1,900.

He sure didn't need the business that bad.

I chatted with some other tree services in town and they aren't as busy as I am. I hope that means I am doing something right. My first quarter gross and net are up more than 25% over last year.

steady and booked for the next couple weeks or so, just looked at a really big install job, condo site to be landscaped, I might work up a bid on it.

Back