SNIPE

That "eh" is catching and you don't even know you are doing it after while . I found my self sticking an eh on the end of things after I worked in Sarnia Ont . That must have been a hoot ,a midwestern drone with a Canadian eh .

My post was in Bermudian, it doesn't translate well in type, you need the accent...
eh, ehhhh (short 'e' sound, not the long 'a' of the canukians)...with an upward inflection accompanied by shaking your hand and various iterations of the eye roll can convey a wide range of meanings!
One day I'll meet you lot and baffle you with my language.

One day I'll meet you lot and baffle you with my language.
Oh I bet I could out top you if I used some of the regional slang .;)

Some accents though seriously fastinate me .Eastern Pa stands out like a sore thumb and so does the tidewater area of Virginia and North Carolina .

Yeah, my new foreman is from Nazareth, PA. Really, really good Italian dude. He speaks in such a weird, subdued, monotone style though, that--combined with his accent--he's really easy to misunderstand! I also notice that after everything I tell him, he's always saying, "What!?":lol:

To which you should reply, "When?" Then when he says, Who?", you say, 'Where?". A good meaningful conversation!

The difference between eastern and western Pa is as pronounced as South Carolina is to Mass .It's just something people pick up from being there a long time .

It changes in Ohio too .I can pick out a Clevelander out of a crowd .South close to KY or West by Gawd Va is a difference too .

Myself being somewhat of a flat land hillbilly farmer type have a midwestern monotone which after hearing myself makes me sound,at least to myself like a moron .It just happens,there isn't much you can do about it .

I like trying to place strangers by their accent. I was talking to this guy for quite a while, trying to place him. I picked up Boston, a bit of NY, and something else, which I couldn't put my finger on. I finally asked. He said it was Scandinavian from Minnesota.

I'm pretty good at guessing countries, regional, beyond the obvious is more difficult.

I can pick a bermy from ten paces in a crowded room...or try the cafeteria at Lahey Clinic...or the departure lounge at Gatwick, or JFK, or Logan...
This is quite the derail, I hope no-one snipes at me for it :)

A couple years ago Baileys sent a bunch of stuff to one of our GTG's .In amongst the stuff was a bunch of those posters .I have one myself .

Back