SNIPE

Geeze this stuff gets confusing to me .Know I understand the good old flat bottom ,wedge down most of use,the open face wedge top and bottom and the west coast Humboldt .Lawdy you get to talking about snipes which I think is an invisable bird ,Dutchmen which are just people you can't understand or those slice type things Gerry B used in the top of that big redwood I'm kinda in the lost lane .On that slice thing whatever it's called I still wonder how they ever got it knocked out of the log .

I'm going to have to read the book I guess rather than just look at the pictures

What? The block, cheese, pie, undercut? Lot of names for it, but never heard of slice. I bored, pryed, split, sawed, whittled, kicked and cussed to get them out. Of course. All standard procedure.

What ever it's called it must have weighed a ton .I have no idea about redwood but had it been oak ,at least 4-500 ibs .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
was there a picture you're refering to? did i miss a thread?

History going on here. Back around '85 I think, Jerry topped a redwood in a big way. Theres a poster you may have seen titled "150' up, still 7' diameter". You may need to buy his other book too;)

Speak of the devil!

<ha>

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 7
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 7
  • a3.JPG
    a3.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 41
  • a4.JPG
    a4.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 41
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 7
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 7
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 41
That poster is still a topic of conversation at tree faller's tea breaks thousands of miles away. "Sono takai tokoro mada ni meter ijo chokai desuyo! Segoy....shingeranai!" (and other sorted exclamations of disbelief and approval)

Such as: " Det er kraftædeme løgn det der, det må være fotoshoppet. Ellers er det godt nok noget af et sæt nosser den stodder render rundt med!!!!"

That poster's up on the wall in our shop. We all use it to make the trees we do every day look small.;)

I just sent that poster in to get framed... only took 3 years. :) I would not trade it for anything! Thanks Gerry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeh Gerry.......now that's a block out face and a snipe.............oh wow...................must have been really fun.......the one for the books..........thanks for the inspiration.........

Back