SNIPE

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
maybe i wasn't clear with my question. Like a dutchman, leave it on the side to swing away from.......So with the German, which side do you do you use it on? Is this any clearer?

Use it on the tension side of the hinge, isn't that clear? If you felling a tree 90 degrees to the head, one side of the hinge has tension, the other is under compression. The side with the German cut will hold longer.

By allowing more wood fibers to fold before breaking. It does help to understand that trees are made out of wood, and wood has certain properties with variation based upon species, degree of water content, grain direction, etc. I don't mean disrespect by this, only that understanding wood will help in visualizing tree falling dynamics. Greater fiber elongation allows for more bendability before breaking, and the ability to swing a tree.

clear.............but to confirm,,,,,,,,,,,the side you want to pull the tree towards.............

Haha, sorry, isn't that the lay? Where you want the tree to land? The middle of the face cut?:dur: I'm a little thick if you couldn't tell:D

Maybe thick, but patient. :)

Sierra...'Understanding Wood', by Dr. R. Bruce Hoadley, is a fine text. That and Jerry's book on your shelf covers mucho territory, from Alaska to the Yucatan.

It seems like you might get a similar effect with a standard face, but instead of the cut from the upper angle cut stopping at the apex, it carries down further on one side. This is how i interpreted Sig's method. Somewhat cross grain doing that, but in the direction of the wood bending.

got it...........i'll give it a try and get back to you

now i've got it.............you are certainly correct........... a picture is worth a thousand words..........as well as the explaination which details "why" it works.

>>so now..............could one apply the German to aggressivly so, by unintention, pull the tree past the lead and away from the undercut?

Absolutely. Any time one side of the hinge lets go before the other, intentional or otherwise, the forces of gravity, wind, other trees, wood fiber and many other forces of nature take control.

It seems like you might get a similar effect with a standard face, but instead of the cut from the upper angle cut stopping at the apex, it carries down further on one side. This is how i interpreted Sig's method. Somewhat cross grain doing that, but in the direction of the wood bending.

That would have the effect of a dutchman, Jay. Use with caution.

Thanks, Jerry, for the clarification. Instead of better folding, eliminating hinge wood instead. That makes sense.

right.............if things get too fancy, just go back to old school, stick to the basics.........

Good discussion, all. Sort of sorry I missed taking part in it it over the long holiday weekend, but y'all didn't need another cook in the kitchen.
:thumbup:

Gerry: Did you receive my PM with address, etc, for your book? Thanks. ST

Back