Small VS Large Trucks

Which one?

• Yes! I'll sacrifice comfort and crash survivability to save money

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No! I like a smooth ride and the safety of a full sized vehicle

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
:D:D:D

New truck! 1999 Ford Ranger, 81,300 miles, 3.0L V6, big tires (brand new), 4x4, tow package, bedliner, tinted windows, souped up stereo with 4 nice mids and a sub. Yes, the stepside bed ain't so great but I can overlook that.

I bought it from a Marine helicopter mechanic who has kept it in excellent condition mechanically and cosmetically. I couldn't ask for a better previous owner. $5000. I think I got a great deal. I'm going to take it into a mechanic this week to have it looked over to make sure.

Attachments

• IMGP2510.resized.JPG
    IMGP2510.resized.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey, that palm tree on the left, the lower part of the trunk, is that what's called "shaved?"

Yes, a toolbox will definitely be a necessity. I'll be checking craig's list to see if I can find a used one nearby.

I'm not entirely sure about the palm tree, but I think the frond bases just naturally fell off of that part.

As little bed space as you've got I might opt for a tonneau setup over a conventional toolbox.

I have a 3fot by 2 foot by 18" deep in bed box I can letcha have on the cheap, it a bit of a drive to get it though. :(

Hey Leon that was an awsome deal on that truck. The US ranger is a totally different beast to the european version.

You just need a propane conversion now, for extra cheap motoring ;)

I converted my plow truck last year was about 2g and now it runs on gas or propane. Front tank is gas rear tank is propane.

nice truck!

did you know the origin of the step side?

It was originally made to be a milk truck so the milkman could step onto the side to pick up the heavy milk containers

Nice truck Leon!! I personally like the look of the step side on the Rangers, the bed is so small you don't loose much space anyways. Great buy!

Butch, I had a '91 Ranger with the four in it, after I had to put the second head on it I upped everything. I got the SVO cam and Dynomax cat back exhaust. I averaged 19mpg. We took that truck to Vegas and back (never again in a standard cab!) the best we got was 24mpg, the worst was 14Mpg in the mountains.
My '97 F-150 std. cab short bed with the 4.2l 6 and five speed started out at 18mpg, I switched to synthetic and got 19mpg. I changed the rear gears to 3:73 from 3:42 and dropped back to 18mpg ( I couldn't hardly haul anything before)
My '04 F-150 ext. cab long bed tow package with 3:73 rear 5.4l 8 auto (which I would have been happy at 14) gets 16 with synthetic.
Does that help any? (Change you're oil to synthetic (yes it's expensive, but you should gain 1mpg) look at a cold air intake system, look at a good cat back exhaust system (remember, the engine is just an air pump, make it efficient) and look into a power programmer. None of these things are really cheap, but they will all improve fuel economy, and thats what it's about, do all of them, and you might forget all about the small trucks!

Good advice! I'm definitely interested in increasing airflow!

And "you're" is a contraction of the words "you are." ;)

Back