Small VS Large Trucks

Which one?

• Yes! I'll sacrifice comfort and crash survivability to save money

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No! I like a smooth ride and the safety of a full sized vehicle

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
it can get addicting, i have an edge chip and i forget what kind of injectors, straight piped for a few years, now i have a performance muffler. my truck scoots along! i try and avoid the diesel site mostly, they cost me to much money:D

Finding a used toolbox for a stepdside Ranger is easier said than done! And new ones are bucks. :(

I really don't like tonneau covers. I really wanted a crossbed box, but it looks like I can way better deal on a chest style box. Is that what you see at Lowes, Brian?

No, I was talking about the crossbed boxes. They may have gone up in the last 3-4 months, but last year when I replaced mine the small ones were less than $200 everywhere.

I see many similar brands in Lowe's, HD and all the auto parts stores as well. They are all basically the same with the locks and latches being the biggest difference.

ive always liked the "5th wheel" deep boxes that are level with the top of the bed, better than saddle boxes. the space under a saddle box is wasted and ends up trash gets under there. the 5th wheel boxes have much more room

ive always liked the "5th wheel" deep boxes that are level with the top of the bed, better than saddle boxes. the space under a saddle box is wasted and ends up trash gets under there. the 5th wheel boxes have much more room

In a small/compact pickup I have to agree. In my truck I like that little room for hauling lumber. It's nice to be able to slide a piece of sheerock of plywood under the box and have it all supported by the bed/tailgate.
I also vowed I would never get another double lid toolbox, it's just too hard to get stuff in and out of!! I got the extra deep one on my new truck, I'm not sure that was a good idea yet, it's a really long ways to the bottom!!!

I really wanted a crossbed box, but finding one that will fit a stepside Ranger is just too difficult. I checked Lowes, Home Despot, and all the truck accessory shops. It would have to be special ordered. I ended up getting a chest box instead, which actually has more capacity. I'm going to try to think up some kind of quick release for the bolts that hold it in so that I can easily take it out when I want to.

Attachments

• IMGP2515.resized.JPG
    IMGP2515.resized.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 4
Looks sharp Leon!
I put a strip of metal in the interior bottom of the box about 6inch long by about 2 inches wide and put a bolt with washer down through the bed, washer and nylon nut tightened down from under the bed. to reduce easy removal of the box of goods. Pretty easy to remove when you have the box empty and the tools handy.

Drill 2-4 holes through the bed, pass a nice big bolt through with the threads facing up...put another nut on top so the bolt doesn't want to fall through the bed. Buy wing nuts, drill holes through the bottem of the box and bammo!

I did this on my old truck with some big 5/8" bolts and wingnuts, worked great.

The whole truck bed is kinda tiny...

I knew when I bought it that the smaller bed was going to be an annoyance, but it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

For what it's worth that box will easily hold a couple chainsaws, plus climbing gear, so it'll do what I need it to for now.

Drill 2-4 holes through the bed, pass a nice big bolt through with the threads facing up...put another nut on top so the bolt doesn't want to fall through the bed. Buy wing nuts, drill holes through the bottem of the box and bammo!

I did this on my old truck with some big 5/8" bolts and wingnuts, worked great.

Thanks Brendon, wingnuts were exactly what I was thinking but couldn't figure out how to keep the bolt from falling out when I took them off. That second nut is the ticket.

Great idea, Brendon. I guess that's why you make the big bucks! 8)

Only thing I'd add is to throw a piece of cardboard or thin plywood in the bottom of the box. It makes a huge difference in keeping moisture/ oil/ gas soaked up and will also help keep those wingnuts from poking up into your stuff. I'd recommend lining up the bolt holes close to the edge of the toolbox rather than in the middle.

I did it on my old truck with large multi holed clevis pins, washers and then with cotter pins sticking through the hole. Its much quicker and easier than bolts and wing nuts.

Attachments

• adjust_clevis.jpg
    adjust_clevis.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 24
  • hairpin_cotter1.jpg
    hairpin_cotter1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 23
Or a combination of Brendon's and Darin's ideas: Attach the bolt sticking up through the bed with a nut and then drill a hole through the tip of the bolt for a cotter pin/clip on the inside of the box.
;)

The wingnuts seem as those they would hold the box down tight even when empty while the cotterpins would allow it to rattle. I drive a 1ton with two extra leafs if it can rattle it will rattle on my ride.

Back