Small VS Large Trucks

Which one?

• Yes! I'll sacrifice comfort and crash survivability to save money

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No! I like a smooth ride and the safety of a full sized vehicle

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
Add foam under the box so it is not metal on metal. It will reduce the chances of rust too.

Actually the foam will hold moisture and cause rust to form quicker. The truck bed is galvanized and will not rust under most conditions even if the paint is scratched or worn off. The box is aluminum and won't rust either. Most things that people do to 'prevent rust' end up causing rust, and many things that people think cause rust really don't.
(A good example is the fear many people have of putting a plastic bed liner in a truck bed 'because the bed will rust'. It simply doesn't happen.)

Truck beds rust from exposure to moisture and/or salt. Driving on salted roads in the snow, getting salty mud packed into all the crevices on the underside of the bed and never washing it out will result in rust. The dry upper part of the bed doesn't rust even where all the paint is worn off due to use. Therefore, don't put foam or anything else between the box and truck bed that will trap moisture.

LJ and I exchanged a few text messages about 5.5 hours ago and he told me they had about 5 more road hours to reach Arborworks1. its happenning amigo :)

do so, and let him know how handy a GPS is, the young lad was using something he referred to as a 'map'.

HA! Carl called me back, said he was pretty good at reading that colored paper thing and didn't need no steenkin GPS. He also said that he wasn't giving up his gun permanently but is using it as collateral for the trailer and will buy the gun back in short order. I told ya he wasn't going to give up one of his guns!
:lol:

Leon, FWIW. A couple of trucks ago I had a chest type box which I used for both saws and ropes and climbing gear. To maximize the set up I installed rails along the sides (inside) of the box at a height that allowed my saws to fit under the plywood shelves I dropped in on top of the rails. The shelving was split so that I could remove the stuff on one side and raise that strip of plywood to access the bottom. I carried saws on the bottom, a climbing saw on one side of the second level and had ropes and climbing gear isolated from the saws on the other side of the top.

RJS, I hear ya, LJ and I texted a bit this eve, guess those fellas are driving an all nighter, hope they drive safe!

:)

The problem with that is that everything eventually ends up with bar oil on the bottom and nothing to soak it up. Saws dribble oil, bar oil jugs dribble oil, fuel cans dribble gas and oil, and all your stuff ends up sitting in a thin film of oil. You pick it up, switch hands and then you get a handful of oily crud. Plywood, cardboard or carpet will keep the bottoms of your jugs and saws dry enough that you don't get a handful of oily slime every time you grab a tool or jug out of the box.

The problem with that is that everything eventually ends up with bar oil on the bottom and nothing to soak it up. Saws dribble oil, bar oil jugs dribble oil, fuel cans dribble gas and oil, and all your stuff ends up sitting in a thin film of oil. You pick it up, switch hands and then you get a handful of oily crud. Plywood, cardboard or carpet will keep the bottoms of your jugs and saws dry enough that you don't get a handful of oily slime every time you grab a tool or jug out of the box.

My forestry truck has some wooden slats in the cross bed box. They let the oil go down onto the metal and also give the chains a wooden thing to rest on. It's all oily.

True Skwerl, but then again I usually clean out the two boxes I have every 6 months or so.

If I was running a crew, I would set it up different

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wish they would make toolboxes with false bottoms. Hell, most don't even have drain holes. I had to drill them in mine.

Back