Small VS Large Trucks

Which one?

• Yes! I'll sacrifice comfort and crash survivability to save money

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No! I like a smooth ride and the safety of a full sized vehicle

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
:Pna na na na na naaa, we euros have better cars and trucks than you guys :P

Yea, but we have....um LOTS of other stuff! 8)

Like the Cadillac EL Dorado, or the Buick Skylark. Both of which can CRUSH your little teeny itty bitty little tin foil cars!

HA! so there!

Maybe this was mentioned, I didn't read all the way through. My former boss has a brand new GMC 1500 with a V-8 that drops cylinders for light loads. Mostly for bidding and kid hauling. Gets over 20 mpg. Has also towed one of the skid steers with it, which is pushing it even for the one tons.:O

The way I see it, the smaller truck pays it's way by being cheaper overall. Lower purchase price, maintenance, and hopefully better economy. A set of tires has got to be cheaper on a Ranger than the $900/set tires for my 3/4 ton. If a compact truck doesn't offer a cost of ownership savings over a full size, then I don't see the point.

Dave

I got an older 90 toyota 4wd truck and a 07 extended cab tacoma. Both of them get close to 20 but thats about it.. The new one is more roomy inside for sure.

To be real honest my next truck will be a fullsize... I am already looking...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another reason I wanted a smaller truck was the smaller part, easier to negotiate crowded parking lots and tight spaces.

I wonder how much the quality of the ride is sacrificed when stepping down to a smaller frame? I've never had a small truck before.

Me either since highschool. I had a '69 Datsun pick-up. Lol what a beater I paid $250 for it. I don't remember the ride in particular but do remember it was a pos.

ride probably get better, less weight and lighter suspension. just my guess, dont really remember after i upsized

No, I don't think the ride improves any. You need the weight and the longer wheel base for a smooth ride.

A buddy of mine had an early 70's Datsun, we called it Ratsun and ran the shit out of it. When he got a newer truck we put motocross helmets on and proceeded to roll it in to a ditch a few times, pulled i out with the tractor and did it again. for years it sat in a field and my buddy would say once in a while, ' it still runs, want me to fire it up?"

as for ride quality, I cant believe the difference going from the 95 F250 to the '04 GMC 1500 has made, its like riding in a cadillac compared to the tooth rattler. I had a toyota long box, an '83 4x4, it was a choppy ride also.

I've added the Ranger to my list of trucks that I will be considering, if only for the fact that it has better gas mileage than any other 4x4 truck I've looked at, even with the 4.0L V6. It's also slightly lower priced than many other similar options, although I don't expect it to have the reliability or comfort of a Toyota of the same size.

The Mazda B2600 is the Ford Ranger with the 4 banger, the Mazda B3000 is the Ranger with the 3.0 v6 and the Mazda B4000 is the Ranger with the 4.0 v6. Yes, they are the same truck with different logos. Just as all the auto manufacturers share car frames among different brands. Ford and Mazda have been partnered for 15-20 years. Dodge/ Chrysler is partnered with Mitsubishi on their small trucks and some cars.

Leon, the Ranger is very reliable regardless of what the reviews say. I put over 100k miles on mine and it was the most reliable vehicle I ever owned by far. And the ride wasn't bad either. But forget the EPA mileage numbers you've read, the 4.0 will get 16-17 mpg around town and 20 on the highway. That's about the same as Butch's full size Chevy.

Dodge, or whatever they are calling themselves these days, has dropped Mitsu, and is partnered with a Chinese company for their small cars.:what:

Dave

I've added the Ranger to my list of trucks that I will be considering, if only for the fact that it has better gas mileage than any other 4x4 truck I've looked at, even with the 4.0L V6. It's also slightly lower priced than many other similar options, although I don't expect it to have the reliability or comfort of a Toyota of the same size.

Guy at work has one with the 4.0, best he can get is 16mpg out of it,....

Back