Small VS Large Trucks

Which one?

• Yes! I'll sacrifice comfort and crash survivability to save money

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No! I like a smooth ride and the safety of a full sized vehicle

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
My B-n-L has a Ranger. My Fishing pard has a Mazda. They do real well at getting there and back again but the comfort for a big guy sucks-a lot. The most comfortable small pick-up trucklet I've tried was a Nissan. Runner up was the Chevy S10/S15 series. In full size pick-ups Chevy?GMC leads in ride comfort ( I like my Fords but GM trucks ride more like a luxury car.)
It all comes back to a 6 cyl fullsize getting virtually the same milage as the shrunken versions.

My F350 (7.3L) gets 14 MPH lately. For a 1 ton truck hauling the dump trailer with equipment and/or logs, that's not bad at all.

And I can haul the whole family in the cab! :D

Think diesel.

what about a motorcycle? I lug a 3120xp and climbing gear on mine!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
lol01.gif

My F350 (7.3L) gets 14 MPH lately. For a 1 ton truck hauling the dump trailer with equipment and/or logs, that's not bad at all.

And I can haul the whole family in the cab! :D

Think diesel.

Something must be wrong with your f350, Jamin. Mine goes 55 mph easily 8)

Thanks for the advice again, folks. I have arrived in San Diego and now the vehicle searching will commence. I have about 10 days to buy something before I have to hit the road again, so whatever I buy will largely be influenced by what's available. Budget is around $8000 maximum.

Wish me luck!

Welcome back to the states amigo! Hope you got somewhere to hang your hat while you're there.

Yup, I'm staying at my aunt and uncle's house, so I'm very comfortable. I feel like I've been moving around almost as much as you!

Anyone know anything about the Toyota T100: good, bad, ugly?

Some say the V6 was underpowered for the vehicle, especially if you haul or tow, Leon. These same folks may have been myopic to a degree, comparing the T100 to domestic full-sized 1/2 tons.

I don't think it got particularly good mpg.

With your $8k limit, you are not likely to be able to swing a Tundra, so looking at a T100 might not be that bad an idea.

Thanks Burnham, I talked to a buddy who gave me similar feedback. He also said that they are very easy to overload.

As far as overloading, I can tell you with certainty that the Ranger will haul a heck of a lot more weight than the S-10. I overloaded the crap out of my '94 many times and it always handled it fine. My neighbor's '94 S-10 can't haul 15 bags of concrete mix.

Brian, I had a '94 Mazda B2300, which is a Ranger clone. I also loaded the heck out of mine and was impressed at how well it handled it, although the little 4 cylinder struggled a bit.

I'm actually going to look at a '99 Ranger in a couple hours.

I had a 03 or 04 Sonoma actually the ZR2 highrider edition. Nice looking truck, great for burning out with but didn't haul anything worth a crap. One sport quad in the back and that thing sagged badly. Oh yah and it seemed to get crap for mileage.

Anybody know anything about the GMC/Chevy Colorado? I know a few people that have them and they really seem to like them. I rode in a four door, and it was pretty comfy, and I'm 6'3". They have four and five cylinder options.

Dave

If I was buying on looks alone, I'd buy a Colorado. Yes, they look good to me.

Back