Small VS Large Trucks

Which one?

• Yes! I'll sacrifice comfort and crash survivability to save money

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No! I like a smooth ride and the safety of a full sized vehicle

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
Yup. My mechanic told me that he sees guys with the Ford v8's getting a consistent 3 mpg increase with dual exhaust. The motor has to breathe, better power, more efficient, so you don't need to mash the go-go pedal as hard. True duals from the cats back, not the fake 'stick a T on the pipe and run two pipes out the back' job. A reputable shop gave me a quote of $350 to do my truck. I may go for it next month along with the Airraid intake.

The free'er flowing you get that air in and out is the key. One of these days the exhaust on the chip truck is getting cut off, and an intake, I just can't bring myself to do it yet. The noise is what I don''t look forward too, early 99 7.3 sounds like a baby screaming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know when I cut out the catalyic converter on my '82 Malibu it really opened it up!

Yeah... there are not many shops that I know of that will cut a cat off a vehicle.

But there are so many aftermarket "cat-back" systems out there it's crazy. A 3" cat-back exhaust sytem will really help out and wake up that little V-6 too!

Gary

keeping your tire pressure correct makes a huge difference. Also leaving your tailgate down actually decreases your fuel economy and wears out the tires faster.

Use the correct oil, service your engine properly, and do not forget to change the air filter.

...Also leaving your tailgate down actually decreases your fuel economy and wears out the tires faster.

This is true...

I love seeing all the chuckleheads around here driving with their tailgates down...

Also, very good point on the air pressure in the tires Frans... Everybody has overlooked that at one time or another. Just easy to forget about them until their almost flat.

Gary

Tire pressure and driving habits are huge.

As for chuckleheads... driving the Expedition at 85mph...

Wind resistance is exponentially related to speed so slowing down saves big time. Yes I'm the one in the right lane driving 60. You can beep and wave if you want. I'll wave back.

TS

first thing I did when I got my new truck was go to Lordco and get me a K&N filter and swap out the filthy paper filter.
I may go to better exhaust when I get some $$ hanging around with no better use. Likely a Flowmaster setup or something similiar.

The most effecient cruising speed varies from vehicle to vehicle. The range I heard was 30-40, but that's still slower than my average drive.

True duals from the cats back, not the fake 'stick a T on the pipe and run two pipes out the back' job......

I laugh with I see guys with a big fat exhaust tip (mostly on Hondas, Subarus etc.) and the actual exhaust system is only about 1.5 inches. My Dodge Cummins has a 4 inch exhaust from the turbo back. The turbo is from the 8.3 liter Cummins.

I put a Walker 21463 direct flow 3.5 inch exaust system on my old '86 f350.
Seemed to make a difference.

As much as I like the K'N air filters, ya gotta be carefull and wash the things when needed.

I have seen alot of them get gummed up faster than the paper elements. Must be the oil in them.

Don't want to do like these guys.:)
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pz2eCFoafXk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pz2eCFoafXk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Back