Small VS Large Trucks

Which one?

• Yes! I'll sacrifice comfort and crash survivability to save money

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • No! I like a smooth ride and the safety of a full sized vehicle

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
thinking about it I saw a city pickup the other day that had "hydrogen powered" stickers all over it. wonder where they fill up? Havent seen any ethanol pumps yet, only know of one biodiesel supply station.

heres your new walmart mobile:D 1 5th to the mile:lol:

Attachments

• bicycler0998.gif
    bicycler0998.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 67
I owned one of the mits-u-bis-hi mighty max trucks for 10 years and all I done was go thru the tires. 10 years 225,000 miles and not the first problem.

I averaged about 23-24 mpg. Heres one on ebay for $1,200.00 with 70,000

Attachments

• 7994_1.JPG
    7994_1.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 69
thinking about it I saw a city pickup the other day that had "hydrogen powered" stickers all over it. wonder where they fill up? Havent seen any ethanol pumps yet, only know of one biodiesel supply station.

Hybrids run on gas/ethanol.

The hydro vehicles are in limite production/testing as far as I know.

I didn't vote on the poll because neither option fit.

MB, I would keep your present truck, especially if it is paid for and is running good. I love my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 diesel 6 spd. and have no intention of selling it. I plan to run that thing till it can't be fixed anymore and dies.

I don't like small pickups. Lack of towing and carrying capacity kills it for me, plus I feel pretty safe driving my Dodge.

Ok, I will beat the dead horse.

Just got back from Costa Rica. Almost every car is diesel. Diesel SUVs.

The Hilux (Tacoma) with a 3.0 turbo diesel at 35 mpg.

There, like the rest of the WORLD, diesel is cheaper than gas.

We have no fuel crisis, rather a car crisis.

Oh, and the toyota corolla, 56mpg.

The Ford Ranger even comes in diesel.

we can with the right votes;) not to change the subject. my buddy just sold his 01 cummins and is looking for a toyota

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Diesel is just too fricking LOUD. I could tolerate in a work truck, but not my POV.

Oh they still hammer like they are about to spit the crankshaft out on the ground at any moment . Rattle,clank ,bang tick,tick .

That's what gives diesel its' torque. The fuel explodes in the cylinder, vs gasoline which burns. What you are hearing is all the explosions. Diesel engines are much easier to soup up than gas engines. There are a lot of 12 to 14 sec. 1/4 mi. diesel pickups running around the states. Good thing about a souped up diesel is that you generally get better mpg if you don't use the extra power and you can still tow and use it as a daily driver.

thinking of getting one of these next year sometime. 34 mpg in town.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/EscapeHybrid/?searchid=426441|23233138|167778855

You guys just have crap vehicles. You should import one of these Butch - 193hp turbo diesel 6 speed, gets 40mpg on the run, would blow away your v6 from the lights, sounds quieter than a petrol in the cab, and handles like a car...
nissan%20navara%20pickup.jpg

That's what gives diesel its' torque. The fuel explodes in the cylinder, vs gasoline which burns. What you are hearing is all the explosions. Diesel engines are much easier to soup up than gas engines. There are a lot of 12 to 14 sec. 1/4 mi. diesel pickups running around the states. Good thing about a souped up diesel is that you generally get better mpg if you don't use the extra power and you can still tow and use it as a daily driver.
Oh I don't know about being easier to soup up but you can crank some power with tweeked pump pressures and big old injectors but it comes with a price too .

They ae doing a lot with gasoline engines .Stay tuned because the next series of Ford V6's will have variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust valves . I imagine it wil be available next year .

In reality it is the same as running a race cam for power and a mild fuel effecient camshaft for economy.You only get the power when you need it .

Now,for what it's worth ,the new Merc sitting in the garage gets around 26-27 MPG and it's a full size automobile .At less than 1000 miles on it ,I imagine that figure will improve somewhat as it becomes broken in .

I keep hearing that the by 2010 the suv's are epa mandated to get 35 or better mpgs. I'm sure this will filter through to the trucks as well.

Hell the steering wheel is even on the correct side!

How much would one of those cost on the isle?

Aventura model with leather, aircon, satnav, and all the toys is $39k
Base model is about $10k cheaper. Dont get me wrong, its not as rugged as an F150, nor will it have the grunt of a straight 6 cummins, but if its the comfort and economy of a car, with the practicality of a pickup, any of the jap / euro pickups are brilliant.
Here is the latest Ford Ranger with its 160hp TDCi diesel top spec model is about $30k
Ford%20Ranger%202007.jpg

Getting back to vehicles that are actually available in the US...
(daydreaming about fancy vehicles not available in this market is nice, but a waste of time)

Butch, your v6 Chevy is going to be as efficient or more efficient than just about anything else you could get for your needs. The Chevies get consistently better mileage than the Fords and Dodges. My old '94 Ranger with the 4.0 v6 only got about 17 around town, 20 on the highway. My F150 only gets 13. My dad's 2005 Chevy 5.3 gets over 20 on the highway. I'd guess that your v6 gets better mileage than most smaller trucks.

If you want to improve it, start with taking it to a well equipped shop (like a dealer or dealer alternative) for a full tune up, check the engine codes, etc. An aftermarket air intake (like Airraid) and a true dual exhaust can help also. I'd bet if you put $700-$800 into your truck it would get even better mileage than you get now, and that would be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying another vehicle.

Back