skiing the bunny slopes

My girls are sick and there is no joy in Mudville. No skiing and no sledding but lots of new fluffy snow piling up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hope you and yours are healthy pronto, cowboy!

In case any of ya'll missed this, here it is again, in a more appropriate thread:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d8qsNSaM2qg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d8qsNSaM2qg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

haha, and at 80mph the poles are just ballast, and not much at that:D

I typically keep it under 65....

.....unless I'm running from da redcoats.....

"To turn, is to admit defeat"

My goal is to make loads of figure eights with the kid and not to get plowed into by her, she loves to take me out on the slopes.

Alpental today.....

did not disappoint!!

even tho the top, where the real gnar is, needs more snow.

Took this high traverse underneath the 400 foot cliff band,and spotted this way cool tree. Two weeks ago, there was no snow at this level...

Attachments

• IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2099.JPG
    IMG_2099.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 6
Hell, they filmed everything BUT the jump.

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tkZ7Tyf7_YM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tkZ7Tyf7_YM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Why can't ya'll embed videos?

thats the sucky part, wonder why the chopper didnt stay out for the camera:?

Thanks, James, I'd heard about Fred's lucky mistake shortly after it happened, but this was the first time I'd seen the footage.

Wonder why they did not use the Chopper as his spotter routing him so as not to fall off a cliff!.. LMAO

They tried...but at the speed he was going, they had little warning that he was on the wrong line....

Seems, that with the vastness of the terrain above the cliff, that a coupla marker flags woulda been a good thing.

He did an amazing job of going with the flow when he realized his mistake. In fact, he held his body position, unlike what happened to Jamie Pierre on his 245 foot jump when he landed on his head.....and survived that....

Seems, that with the vastness of the terrain above the cliff, that a coupla marker flags woulda been a good thing.

He did an amazing job...

I agree, some flags would definitely helped his cause.. I did not think about his speed Roger. Bet the speed did come into play as he went off though. Cleared all the rocks. And taking a second look at his launch, he really did have good form for the fall. Man there must have been some deep powder to cushion that fall though.

finally took the time to watch the vid, twice, wow, 320 foot drop! thats nuts! and unhurt, unreal.

107 meters...350 feet....

not beyond comprehension that he survived--the landing was steep, and a coupla meters deep.....

skydivers have survived chute snafus---fallen into swamps, etc....

but,man, my pants woulda needed to be burned if that'd been me on that launch.

I used to ski those same runs! Looks like you had a great day up there. Thanks for the trip down memory lane RB.

Oh yeah? When was this? I had a pass there from 77 to 97.....

Third pic, upper left, highest set of tracks, needs a bit more snow....it's called T wat Slot....

My first trip to Crystal pass was in 85, prolly went between fifteen to twenty times a season for the next 10 years. (Including White pass Whistler, and others.) I loved South back country so much terrain over there that most people miss.

Then I moved away, and did get to ski Taos, NM. and Telluride. Also made it to Innsbruck once! Too bad they didn't have optimum conditions but it was awesome skiing the Alps anyway.

I shot the cover of a 1997 calendar at Taos.....love that place, if the snow is good, with enuf cover to hike the ridges.

If you ever picked up Sports NW Mag, or "The Winter Guide" both by co-founder of Powder, Jake Moe, you saw tons of my photos.....

The rain event in the hills may (let's hope) stabilize our very sketchy snowpack. But it's deep enough to ski the runs off the back side, down to Hwy 410.....there's many ways down, but most require bushwhacking the bottom 1500 feet...but if there's enuf snow, you can ski thru the forest the whole 3500-23700 feet.

I first skied "Little Richards" in '79. At that time, the pucker brush wasn't grown up, and you could make turns the full 3600 vert to the road--it had slid in the late 60's. After that, it's a 4 mile skate out to the Xtal road, where thumbing it usually brings a ride within a short time. It starts 1/2 way up the hike to The Throne. Then, off the back side of Silver Basin leads to an open slope way below Crystal Lakes, and then to the summer hiking trail, which is abunch of high speed switchbacks, making for a fun luge run..just gotta make the turns.

Kemper's is a big curving chute off the north side of Silver Queen, which went big in the massive 98-99 snows, taking out 1000 feet of trees. so it's good for 2500 feet of NW facing bliss. There's more lines off REX and near Brand X,which require less of a skate on the road.

I never saw them but I be willing to bet they're awesome.

I just got my deck back from the shop that was repairing it. (i dinged the edge). the amount i ride these days don't justify the cost of a new board. there was a bit of a horrible stain from a bad waxing accident years ago. all came back brand spanking new...tons of life left in the old girl.... just need to take her out now on scotlands little hills.

Jamie

im looking for new skiboots is there a backcountry boot??? what do you that ski in the woods, or off the slope have?

Back