Home based ski lodge :D

Burnham

Woods walker
My lovely lady took her XC skis out for a turn yesterday. One of the very few things my orthopedic surgeon strongly recommended against was skiing, not that skiing is hard on artificial hip joints, but rather that falling is high risk for dislocations...so I watched and smiled, while cursing being restricted under my breath.

Melanie ski! 003.JPG Melanie ski! 003.JPG Melanie ski! 029.JPG Melanie ski! 007.JPG Melanie ski! 003.JPG Melanie ski! 029.JPG Melanie ski! 007.JPG Melanie ski! 025 Dec 31 2021.JPG

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry about the double posted pics...I cannot figure out how to repair that, let alone how I managed to do so in the first place :|:.

Been doing a bit of xc skiing here as well with my daughter on winter break. Conditions were great until yesterday when some rain came. Now it's getting cold and will freeze into an icy mess... life in southeast AK I guess.

Done did that once....it ain't as easy as it looks.
We were at a state park with trails...small hills, was fun.

Someone there had a big ass golden retiever, he was loose, damn dog would ambush you, come out of nowhere and take you out. I think he picked on newbies.

Ed

Do I recall correctly that you hand split all that wood? Is that a 1 year wood cycle we see? Impressive stash. Glad to see enjoying the snow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yessir, all hand split. And no, that's quite a few seasons of woodstove fuel. We use about 2 cords a year, ish. We try to never get under 3 years supply on hand. If all our sheds are full, we store about 5 to 6 years usage. Usually, it would be more like 3 to 4 years usage.

Here is how we manage our firewood:
Cut in the field into rounds, almost always under US Forest Service home use permit, (at a whopping $10 per cord:)). Split into barely :) manageable portions. Load the truck with half a cord or a little more, to it's load capacity. Haul home and then stack in our sheds as is. Let dry about 3 years as the previously harvested cords are used.

We have a small firewood box on the front porch (under the porch roof)...maybe 2.5x4 foot, with a 1x1 foot kindling box in the lower corner... we hand split as needed from the sheds to keep that box full.

That box might hold enough for 10 or 12 days, if temps are mild...or three to four days if not :).

Back