Sizwill? Sizwheel? Whizzy? WTH (What the Heck)

My understanding is yes. The tree starts off in the direction it wants to go and swings around to the lay. I think the soft Dutchman is a series of pizza slices on one side of the face. All the points are aligned, and each step lower is a wider slice.

I have forced over some leaners with wedges lately and those cuts would be fiddly and time consuming but a lot less sweat…if they worked. Makes sense out in the woods.

Doug-fir has great hinging characteristics.

Species and location are important.

Lots of things can be taken from the woods to residential settings weighing the risks and rewards.

Used a soft dutchman on this head leaner today to swing it off a apple tree and shed. Favor was toward the oak below it and a tad towards the apple. Faced it to the right of the apple. Threw in a two curf soft dutch to swing the tops more to the right and hopefully pop the butt off and jump down hill a smidge. Good hinge wood in a canyon oak. Placed her nicely and only scared the targets. Fiber pull pretty appearant on the uphill of the hinge.
The other three stems were limb locked, so I crippled the small lead and let the larger twin pull it into the desired lay. Head was 90 out to the left. But not much of a tree ...

Drop and walks for a friend that needs more light on some solar panels.
20230908_172059.jpg
20230908_172120.jpg 20230908_172134.jpg 20230908_172146.jpg

Back