Shot show

Bet your arse; if I was building a tactical weapon to carry on foreign soil, 7.62 x 39 it would be.

I don't know if the statistics still hold, but a few years back ,the Mauser 98K was still recognized as the most produced weapon of all, if you included all the foreign take offs.

So with that in mind, 7,92X57 might not be a bad choice either.

Correct myself here, the .308 winmag is the civilian version of the 7.62x51, as fired in the FN FAL, another one of the most widely produced rifles of all.

Why the hell do you think I said Exactemento?

I thought that was what you meant.

So I guess great minds don't always think alike:lol:

Correct myself here, the .308 winmag is the civilian version of the 7.62x51, as fired in the FN FAL, another one of the most widely produced rifles of all.

You are referring to the .308 Winchester, aren't you Ed? Not to be confused with the .300 Winchester Magnum, which is a more powerful cartridge firing the same caliber bullet. The .308 Win and 7.62x51 are interchangeable. Sort of like the .223 Remington and 5.56x45. The main difference has to do with chamber throat dimensions. .223 rounds can be safely fired in 5.56 guns, but there is a chance that 5.56 rounds may produce excess pressure in a .223. military brass is often thicker walled than .223 brass, so pressures are different when loading same charges.

Yes, I realize that the 30-30 has a great place in American history and American hearts, but honestly it is the rifle equivalent of a stone axe.
Well it's not a weapon of war and never was intended as one . What it is is a later version of the earlier Winchester lever action which I think was first introduced in 1863 .

The very mention of a 30/30 stateside pretty much means "deer rifle " in addition to the most popular model which the Winchester 1894 version .If I'm not mistaken the 30/30 was the first Winchester round designed for smokeless powder .

I have a pre 1964 model 94 which I got from my deceased father .Pre '64 means it's an all machined action ,no stamping and considered to be better than later models .

Now they are what they are .They aren't a Holland and Holland ,they aren't a Weatherby .What they are is a good dependable lower priced ,well ,deer rifle .

In the mountains the average deer is taken at less than 100 yards,closer to 80 .At that range they are just about as accurate as a 30:06,270 Winchester or 7 mm mag .If you can hit a paper plate at 100 yards that's close enough for a deer .At ranges over 200 though they fall off fast .

Don't get me wrong, Al.
I have shot the Winchester 30-30 plenty when I lived in Idaho and liked it a lot. It is a semi ballistic cartridge, but that is part of the fun.

But for a modern "Tactical" weapon, no way!

Well on that the only "tactical " weapons I ever fired were the M1 Garand,Browning automatic rifle and Thomson sub machine gun when I was in the service .They're relics now too .

They probabley considered the 1903 Springfield ,.303 Lee enfield ,M 1917 Eddystone ( aka American enfield ) and German Mauser 7 by 57 as tactical too in the day --which has long passed .:)

It's also overkill for home defense! That round will go through the intruder, two walls and end up in the neighbors house! I've seen one AD in a house once, scary stuff what that round can do!
A side not, you can fire the .223 out of a 7.62x39 if you have to. Happened a lot in Vietnam from what I understand, the Vietcong would run out of ammo, and having no use for the M-16, would grab the ammo at hand and shoot it out of the AK's.

Skewing off as usual .An old trick by some of the forward recon was to find a mess of 7.62 AK 47 rounds and pour the powder out and pack them full of C4 and toss them down on the ground .A couple days later pop-pop- pop- kerbang .That C4 would blow the Ak's up like a bomb .--well time bomb really ---or so they said .

I don't get to do this very often, so bear over with me.

Both of you are using an apostrophe in "AK's" , but since it is plural, not genetive, it should just be "AKs".

Hopefully!

You are referring to the .308 Winchester, aren't you Ed? Not to be confused with the .300 Winchester Magnum, which is a more powerful cartridge firing the same caliber bullet. The .308 Win and 7.62x51 are interchangeable. Sort of like the .223 Remington and 5.56x45. The main difference has to do with chamber throat dimensions. .223 rounds can be safely fired in 5.56 guns, but there is a chance that 5.56 rounds may produce excess pressure in a .223. military brass is often thicker walled than .223 brass, so pressures are different when loading same charges.
Your right, I'm getting the .308 and the .300 win mag mixed up.

It's also overkill for home defense! That round will go through the intruder, two walls and end up in the neighbors house! I've seen one AD in a house once, scary stuff what that round can do!
A side not, you can fire the .223 out of a 7.62x39 if you have to. Happened a lot in Vietnam from what I understand, the Vietcong would run out of ammo, and having no use for the M-16, would grab the ammo at hand and shoot it out of the AK's.

Nope.

AK 47 Fires the 7.62X39,the case is 39mm long.M16 fires 5.56X45 so it won't fit.There are more reasons why it won't work.The former is the most obvious and simple.

Nope.

AK 47 Fires the 7.62X39,the case is 39mm long.M16 fires 5.56X45 so it won't fit.There are more reasons why it won't work.The former is the most obvious and simple.

I'd always heard that and wondered, a little google search and you are right! It's military propaganda it seems! Interesting!

Your right, I'm getting the .308 and the .300 win mag mixed up.
If I'm not mistaken they are the same 30 caliber but one is measured land to land while the other is land to groove .Of course the shell or casing is different .

308 isn't bad to shoot .300 mag will come back on you a tad bit ,kicks like a mule .

They fire the exact same diameter bullet, Al. It's just the designation that's deceiving. Just as a .270 Winchester fires a .277" diameter bullet, the .308 Win was named the exact size, whilst the .30-06 Springfield, .300 Win Mag, .300 Weatherby Mag, .300 Savage, etc all use the same diameter bullet. I have loaded the same bullets in both .308 Win and .300 Win Mag. No difference except casing....and the resulting "oomph".

What has caught my attention a lot over time is that calibers of fame in Europe have often struggled to find a following here in the states. I can't speak for vice versa. The first of which that comes to mind is the 6.5x55 Swede. I wonder if its the metric vs standard that keeps them in the dark to hunters here in the states. The 6.5x55 is an absolutely outstanding and super performing cartridge that ballisticly blows some of our cherished cartridges out of the water.

Interesting....
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-ruger-american-rifle-a-legend-is-born/

specs-400x244.jpg

Unless ruger has contracted a new barrel maker I would run away from that gun. I've spent a lot of time and money trying to make ruger rifles shoot and only once was I successful. While I love rugers, their barrels are known across the land to be the worst in the business.

Unless ruger has contracted a new barrel maker I would run away from that gun. I've spent a lot of time and money trying to make ruger rifles shoot and only once was I successful. While I love rugers, their barrels are known across the land to be the worst in the business.

Not questioning your experience with Rugers, but I have a model 77 in .270 Win that's a shooter, and I have friends who own Rugers that are shooters. I've only run across one recently that wasn't a shooter.

Back