Shot me a Bear

How bad was the whole in the back?

A friend of mine (taxadermist) mounted the Hason Buck! Ummm lets just say, the hunter sure didn't know much about preseving the head and hide! But then again what do you expect from a "truck hunter"?:roll:

Someone jealous that Hanson has the record and not you ... don't throw rocks in a glass house:cry:

By the way ... preacher that is one fine bear. I like my bear but I don't go crazy about getting one every year that is for sure. My daughter wants one this coming year soooo guess you know what I'm doing this spring.

tracks at the shop yesterday morning

Attachments

• bearTracks.jpg
    bearTracks.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was snacking on some bear jerky this evening and though I had a bone fragment, then I thought I had broke a tooth. Upon further inspection, I think this is a bullet fragment. Looks like part of the jacket.

Christmas 2010 079.jpg

I've bitten down on lead shot in birds but never a bullet fragment....

just got some bear jerky from a relative in oregon
from the trip i missed a month back.....bummed i missed it
but made christmas...and i get a snack

Nice Animal!

I am supprised that the Silver Tips didn't open up.I have used the same Projectile in my .308,same weight as well.I have had good results using these on Pigs and Deer.The velocity your 7mm Produces should have made them expand rapidly.The Silver Tip isn't known as being a particularly tough Bullet.

I have had a couple of cases of the Projectile not expanding,but this was with Bargin Basement Ammo (PMC).I shot two Red Hinds from Above,the Bullets passed clean through from the Back to the lower Ribcage like a FMJ.I used the rest of the Box to shoot Targets with my M14.

Yeah, not the best bear round... Must have done some fragmentating though. If I were hunting bear only and not deer/bear I prolly would have been shootin' 175 grain Nostler partitions.

7mm Magnums have a reputation of shedding Jackets in the Higher Bullet weights.Most Bullets are not constructed well enough for the Projectile to stay together at high Velocity and at close range.Noslers are probaby the pick of the Bunch though.

I have never Shot a Bear,but plenty of large Game.I tried Barnes "Tripple Shock" Projectiles last time I was home.I used the 165grn Projectile in my .308 with decent results.I was advised to drop ten grains from the weight of the typical projectile you use.I didn't listen and still bought the 165 instead of the 150 or even 130grn.The Barnes have a reputation of retaining almost all their weight,I never got to check as all the shots I took passed clean through the Animals.Even out to 300m.Having said that,they still did the same job as the Serria Game Kings I normally use.Just that they cost alot more.

At the end of the day,its not the Bullet so much as where you put it.

Yeah, not the best bear round... Must have done some fragmentating though. If I were hunting bear only and not deer/bear I prolly would have been shootin' 175 grain Nostler partitions.

7MM Mag - 140 Barnes Triple Shock ... will kill any animal in North America with authority.

:? Kill 'em with authority as opposed to just kind of killing them:P

I know whatcha mean. It's nice to drop 'em where they stand, both ethically as well as practically.

I hand load the 7 Mag aand others but haven't hunted with my own loads in about 5 years. The best target loads are seldom the best hunting loads. Never loaded the Barns brand though.

:? Kill 'em with authority as opposed to just kind of killing them:P

I know whatcha mean. It's nice to drop 'em where they stand, both ethically as well as practically.

I hand load the 7 Mag aand others but haven't hunted with my own loads in about 5 years. The best target loads are seldom the best hunting loads. Never loaded the Barns brand though.

Jess give the TSX 140 grains a chance and I doubt you'll go back. I do like ballistic tips for deer as they simply just drop where they are hit where the TSX tend to drill them hard (thru and thru) but the deer will move abit. I reload so love to play with different combos.

Just wondering about reloading.... making your own ammunition. Is there a prescribed formula as to how much powder gets put into a shell based on volume? How does that work? In the states a friend of mine was into trap shooting in a big way, and I believe he was making his own loads. His rifle blew up one day when shooting and did a bad number on his arm. Still, I guess that he might have been lucky. There was a lot of speculation about the cause, but I don't know if they ever came to a definitive conclusion. His dad owned a bait and tackle and the gun was on display in a case, what was left of it.

Just wondering about reloading.... making your own ammunition. Is there a prescribed formula as to how much powder gets put into a shell based on volume? How does that work? In the states a friend of mine was into trap shooting in a big way, and I believe he was making his own loads. His rifle blew up one day when shooting and did a bad number on his arm. Still. I guess that he might have been lucky. There was a lot of speculation about the cause, but I don't know if they ever came to a definitive conclusion. His dad owned a bait and tackle and the gun was on display in a case, what was left of it.

Yes.
Reloading manuals are used to determine loads, cartridge overall length and most every other aspect of hand loading. They publish a variety of loads for any given bullet weight and primer/case combination.

SAAMI lists maximum pleasures for a given load. Velocities and accuracy vary gun to gun and often the fastest or hottest loads are not the most accurate.

The Primary benefit for hand loading rifle rounds is the ability to build a round around a specific chamber. Commercially produced ammo has to be "generic" enough to fire out of all firearms in that caliber. When you hand load, the final product might shoot extremely accurately out of your rifle but not so well out of another or even not safely in any other rifle.

Half of the fun is building the load, experimenting with different burn rate powders, weights of projectiles and C.O.L. and shooting to see how minor changes made big differences at extended ranges.
With pistol ammo, it was just way less expensive shooting reloads.

The exploded gun might have been a double powder charge, barrel obstruction, under seaed bullet and on and on it goes.

Thanks Jesse, sounds like a degree of risk if you don't stay within certain guidelines, and also don't do it properly.

one of my concerns as I shoot left handed and the rifles I have shot are all right discharge, the cartridge goes across in front of my face rather than away from me, as it should in a barrel mishap :(

Back