SHERRILL 150% Price Guarantee

I like a good deal as much as anyone else, but it hurts me to see this kind of market manipulation. In the long run we wont have a choice of where we buy.

And when I didn't think I could develop any MORE respect for Mr. Beranek 8).

This type of market strategy is reminiscent of large scale corporate tactics, and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. These types of tactics prey on human weakness; we need to become educated consumers who can think without a crutch.

Small business truly will become the backbone of the economy in the future. Large scale corporations often become lazy and too consumed with the ever growing complications inherent in being so large.

Sure some companies pull it off, but the consumer is growing restless and more discerning. There is a quality to the small business, the ability to offer attention and awareness of situations which large scale companies often miss or simply don't have the time or the energy to locate with over priced surveys and six figure market analyst salaries. When it comes down to it, it is people interacting with people. When that gets lost, the whole thing folds.

Okay, sorry rant over :P.

jp:D

it's about the best price yall...

not for me. reasonable price, reasonable product/service. Thats how I buy stuff and thats how I sell myself and my services, I think it would be hippo-critical to do any different.

How can someone shop at the cheapest, low frills, shitty place in town then try and charge premium prices for their services which could also be discounted in the same manner?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fug that sales gimmick.

You guys bitch about "any tree for $700.00" but if you can buy goods at hack pricing techniques its a good deal??

Heck yeah it is a good deal. If I can buy a Silky Sugoi for thirty dollars it is a freaking good deal. Silky is a premium product and it is on sale. What is your bitch? It must be the woman in me, but I love a good sale.

Heck yeah it is a good deal. If I can buy a Silky Sugoi for thirty dollars it is a freaking good deal. Silky is a premium product and it is on sale. What is your bitch? It must be the woman in me, but I love a good sale.

Shit wish my wife would shop for a silky? she would think its at Victoria secret

When I got my Silky T shirt, my wife thought it was some sort of sex lotion.

I still prefer Kanzawa. The blade on mine is over a year old and still sharp. Silky blades last me about 4 months and I feel like it is not cutting well and need to be changed out.

I've always had a hard time with a company that will "beat any price!"

That tells me a couple of things about the company.

#1, they haven't done thier homework and are not necessarily interested in consistently bringing the customer the best deal or they are choosing to use a higher priced supplier and expecting thier customers to pay that premium.

#2 they probably havent been giving honest prices in the first place.

There have been a number of products they have carried that have been outrageously high in price. For example right now they are selling Oral Ivy for $19. With a simple Google search I have found it for as low as $8.

At the same time though many of thier posted pices have come down close enough, or below, to the competion's prices to make them more competitive.

They also bring to the table is convenience, variety, availability and superlative service. That in itself is often enough to command a premium in pricing, though perhaps not a 100% premium as in the Oral Ivy example.

I still comparison shop and often sherrill has the overall best deal and I will buy on those terms. More often I split my order among several vendors.

Bottom line for me is I don't go after these price-match gimmicks.

If they haven't given me thier best price to begin with then I don't feel they have been honest with me from the get-go.

And if they aren't honest with me up front, then I'd prefer to not do buisiness with them.

I treat my business the same way, if I will do anythign for a Buck then well...I am more worried about the buck than I am my customer.

I do like SherrillTree and have always had a good trade with them. I just make sure I comparison shop. I might buy into the "beat the price" deal if I knew that once they were aware of the price difference they would modify thier prices, but I'm not sure there is any evidence that is what they are doing.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

There have been a number of products they have carried that have been outrageously high in price. For example right now they are selling Oral Ivy for $19. With a simple Google search I have found it for as low as $8.

I think that's just their 150% guarantee!:D

Dear Blasters,

Since it’s missing from the discussion, let me weigh in with the fact that the company so busily undercutting SherrillTree’s very competitive pricing is currently under its 3rd ownership in the short time I’ve known them. Perhaps others will recall my friend Mike Kauffman from the days when he owned Wesspur? Mike really worked for his living. To date I’ve not seen the new company at an industry event or single educational conference, while last year SherrillTree attended and sponsored well over 100 such programs.

After 25-years in this business (48-years since incorporation), and as the CEO still operating in my hometown of Greensboro NC, SherrillTree still feels like the underdog supplier to tree care co's that we were 15 years ago. SherrillTree proudly provide significant investment either financially or through employee participation to regional and national ISA events, schools and universities, independent training organizations, the TREEfund, and as some may have attended, Vermeer seminars, all of which my partners and I are committed to supporting as long as you allow us to make it possible.

As for the point about corporate mentality, even you Jerry might concur that one sign of a business seeking to “trade again” is when they aggressively undercut a short list of popular products in an attempt to “grow sales.” The aforementioned competitor has been hard at such price-sniping for approximately 14 months. I don’t blame or harbor ill will for such tactics, as long as they don’t harm consumers with inferior products.

At the same time, I’d hope that professionals like yourselves support Sherrill's interest in making your work life better through product innovation, education and industry participation, none of which comes cheap.

As a small business ourselves (less than 50 people) we have long since faced the fact that there’s likely to be a competitor putting item(s) on sale mid year, or even Joe Rite Aid possessing too much Oral Ivy and performing a mid winter stock reduction. And from those facts evolved our 150% price guarantee. If someone cuts $10 off our competitive market price, we make it $15. If they give free shipping, we give free shipping. In one way I consider the offer a service to loyal customers, in another I consider it an open hatch for determined competitors bent on reaching the bottom to attain their goal.

We’re not perfect by any means, merely determined to hang around.

Best to all,

Tobe

“Life is tough, wear chaps.” :/:

Thanks for stopping in Tobe.
Personally I have four arborist / outdoor power equipment within about 45 minutes drive (one of them a Vermeer dealer, that has some Sherrill stuff in stock usually), 3 of the four carry climbing gear etc. I like to buy from my local suppliers most times because the shipping costs begin to mount up as well as the lag time to get the gear.

The price guarantee is a steep cut to compete, most larger chain stores around here do it with the 'we will beat any advertised price by 10%" schtick, then they go and have proprietary brands so no one is technically selling EXACTLY the same thing, a luxury your company doesnt have.

Sherrill's contributions to the tree industry are important and can't happen unless the company makes money. I look for competitive prices, not necessarily the lowest.

I appreciate what you guys do for the industry in general...and your service and quality has always been excellent with me.

Hey Tobe, before you go can you straighten out the abortion thread too??

I don't buy anywhere but Sherrills, or occasionally Vermeer.

the service alone makes em worthwhile.

Hell, the Sherrills catalog probably teaches more climbers practical knowledge than any other source.

Like I said before I chose to spread my purchases around to make certain all the arborist supply companies endure.

Tobe, the acquirement of small private companies by corporations always stirs fears in me of market manipulation and the loss of the personal attention and service a customer was used to receiving from the small business.

I didn't mean it as an attack towards you. As I've always regarded you as a friend and Sherrill's as a great resource. Together we have had a lot of fun, and helped each other on a lot with different projects. And I hope to continue with the same kind of relationship in the future.

No problem Jerry, just as long as my involvement here is not misconstrued by rumor. I'm as involved as ever and hopefully have good distance left to go.

Also want to remind you lounge lizards that this topic revolves around a 150% price guarantee policy from SherrillTree that's merely protecting loyal customers as opposed to SherrillTree proactively the one undercutting small town suppliers out here. Our focus is much more targeted on providing quality, variety and innovation as opposed to being the only guy left standing. There's room for a lot of places to shop.

Merry Christmas all,

t

No problem Jerry, just as long as my involvement here is not misconstrued by rumor. I'm as involved as ever and hopefully have good distance left to go.

So can you define your involvement with Sherrills if you have sold them, or a controlling interest of them? its good to know you're still there, or around. I've met you a couple of times, and talked on the phone several times, you have been the "face" of sherrills.
That would clear the air, so to speak.

Thanks Tobe

Does someone tip you off when we are talking about Sherrills or does your spidey sense start to tingle?

Thank you, Tobe

I have to say this thread is an open reminder for me of the far reaching effect on the people both posting and viewing the forums,,, and internet as a whole. That for myself posting a statement would have such a far reaching effect.

It certainly opened my eyes to carelessness and generalization is my postings on the internet.

My apologies to all.

Back