Sarah takes 6 hours to paint a fence and John takes 12 hours to paint the same fence.

Use NoScript in the browser to block scripts from sites. It adds a fair amount of work to browsing, but will speed up page loads, and can block trackers and ad/malware injections. I block everything by default, and over time allow select scripts, and permablock others. Sometimes when you go to a page, nothing will showup. You then have to selectively allow scripts to see the content. News sites are the worst. You'll allow a couple scripts, and they call a bunch more, and on and on. It's just a cascading shitstorm of javascript. I usually opt to simply not read the site. It's mostly crap anyway. Other sites you may get the text, but no pictures. That's fine a lot of the time. Sometimes you just want to read something.

You can also use something like CookieAutoDelete. You can use that to automatically delete cookies and site storage when you close the tab. Whitelist sites like here so you don't have to keep logging back in, but random websites will be like the first time you visited every time. IOW, sites that have a limited number of "free" views won't know how many articles you've read.

It goes without saying you should use an adblocker. Aside from the annoyance and visual clutter, malware gets delivered through ad networks. Chrome's gonna soon be nerfing the ability of adblockers to work(surprise, google's an ad company), but firefox will still support full featured adblocking for the foreseeable future. UblockOrigin is the one to use.

It isn't that bad. I'm trying to cram a lot of info in limited space, so it looks more confusing than it is. It's like step by step written instructions on tying your shoelaces. Sounds almost impossible, but all you have to do is do it. NoScript in full block mode isn't for everyone. It does makes things significantly harder, but it can be made easier, with a bit less work for the end user. Same with Ublock. I run it in medium mode which gives a lot more control, but with more work. In easy mode, it's just set and forget, and it probably won't cause issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It isn't that bad. I'm trying to cram a lot of info in limited space, so it looks more confusing than it is. It's like step by step written instructions on tying your shoelaces. Sounds almost impossible, but all you have to do is do it.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

How long will it take to paint a fence twice as long if they work together?

It took me over 10 minutes to get what I think is the right answer.

You are told that there are individual brown socks and black socks in a drawer in the ratio of five black socks for every four brown socks. How many socks do you have to pull out of the drawer to be certain to have at least one pair of either color?

And let’s say that to buy a bat and a ball costs $1.10. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

I got em both wrong and I'm pissed about it

#2 = 5¢

Gotta think on #1 a bit

edit:
#1 is giving me problems. I'm gonna wing it and say three socks, but I don't have the math to back me up.

edit2:
Ok, I got it, but won't post my reasoning to give others a chance.

Last edited:
You are told that there are individual brown socks and black socks in a drawer in the ratio of five black socks for every four brown socks. How many socks do you have to pull out of the drawer to be certain to have at least one pair of either color?

And let’s say that to buy a bat and a ball costs $1.10. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

I got em both wrong and I'm pissed about it
5 cents.

Everyone knows socks are grey!
FTFY. If I were to buy all new socks, they'd all be med-heavy grey wool. I've kinda got a disaster going on atm though. Between thrift shops, and outlets I've got a menagerie of colors/styles, but all wool aside from a couple gifts. When I did have all grey wool, I could mix match brands, and they didn't look incorrect unless you really studied them.

#2 = 5¢

Gotta think on #1 a bit

edit:
#1 is giving me problems. I'm gonna wing it and say three socks, but I don't have the math to back me up.

John got it right, according to sara.

I’d argue that I’d have to empty the sock drawer to get two matches....I can’t tell you how many times I’ve opened a tool box with a 200-piece sockets set and pulled out 719 sockets before finding the one I needed!

Best socks I've ever come across are Bailey's logger sock, the grey summer version.
Used to buy 10 dozen at the time for the whole company, but Bailey's won't ship overseas any more and I'm down to my last 5 pairs:cry:

Back