Rope Runner Pro

This is a good one.

This is a classic. Full on promotional gig.

This climb I had the pleasure of watching in person.

I'm recalling that it was at the 2012 comp that as I was walking across the park, a young man getting his gear together for the throw bag event hailed me..."Are you Burnham?" says he. Politely introduced himself when I admitted it was so :).

That was Kevin Bingham. As I recall it, he recognized me from pics here at the Tree House. We visited a little. Not near as much as I would have liked, but he was off to his event...which I watched, and was quite impressed with. He had a couple of turns of bad luck, didn't satisfy himself I think...but he was clearly talented far beyond any other tosser I then knew ;).

Do you recall that meeting Kevin, lo these many years later?

I do! It was quite an honor.

I remember that throw line event well too. I Had it double bagged in the highest crotch but got too hasty and got myself in a tangle.

I watched that last night...a VERY good video. Development of something like this is amazing. People are brilliant.

Very nice.

Geezus, do I actually have to buy one of these damn things now, I don't even climb srt :|:. And I already own RW 1 and 2:|:.

Aight, serious question, will the RR Pro take 1/2'' ropes? I have a triple lifetime supply of 1/2" 16 strand and if I can get a mechanical hitch that will take it, that would be a very good thing. 1/2" is a hair too thick for easy, efficient use in the zig zag so I use Imori in it which is very nice but I want to put my 1/2'' lines to use too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will be testing some 1/2"ropes amongst others a little later today, Cory.

Awesome! I'd love that info, much appreciated

They should work. 16 strand is often very bouncy in a stationary configuration. It reminds me a little of riding a mountain bike with full shocks in the city. Which has both its advantages and disadvantages. A lot of people hate bounce but it is possible to use the bounce to your advantage.

Yup, 13mm 16 strand BRW works fine. Aside from the bounce potential, you will definitely feel the difference in those large strands. Like going down a gravel road. But really, it worked fine.

Nick made a comment in one of the videos that the RRP would work on any line. I don't have any of the fancy new ropes, but of the ones I have I'd say that was the truth. It worked well on Arbor Master 13mm 16 strand, Vortex 12.7mm,Velocity 11mm, Yale 11.7, Teufelberger 11.5.

The adjustable upper bollard works easily and well. Having the index marks was a splendid idea, as they are a big help.

Last edited:
Most of the testing I have been doing is just playing around getting to know it. Next week it gets put to work, and though that can expose some things that recreational use doesn't, I'm not having much doubt that it will work wonderfully.

Both Kevin and Nick know that I didn't particularly like the original RR and that is why it was a bit of a gamble letting me test this. It worked fine but there were just too many things that made it not a good choice for me. This new model might as well be an entirely different tool. It feels completely different in the hand, smooth and solid. Self contained with no parts to lose is a hugh plus. Everything can be done with gloves on. You can even adjust the top bollard, once you lanyard in, without taking it off the rope.

I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself and should hold off a bit until after some work days, but my first impressions are that this is a fantastic tool.

Last edited:
Awesome news, Dave. Yes I have a half mile or so of the 13mm 16 strand so I guess I'll take the plunge:)8)

Aside from droppable small parts, needing full finger dexterity to get it on the rope, and the thin little tending point, is there anything else, major or minor, you don’t like about the first gen RR?

I hated the feel. Lots of sharp flat surfaces and big knobby bolts sticking out. It has been awhile since I used the the original RR but this new one seems to have better and broader control. Almost no effort when engaging the bird.

But with my hands, dropable parts are a big deal.

"Yup, 13mm 16 strand BRW works fine."

That is great to hear, cant wait to get my hands on one. There are worse things to collect than shiny new SRT devises!

Simple dead wood and tip back low limbs today. The RRP worked great.

I love being able to take it off and back on in the tree without worrying about dropping parts.

Attachments

• 20200608_100128_resized-1.jpg
    20200608_100128_resized-1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20200608_103442_resized-1.jpg
    20200608_103442_resized-1.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
No, Chris. You are going to have to listen for a 'on sale now' announcement from Treestuff.

Back