Rope Runner Pro

Those of us who spent a greater percentage of their careers in Eastern deciduous forests, with too-numerous-to-count long limb-walks, and trapeze-like swings and traverses in broad, open crowned trees perhaps have a better-honed skillset in one area, where those of you who spent a greater percentage of their careers largely working in or falling narrow coniferous poles out in the PNW are more studied in flip-strap hook ascents and have a finely-honed skillset in another area...
Our Nature/Nurture development is tempered by a response to the environment we most-often found ourselves in.

You all are my mentors here. You have all been such a big part of my life over the course of my career. intricate saw work in big wood in the PNW is something I only can imagine, I would look pretty green and awkward out there no doubt about it! I love seeing the fabricators on this place, welding things and fixing things and tuning things. The people in this forum have been an important inspiration for me. Thank you.

Your humility is truly exceptional and so welcome and refreshing. :drink: Lotta serious talent here at the House, no doubt.

I love seeing the fabricators on this place, welding things and fixing things and tuning things.

In one of your online interviews re the RW, there was a line I absolutely loved because I feel the exact same way. In trying to develop the RW, you said "(I found) little machine shops that were right under my nose, like a little building on the side of a railroad track and you go inside and there's all these CNC machines and lasers and guys that know....everything about doing things"

Awesome sentiment there, KB. Indeed, machine shop guys are awesomely talented and capable. To wit: We have a little camp in Maine, the caretaker we use is a guy in his 30's, native of Fayette ME where the camp is, his day job is a mill wright and he's a mellow, laid back, working fool. He found a couple of big old Bridgeport brand machines on line and bought em for cheap and refurbished and installed them in his garage, BPT has been outta biz for years but their machines last forever in the right hands.So now he can machine at home too. So anyway we had a tall, good size maple close the camp that had to come down, was on a fairly steep hill 20' rear of camp. I wasn't going to do it on my vacation (NFW, lol) but he said he'd do it, no problem, he has a friend that works for Lucas Tree in Maine ( I figured that guy would do the climbing) and they'd do the job together in the off season. Sounds like a plan. So we come back the following season, tree is gone, perfect looking job. I asked him about it, he said he did the climbing. That blew my mind, that this highly skilled machinist also had what it took to take down a big tricky tree. SMH, those guys are a different breed.

And lol, if I had what it takes to develop the RW, I'm sure my first iteration would also be of wood, cuz metal is just so....complicated:lol:

Last edited:
Bridgeport is still around, they just are owned by a company that bought several other machining companies. Miller and Hobart welding machines are the same too, owned by Illinois tool works.

[QUOTE="cory, post: 1000850, member: 1308"

And lol, if I had what it takes to develop the RW, I'm sure my first iteration would also be of wood, cuz metal is just so....complicated:lol:
[/QUOTE]
I'm starting to realize that wood is about as complicated as it gets. We just work with it all day so we are comfortable with it. But the complexities of grain and growth and the inconsistencies make it very challenging. You buy a piece of 6061 aluminum and you know exactly what you are getting. There is no way to do that with a piece of wood. When I finally come down from the trees I picture myself spending the rest of my days learning the ins and outs of woodcraft.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wood is the 'bones' of an organism. While I admire metal and the marvelous things that can be achieved and made with it, wood retains the warmth and history of a life form and that imakes it easy to relate to, get close to.

Beddes Strasser would be a match for him.
Agreed. Watching Beddes climb is like watching a magical god. His best days are surely gone now, age beats us down...but in the late 90's and all through the oughts, and well into the 20 teens, he was unbeatable. I'd bet he still could put 90+% of any of the climbers on the planet out there, in the shade.

Last edited:
My preliminary thinking is, I sure hope Notch was able to make plenty of these. I have only done a few short preliminary climbs, but wow!

I will try and refrain from too much speculation until I have more time on it but I'm definitely thinking 'wow'! It is a very high quality tool and I think Kevin nailed it.

Attachments

• IMG_1140-2.JPG
    IMG_1140-2.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1141-2.JPG
    IMG_1141-2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
Everything about the Rope Runner Pro just oozes quality. The 'box' it comes in is a tin, the instruction manual is clear and concise with plenty of well done pictures, and the tool itself is flawless with excellent fit and finish.

You can zoom in on the thumbnails.

Attachments

• IMG_1138-2.JPG
    IMG_1138-2.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
Dave, looks like they trying to one-up Apple with that fine packaging!

Superb looking device!

Yeah, a lot of careful thought has gone into the release of this new Rope Runner Pro. Addressing many small details without cutting corners.

So my next question is that even tho it's by notch, it's still Kevin's product right? Or is it like the super dumb name petzil rope wrench thing where it's a complete knockoff?

I'm guessing Kevin licenses the name. It's got his logo on it.

What is "Notch" anyway? I haven't figured out exactly what their gig is. Some stuff seems discount, some premium; all contracted out?

Everything about the Rope Runner Pro just oozes quality. The 'box' it comes in is a tin, the instruction manual is clear and concise with plenty of well done pictures, and the tool itself is flawless with excellent fit and finish.

You can zoom in on the thumbnails.

Very green with envy.

how did you manage to get one?

Nick is a friend. This was a risky move on his part though and he knew it. I have strong opinions and biases on climbing tools and techniques.

Back