Rope bridge vs web bridge

Zero Signal

TreeHouser
Going to be getting a new saddle within the next couple of months, currently using a 4 D. I'm looking at a bunch of rope bridge saddles, but another I have my eye on (the Nikosi) has a web bridge. Aside from ease of replacing the bridge, is there any difference/ advantage to having one vs the other, or all personal preference?

Get ready for this....

Nick the rope splicer prefers....

(wait for it)

WEBBING bridges!

The ones I've used are stiffer. That's all it boils down to. I prefer that stiffness. I've spliced dozens of bridges for people. They work just fine. I've used my own bridges for months at a time. But me, personally, I'll take a webbing bridge over a rope bridge any day.

love
nick

I prefer a webbing bridge, or a 'easily replaceable' rope bridge a'la the Buckingham Ergo, or the great new Buckingham Rebellion saddle,(think ergo lite, but with easily replaced bridge, for under 3 bones).
Not that I do not trust splices, but like the others I just prefer the webbing, a'la the Sequoia and similar styles.

I want to say that New Tribe told me their bridges have a cordura sleve over the bridge to protect it a little. My nikosi does have some type, f covering on the bridge. Great saddle by the way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rope - gives a nice smooth movement & easy & cheap to replace

Is that to say that a rope bridge tends to be smoother than a web bridge? If so, is a big difference or just marginal?

Does a web bridge have to be replaced less often, or just as often as a rope? I'll guess less, but I've been wrong once or twice before ;)

My favorite bridge ever is the webbing bridge for the TreeFlex. They take a 3' piece of webbing and fold it in half lengthwise so is still 3' long, but now only 1/2" thick. Then they triple it over in a Z pattern which forms the eyes at each end.

Then they stitch it length wise a few times. It ends up being 6 layers of webbing. They also out a sleeve over it, but it was clunky so I took it off.

love
nick

Is that to say that a rope bridge tends to be smoother than a web bridge?

I don't believe that to be true. The webbing bridge on both my harnesses I'm using right now are silky smooth.

Does a web bridge have to be replaced less often, or just as often as a rope?

As a general rule the more tightly woven the rope, the more chafe resistant it will be. Another general rule is that most webbing is woven WAY tighter than most rope. Hence, a webbing bridge should last longer than a rope one.

love
nick

Webbing bridges are going to be expensive to replace, figure $15-40 a piece. Going with a 'Liger' type saddle with rigging plates offers a lot of versatility and a cheap easily replaceable rope bridge, figure $3-4 each.

A Liger conversion is simply adding rigging plates at the lower attachment point where the leg straps join the waist adjustment straps.
attachment.php

Most bridge-type saddles can be converted, see this thread: https://www.masterblasterhome.com/s...er-Weaver-Cougar-Modification&highlight=liger

I really like the look of the Buckingham Rebellion at < $300 with a built in Liger system. Plus the grommeted waist belt combined with quick attach leg straps is ideal IMHO.
16905Q1.jpg

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=141&item=1952

There is also the Ergovation and several other option.
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=11&item=1131

The Blue Rigging plates for the mod are $25. These are rope friendly, the right size and proven for the application.
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=32&item=1761

I have a Weaver Cougar modified into a Liger and its one of the best saddles I have used.

Good Luck!

Nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rebellion was the other option I have kinda narrowed it down to, that and the Nikosi. There doesn't seem to be much feedback on the Rebellion though. They could have picked a different color heh heh, but oh well. The Ergo is a real nice saddle, but honestly more than I would like to spend. I still have time to decide since I'm not getting it tomorrow or anything. It would be REAL nice if I could actually try them on first...but I have nowhere remotley around me that has a good selection in store. Thanks for the replies.

My partner has the Spartan. It is a very nice saddle. However I still prefer my Nikosi. Its been said a million times before.....saddles really come down to personal preference. His bridge was "faster" with less resistance to movement but I didnt care for that. My Nikosi allows me plenty of movement with some resistance so I dont feel like I am rolling out of control.

i use a rope on my buckingham viking saddle with two double fishermans knot to secure it to the rings . wish it had a rigging plate i guess i could put one on it but im not taking that apart again it was a nightmare to re-adjust when i got it back on ...well i guess ill take the time to ask is this safe to secure it with a fishermans knot on both sides ...well nowi think bout it its really no diffreant the a knot on the rigging plate...advice woiuld be helpfull

I climb in a petzl sequoia, the webbing bridge on that is terrible. I shred them in a few months. the rope bridge is holding up for now. but I dont like the way my swivel slides over the whipping in the splice. only a matter of time before I shred that to. next time I'll just tie knots, it'll be cheaper.

The stopper knot option is pretty nice. The bumpiness of the splice and any whipping pushed me away from a rope bridge. But I hadn't climbed on a rope bridge made simply with stopper knots before. Having done that- I'm back to square one. Rope and webbing...both the same to me...I think.

I'm a bit fickle on this topic :)

love
nick

I climb on a master classic with a single fixed dee ring. I am ready for a new saddle as I have lost 50 pounds roughly and this time I am buying one with a bridge. Don't know what Im going to buy, but it will have a bridge of some variety.

i would get a petzel if i had the money it just looks like it would fit u like a glove...i also like the buckingham ones to i think its called the glide rite..i like simple cause a old timer once told me ..."keep it simple . stupid..." i always try to approch at stuff like that now. that is just me though im sure there is way better out there but i can modd my own stuff to make it nice and simple and nice for me....this is just my imput im new to this i have a viking and i can see how the other are way mo' better....

Chris, If I was buying a new saddle, and wasnt considering a $500+ model, this is what I would get: https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=141&item=1952

Nice rigging plate style rope bridge, easily replaceable, change the length etc....Simple comfortable looking padding, good price. I am also a big fan of the old school waist buckle and new school leg straps. I rarely change the leg straps but tightening the waist is a pretty regular thing and the buckle is nicer than a fancy snap.

We have a Rebellion for when we need a third climber in the air, and I am impressed with it. It is a very good value.

Nick, I think Im looking to spend a little more then that. Looks like a good unit but I think my next purchase will be in the top tier of saddles. Not to sound uppity. I just meant I'd like a high end unit on this purchase.

Understood!

I am the same way, but can't get a high end saddle right now due to big green. Some of the other guys can comment on the ergovation, treemotion, and petzl offerings.

Chris, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the high end saddles. They are all good, it is just a matter of what suits you best. I have had a tree motion for 5 years and like it a lot. The lower d's are amazing when you need them. My brother has had the ergovation for a year now and it is a well built saddle with great support.

I can't imagine how those lower dees function - cool. I'd sure like to try one out: I wish someone around here had one.

Back