Class 2 fibers being used for saddle bridges

You inspect the core by feel. Does it have weird bulges? Hollows? Is the cover doing something weird? Unless you've put chemicals on your line, polyester and nylon wear in predictable ways, and in the case of kernmantle line, hardly wear at all with an intact cover. As always, YMMV. I do what I do, and others can choose to follow or not, but it'll definitely be a cold day in hell before I pay $30 for a piece of rope blessed by a manufacturer, when I can buy the same rope for $6(being very generous on the high end here).
This !!!^

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
"Dyneema must be retired sooner than nylon or polyester." This is the reason I think it's a poor choice for a rope bridge. A lot of folks I know have way too much confidence in that magical proprietary rope bridge and they leave it on for way too long. I think for us old people, the front attachment point of a harness used to be the strongest/toughest part of the whole build, and now it's the weakest link. Just a mental change in gear management that needs to be learned.
What I'm really liking in this discussion is the approach of replace it regularly, with a new piece of climb line. For years I've heard, if you didn't put the manufacturer's bridge back on a harness, you were going to die and go to hell :) Always seemed like more of a discussion for lawyers and salespeople...

This thread has been derailed and I am guilty of participating in its derailment. I apologize to the original poster/thread starter and I will immediately desist from further taking this thread off of its designated topic.

@Brock Mayo I apologize for my role in taking this thread so far off course. I will stop immediately.

@stig When it comes to self expression, I don't spare a single syllable.

Last edited:
No worries about a good d-rail... I don't really understand what happened. At first I thought the bridge manufacturing industrial complex had shut down the blasphemous talk of non-sanctioned ropes touching their products :)
Anyone know what rope/splice is going on in this buckingham bridge? This was the first bridge I saw that really concerned me. Seems way too short for any normal class two splice, and the non-structural cover is going to hid anything going on with the (amsteel?) core.

905fe1dd15c132c294cdc3f502bb6e7600e4768f70ba741932789e2cc02bf5f7__96269.1686316579.jpg

It’s probably just a naked eye splice with locked Brummells, can use shorter buries with the dyneema being so strong, and generally used in a basket configuration.

Like on my Cougar, the wear and self abraiding was very apparent where those eyes are girth hitched to the connection points for the bridge.
Never did cut the cover to look inside. I saw enough in the eyes to warrant concern.

Same, i didn't think i had used it much and was horrified when i saw it just starting to crumble. Poly core only after that, sometimes the wheel doesn't need more perfecting.

The Poison Ivy fix was at the time. I eventually deleted the HC Pulley since there was a connection failure point at the sheeve pin. Ended up with a BAT plate so I would have my multiple points on the bridge to hitch to. A tad longer bridge, but not by much. Eventually I would then go to a steel rated ring as I changed my climb style. Of course the pictures posted in the wrong order. And looking back, I really should have pulled the cover off to check further. But at the time, you can see where it was wearing the worst. It just had to go. P1030030.JPG P1030026.JPG P1030023.JPG P1030022.JPG P1030021.JPG P1030020.JPG

I don't like the way it looks. It looks "crunchy". Maybe it's fine, but I'd have replaced it also. Confidence in your gear is at least half the game, and that cord doesn't inspire confidence in me.

I just saw a couple of those bridges last week. They make me nervous… looks like they moved on to a new bridge, if there was a good reason for the redesign, it’d be nice to tell these folks that still have the old version.

Back