Rope bag project...

• Thread starter Hobby Climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 395
  • Views 35K
Here are two pictures of the CMI rope bag.
THe mesh bag by Hobby Climber seems to be about the same with a few changes. But basicly the same configuration.
HC's rope bag appears to be slightly tapered out from bottom to top. The bottom is more reinforced/ layered.

What I noticed first with the mesh bag is it seems to be rather stiff at the top where the grommets are to be placed. I am wondering if the pull cord will be able to close the bag enough to keep the rope from coming out. Also if the top is too stiff, it seems like the pull cord draw string will be eaten away by rubbing on the sides of the grommets kinda like what happens with our boot laces over time. Grommets are not that strong really so will the pull cord wear grooves in the grommets?
I would also put a grommet in the bottom so water can leak out. (see pic)

All in all I like the concept and I wonder why no other manufactuer has made these before. I asked BUckinham to make a smaller mesh bag but they declined because the plastic bottom is too expensive to re-design in a smaller model.
HC has taken care of that by making a bag with a strong bottom. That helps the bag to stay upright but keeps the overall weight down vrs. the heavier Buckinham mesh bags.

Ropes should be stored in a place were they can air out. Also having multiple rope bags with all the ropes hidden from view makes it hard to identify which rope is which. So a mesh bag makes them easier to see and stay aired out.
Lots of folks write the rope length and diameter on the outside of the rope bag for easier identifying, but when you change bags and ropes for whatever reason, the marks become outdated. I have bags with lots of crossed out marks on them. I would prefer to be able to at least get a view of what is inside the bag.

Better watch out HC! Someone will steal your design just like the Folding Cube throw line bag design was stolen from the germans by the Chinese mass producers!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Paul B,

Your bag will be done this week & in the mail by the end of the week! Sorry for the delay but I only have one person (The Bag Lady) making them at this time. I'm looking for another person or two to make them for me at this time.

Frans,

The bags are NOT tapered at all, its just a bad photo on my part. The bags top rim, bottom & webbing act like a frame for the mesh. The grommets are made of nickle plated brass and should hold up just fine over time! I'll be using the same chainsaw pull cord for the drawstring as on my other bags and a thumb lock will hold it in place when closed.

I will not be using a larg grommet in the bottom of the bag. 1)-I havent got a grommet press large enough.And 2)-The bag is mesh...just turn it on its side to allow water to empty! Air circulation through the mesh will take care of the rest!

The bottoms are the same as on my other bags but the construction is different on the upper part and much trickier to build. You'll notice that there is no visible seam along the side on the bag! Its been sewn together and the vertical web strap (that forms the handle), is sewn over it to hide it and add strength to the seam. This makes for a much cleaner looking finish! *** (You can see the vertical seam in the last picture above)!

You should be able to beat the hell out of this bag and it'll take it! I'm very happy with the way it turned out and sure others will also!

Your bag (the one in the pic above), will be sent out this week, hope you like it. HC

Paul B & Gasoline71,

Your bags are done and will be in the mail Wednesday 25th!

Frans & others interested in the MESH bag,

I now have the gromets in this first prototype mesh bag. Once I got it home tonight & had a better look at it, I noticed a few problems!

A couple stitching issues need to be addressed and for the most part its just a matter of the technique used to put it together,no big deal. The other is the top rim section. This is a big deal and will have to be redesigned! There are 4 different areas on the bags construction & designe that I want changed before I'm happy with it. The isssues are fairly easy to correct but will take a bit more time in the bags construction is all. If all goes well, I'm hopping to have the next prototype completed by the end of this weekend. Cross your fingers!

Keep in mind that the bag I make now,(the all fabric one) took me about 6 or 7 versions untill I got it right! With what I learned from developing that one, I can pin point the issues with this mesh bag and correct the problems much quicker.

I'm still very excited about this mesh bag, so much so that I took the plunge & ordering a bulk 30 meter role of this mesh fabric. If everything works out the way I think it will...great for everyone. If it doesn't work out...then I guess I have the makings for a very expencive snow fence or minnow net!!!:lol: Time will tell. HC

No problem. "It's in the bag"! ;) HC

Was up late with "The Bag Lady" last night trying to figure out how to correct the top rim issue.

(...note to self, never try to over think a simple problem when both people are tired) !!!

We had many very over the top solutions untill I sat back remembered that saying... K.I.S.S. ! The 2nd prototype will be finished this weekend.

Keep watching, you will not be disapointed! HC

PM's recieved and one sent back to you!

Those bags look great. Also I like the idea of using the pullcord like that. I always used pullcord for the drawstring on my backpacks while working in the bush. Great idea always bound to come in handy sooner or later.

2nd Mesh Bag prototype...

Well, here is my 2nd attempt with this Mesh Bag!

1st one was ok and I was able to see what areas needed to be tweeked. This 2nd one is much better but I'm still not as happy with the top as I'd like to be. Also, I will be trying a different technique with the webbing along the sides.

Its hard to see from the pictures just whats been done but i can tell you this, there was alot!

I've got the "Bag Lady" working on #3 and know that the side issue WILL be sorted out for sure. The top will work out better than #2 but may need some experamenting with to get the right combination of stifness & flexability!

As of now, the bag works ok but I want it to work better! With each prototype I'm getting closer & closer to the perfection I seek.

I will have the 3rd prototype made by next week & we'll have to see where it goes from there.

Till then enjoy the pics. ;)

This prototype is a 15" bag with a 12" base.
The first three pic are holding 195' of 1/2" climbing rope. The last two pics are holding 90' of 1/2" climbing rope.

the 90' of velocity seems to fill the bag up about a third. So ideally, a smaller bag for the common length of 120', then the size pictured could be for longer ropes or bull ropes.
The bags are looking good! I would buy some for sure.

Ya, that 90' of rope in the last two bag pics had been compacted down by the other hank that was on top. I think that a 14" bag would be just fine for your shorter ropes. Any smaller I think you would have a more difficult time trying to flake it into the bag!

Frans, your bags been shipped out to you this morning. Give it at least 10 days to reach you!

Like I mentioned, I'm still not 100% satisfied with it but its getting closer each try! The next one will be 14" & I'm changing the upper section to see if it makes any difference. Let me know what you think of this one once you get it Frans.

Thanks again for the interest guys! HC

hey Bob! the bag came yesterday in the post, thank you sir, look s good next to its little brother. and the first is holding up fine, under my casual usage. ;)

check is in the mail!

Scale High, this guy is making me crazy, too. I need to buy more rope so I can buy his bag to put it in!!!! aaarrrggghhh

Crikey Frans, you want intellectual development costs?:what: :)

Well, yes! Also because I am the high and mighty overloard of all tree work, ya gotta pay just to have met me!

Bow down before the one you serve!

Back