Rope bag project...

• Thread starter Hobby Climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 395
  • Views 34K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I see we are on the same page Frans! I'll be using a doubled bottom as on my other bags...it helps hold the shape better and adds strength/durability.

I'll have to see how the web handles straps work along the side on this mesh bag. The ones I make now have a seperate piece of webbing thats been been cut in half length ways, sewn together and inserted between the vertical web straps and the bag to add stiffness & shap. I'll have to make a few different prototypes just to see which version will work the best!

I also was thinking of the webbing around the top rim of the bag and adding grommets through the webbing. Will see how the chainsaw pull-cord works on it. I like it(c/s cord) because it holds its round shap and slides well through the grommets. A thumb lock is used on the cord to hold the bag closed and seems to work well.

Did you want the soft rip-stop nylon closure at the top or with grommets like on my other bags? Pros & cons with each designe!

I hope to have some samples with in a week or two and once I get the right type of mesh material, I'll order some & get to work on the prototypes!

Any other suggestions are welcome! HC

Just kicking around some ideas...

1)Rope Bag with mesh bottom.

2)Rope Bag with mesh on upper half.

3)Rope Bag with mesh bottom and mesh upper half & blue on bottom half.

I like No.#3 because it will give the best strength and keeps its shape better allowing quick Rope ID !!!!!!!!!

Now, its a matter of pull cord & grommets (like on the bags I make now), OR go with a soft nylon closure with a drawstring tape?

Your thoughts. HC

IMO the soft nylon closures such as on the Sherrill/ Buckingham rope bags totally bite. I have one of those bags and only use it for a spare bullrope because I hate trying to feed the rope back in the bag. It's also the most expensive rope bag I own, the oldest and the least used. As soon as I get my next 2 from HC I'll probably turn it into a 'storage' bag for ropes I'll never use again but are too good to throw away...

Soft top closures are completely opposite of what you're trying to accomplish with a rope bag.

Did you want the soft rip-stop nylon closure at the top or with grommets like on my other bags?
No, leaving the top open lets more air circulate throughout the entire bag. Air means dryer ropes.

The simpler the best in my opinion.

Glad to hear that! This will make the bag cost less, put together faster and be more efficient. Like the man said...K.I.S.S. ! HC

Had a good long talk with the "Bag Lady" and I believe we now have the designe worked out for this new mesh bag!

Just waiting on the samples. If its the matrial I think it is...its friken expencive! Good thing is, there will be less of it (mesh matrial) needed to make the bag!

We've worked all the bugs out on paper but the only way to know for sure is to get a prototype built & test it.

I'm likeing what I see so far!!! :thumb: HC

They're here!

I got a package in the mail today from Bob and opened it to find the two rope bags I ordered from him. I got to tell you folks, the pictures don't do them justice! I'm very impressed with the materials and construction.

Off to the post office because I got busy and forgot to mail the check last week!
:oops:

BrendonV & Monkeypuzzle...i sent you a PM.;) HC

Paul,

I'll have more ready by next week but I'm up north moose hunting next week. Once I get back,(end of the month), I'll send them out to you.

Sorry for the delay.

Bob

Stumper,

Me too, all I need is the opportunity,;) ! HC

Thanks Gary,

I sent you one back. HC

Brendon, make your bed. :P

And yes, these rope bags ROCK! Much better than the CMI bags I've been using for the last several years, without all the gimmicky unnecessary crap found on other bags (hint- Buckingham and Sherrill).
:D

Top-notch quality rope bags, Bob. They feel extremely durable. Now I just have to get out of the habit of automatically coiling my ropes!

Bob, I hope you do some moose finding.

I like how the Stumpster worded that, because ALL the challenge is in the find. Once you do find one, then it's simply a matter of strolling up to it and shooting it dead.

I'm back early from moose hunting...bad weather,(wind & rain) made for an unsuscessful trip! Did see a wolf, them things are huge!!!

I went to visit "The Bag Lady" yesterday and she had this MESH bag ready for me,(see piscs). I'm very excited about it. Its light, see-through and stands up Open just like the other bags I make! Only thing left to do is install grommets and chainsaw pull cord for the drawstring!

That this bag is going to be a winner, IMHO!

Everyone can thank Frans for suggesting that I start making mesh bags, it was his idea that inspired me.

The bag in the picture will be going to Frans for field testing and refinement. Any question about preformance should be directed to him at this time. He WILL have the bag in about two weeks or so. I still have to add the grommets & cord yet!

It will be some time yet before I can get a price worked out for this bag. The mesh is not cheap and the construction is kinda tricky. Bags will be all blue with black web handles, blue water resistant material for the outside bottom and my signiture yellow inside bottom. The sides of coures will be blue mesh!

I was going to offer the bag in different colours but it would cost to much to buy this mesh material in small quantities! So blue black & yellow (as described above) is the way its gonna stay for now. Sorry.

Enjoy the pictures. HC

We wanna see a picture of the 'bag lady'! Is she camera shy? She deserves a big chunk of the credit as well, her craftsmanship is impeccable!
:D

Bob, I will take one of your rope bags. I wish you could make one with side or interior pockets. Both would work best. I would not be using this for rope but for a tackle bag on "THE RIVER". With sinkers & what not, my tackle bag weighs in at around 35-50lbs. I need pockets to protect my balsa wood bobbers & other fragile items. You have a PM

Guys, thanks for the PM's but I WILL NOT be ready for production for at least two month from now. I will need the feed back from Frans yet before I can get started. As far as prices go, that will have to be worked out after I order the material in BULK! I can tell you this, because of the cost of the mesh material & issues with construction, The mesh bag will be a little more than the all fabric bags I now make.

Please DO NOT send in your orders or money untill I'm ready. My last post was only to give you guys a heads up as to good things to come is all.

I'd like to thank everyone for your interest in this project~! HC

Back