Root prune and straighten or Remove and Replant?

ClimbMIT

TreeHouser
I have a client who has 3 Drake Elms which were left staked for three years 2007-2010. Two of the trees are about 7 years old and one about 4 years old. Last year Hurricane Isaac almost uprooted the biggest one and created significant leans on the other trees. The homeowner re-staked the trees following the storm. Recently the cable holding the biggest tree broke. Now the client is concerned about them falling during a possible hurricane this year and would like to correct the current lean if possible. My conclusion is since the trees were left staked for such a long time, the trees became dependent on the stakes and not growing proper root structure and unable to hold the trees. I am planning to stake the trees for this hurricane season then in late winter I would like to root prune and reposition the trees straight. I was curious to know if anyone has had experience with this, how you handled it, and what was the outcome. I am also open to any other suggestions. The following photos below show the biggest of the trees which is approximately 6 inches in diameter.

#1.jpg bark.jpg #1 whole.jpg

Thanks
Mark

Sounds like you're on the right track.

How's the soil where they're planted? Does it drain well?

Did the HO plant them? I'd wonder if they were B&B with synthetic burlap and maybe they left it on. Either way, I'd do some digging and see whats going on down there.

I have only root pruned on storm damaged, excavation damaged trees, and an ocasional girdling root.
You could air spade away the soil and see whats going on. If I had to guess they were planted too deep and have little root mass in combination with being guyed for so long. I think your plan is a good start and I would suggest some root feeding to push new growth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Adam thanks for responding with good feedback. A landscaping company did the two oldest ones. Drainage is a problem because of his fence and he is getting it replaced soon.

Thanks Flushcut for the good feedback as well. The one I took pictures of is actually beginning to uproot is just the photo doesn't show it. I don't have an air spade but I will take a look around the roots. Would hose be a good option? I guess I could put some good soil/sand if some runs off. As far as feeding do you mean root stimulator?

Thanks Flushcut for the good feedback as well. The one I took pictures of is actually beginning to uproot is just the photo doesn't show it. I don't have an air spade but I will take a look around the roots. Would hose be a good option? I guess I could put some good soil/sand if some runs off. As far as feeding do you mean root stimulator?

You could try a hose but I don't think it will work well enough. I just use good old fashioned compost/compost tea that a local tree co. makes and I have had very good results.

...My conclusion is since the trees were left staked for such a long time, the trees became dependent on the stakes and not growing proper root structure and unable to hold the trees.

I personally wouldn't invest more money/time/energy into these trees. I don't think this is a reliance-on-stakes issue. I bet there are major girdling roots down below.

4-7 years ago those trees should've been quite tiny and well protected by the fence. Small stakes at that time should've supported them just fine.

I know clients hate to start over, but I wouldn't bother trying to fix them.

That first pic shows NO root flare at all. Tree was probably planted way too deep.

If it's me I'm going back to dig around and see what's going on down below. If I find some major girdling roots, I'd probably push for a replant...probably.

To belabor the point, if you dug them out, made major root cuts, then set them back up- you'd need some MAJOR supports/stakes to hold them still until they developed enough of a root system to anchor 8-10 yr old trees.

I think new, healthy, properly planted trees would surpass what they have now...in just a few years.

love
nick

Thanks Nick, I am using Branch Saver on 4x4 fence post. The customer really wanted to save these trees. I worked there yesterday and it had not rained here for well over a week, yet the ground where the trees are was still really wet. There is a french drain there that I believe is leaking or possibly a sprinkler line. Why do you think there are girdled roots? Not trying to sound cocky just don't understand how girdled roots would cause them to lean.

Doesn't come across as cocky at all. No worries.

Lemme ask this- that angled tree- is it anchored firmly at that angle? Can you wobble it?

If the roots were girdling and not growing outward, they don't "grab on" to the soil. The trees will be alright at first while they are small, but as the tree gets bigger, the roots need to expand to compensate for the added weight AND leverage from above. Girdling roots don't do that. They stay small and close to the trunk.

Either way- this is all just guessing. Dig down and see what you can see. Tying them to the fence might just be one more step in a long slow journey. I see it a lot here. They start getting planted too deep with just the nursery stakes, then the gardener puts bigger stakes later, then the handyman puts steel posts, etc. People call me sometimes for bigger stakes. I will come and often know going into it that those trees are coming out.

Your clients' trees may've been bad stock (left in the bucket or burlap too long), improperly planted (too deep) and now they just keep upping the support as the tree gets bigger. The canopy will soon outgrow the support that the fence can provide. Then what?

I'd dig down- if it's a mess, start over.

That first pic shows NO root flare at all. Tree was probably planted way too deep.

If it's me I'm going back to dig around and see what's going on down below.

Agreed. Shovel and trowel and garden hose should give you a good enough look for a prognosis, in minutes. I wouldn't give up on them without taking this step, and of course you should be paid for this work.

Doesn't come across as cocky at all. No worries.

Lemme ask this- that angled tree- is it anchored firmly at that angle? Can you wobble it?

If the roots were girdling and not growing outward, they don't "grab on" to the soil. The trees will be alright at first while they are small, but as the tree gets bigger, the roots need to expand to compensate for the added weight AND leverage from above. Girdling roots don't do that. They stay small and close to the trunk.

Either way- this is all just guessing. Dig down and see what you can see. Tying them to the fence might just be one more step in a long slow journey. I see it a lot here. They start getting planted too deep with just the nursery stakes, then the gardener puts bigger stakes later, then the handyman puts steel posts, etc. People call me sometimes for bigger stakes. I will come and often know going into it that those trees are coming out.

Your clients' trees may've been bad stock (left in the bucket or burlap too long), improperly planted (too deep) and now they just keep upping the support as the tree gets bigger. The canopy will soon outgrow the support that the fence can provide. Then what?

I'd dig down- if it's a mess, start over.

The tree in the pic was pretty solid. It could not be wobbled. I went forward with the job as the customer seemed to just want support for the storm season. Pruned them too take excess weight from the lean with reduction cuts and lifted the canopy. I used Branch Saver from Treestuff to support to fence post. I agree that they lack root flare. Nick that is a very good point that I will tell the customer about once there too big for the fence post to support them then what. I am suppose to go back to do more work soon and when I do I am going to propose digging around to see what is going on. Maybe adding some root stimulater if needed and remove girdled roots if possible since he really wants to try and save what he has. He is real happy with the result thus far. I will take pics next time I go to show the work I have done.

Agreed. Shovel and trowel and garden hose should give you a good enough look for a prognosis, in minutes. I wouldn't give up on them without taking this step, and of course you should be paid for this work.

I am going to show the customer a copy of this info I received about this job. I do want this done right.

Back