Rigging question

Now were talking!

6759d0c839c03ac848b6ed9d1d969579.jpg

Jeez, Willie!
A 20" bar would have been enough to flop that :P

not with a sling & block at the bottom of one of the main leads to redirect the line:)

He should have the right gear for the tree. But perhaps this is a tree that buys that right gear.

Lots of good advice from everyone here, and I appreciate all of it.

The yard offers plenty of drop zone area, but little in the way of exit area. The yard is entirely surrounded by hedges and a fence on three sides. There are no gates in the fence. There is only a 4' wide small opening in the hedge at the location where the photo was taken from.

I do have a tractor, along with a log arch. The tractor will be busy on this job, provided I end up with the contract. I don't have anything in writing yet. Bids were being sought the last time I met with the homeowner.

There isn't much competition facing me on this one. One local man has a bucket truck, but his truck won't be allowed in the homeowner's yard. The arborists from Devils Lake have the gear to handle this project, but they charge far more than I do.

I'm hesitant to spend a pile of money on any new gear, at least until such time as I'm notified that I did, indeed, get the job. Not that it would be a bad thing to own a GCRS and a few large slings anyway.....but trees of this nature simply don't come along very often. This is the largest take-down job I've seen since working in Augusta Georgia, back in the early 80s.

I have the experience needed for this job, but certainly not the proper equipment. I plan on making the necessary preparations over the winter, or when the job is officially handed over to me.

Using a nearby tree is certainly a possibility. Using the tractor as a base for the porty is also a possibility, though doing so would involve a whole lot of work due to the fact that the tractor will be used primarily for removing the logs from the yard. The arch will be attached to the tractor most of the time.......but it can be unhooked fairly easily.

I won't be dropping anything directly onto the lawn. Preserving the lawn is a high priority for the homeowner. All but the very small stuff will be rigged down.

Oh.....and my business' insurance agent is located right across the street from the homeowner's house. He'll have a front window view of the entire operation. LOL

Joel

Looks like a fun one. I hear ya on wanting a grcs. I made a dead eye sling out of a piece of 3/4 three strand a while ago that I use for the big ones. I'm gonna make a ten ex dead eye when I get a few minutes. Actually I need to make a pair of them for when I gotta rig out the big trunk sections.

Treebilly,

Many years ago I took down a large cottonwood using a steel cable and a very large block mounted high in the tree. The block was held in place with a 3/8" logging chain. The pulley block I used at the time weighed in at about 40 pounds. I was a lot younger back then. I still smile when I think about how we once did things.....especially using a seat belt from an old station wagon to secure ourselves in the trees.

I wish I had known at the time that I'd be working with trees full-time at some point in the future. Back in the early 80s, when I was just a teenager, I thought maybe the tree work would just be a summer job for one year. We had some very experienced riggers on the crew.......though the rigging gear back then was nothing like we have available to us today.

Joel

Personally, I would wait to buy any gear until there is a signed contract.

So market value to the DL guys is "x" dollars. How much less are you going, percentage wise, would you guess? Are they going to do a different job than you, in the homeowner's eyes?

Did you gather that I meant using the tractor as a winch to lift and lower, not just as an anchor point. Definitely redirect forces for compression, as noted.

How much impact will there already be from the tractor and arch? I don't get people and their lawns. Pound the lawn, save a thousand bucks, get some soil and seed.

I didn't get started in tree work till the mid-90's but my boss hadn't bought new equipment since the early 70's. Always sucked hoisting a log chain and that big ass steel block up the tree. The last ten years have really been great in my personal progression from the "old" ways of yesteryear.

Let me say this.. Every long sling I have ever had made or made my self is used pretty regular during the year. And I mean up to 30' long dead eyes. Most used are my 12-20 foot. But nothing is ever wasted. You will use them once you have them. Learn how to splice some tenex (easy as eating warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream). You will not regret it.

SouthSoundTree,

In the homeowner's eyes the job will be done to his specs, regardless of who gets the job. So I'm assuming that the homeowner's requirements will have to met by any contractor. That is, unless the other guys are far better at TELLING HIM HOW THINGS WILL BE DONE than I am.

I'm not privy to the bids the homeowner receives. It's best that way. I like having fair competition and a clean conscience. I know that I'm not as expensive as the guys from Devils Lake, as they have full-time employees. My employees are experienced and highly trained, but they work only when I need them. I've had the same crew with me for over three years. I'm very lucky to have these guys around.

The lawn is going to take a bit of a beating from traffic......both foot and machine. I let the homeowner know that there is simply no possible way of preventing that, short of hiring a helicopter in. He's expecting some damage to the lawn, but he's requesting that we do the job while the ground is frozen. I can do that......I work when it's cold......but I won't work on that tree when it's 30 below zero. I can start in March, when the daily temps are a bit more tolerable.

I am a bit curious as to how much a full-time tree service would charge to take this tree down, but it's not all that important to me. I've heard of trees this size costing upwards of $10,000 in Minneapolis.

Joel

CurSedVoyce,

I spliced up a Pinto Rig Loopie from Tenex a couple of years ago. I never thought I'd use it much, but I use it now on nearly every climb I make. I agree...there's no such thing as having too much gear. I look forward to making up a few more neat things over the winter months. I'm working with X-rings now.....just getting the hang of things.

Joel

:thumbup:
I have two pinto rigs now. More used than my blocks until I get into really big stuff.
I also have 150' 3/8ths Stable Braid and I tell you what, Dave (Niceguydave/WileyP) was right. It comes off the truck more than even the 1/2" any more. For light rigging, it is the shit. Lighter and works great on the medium and mini porty.

CurSedVoyce,

I really like my Sterling Atlas 9/16' rigging rope. 100' of that can be stuffed in a ditty bag. Now you've got me thinking......hmmmm. Maybe something smaller yet? I like.

Joel

10g? From the pics, no way. Up here you'd be lucky to get 2g in Canuck dollars. Unless the access is way further than I'm guessing where the driveway to the place must be.

Joel, my point being is that it's the same job if you and your part time crew do a quality, technical dismantle as another company, working full time. Don't short yourself. Why do the other DL guys charge a lot more?. I understand if you need more time to do the job, that affects the homeowners, and some consideration is made on the price. Do they have to incur a large travel expense?

:thumbup:
I have two pinto rigs now. More used than my blocks until I get into really big stuff.
I also have 150' 3/8ths Stable Braid and I tell you what, Dave (Niceguydave/WileyP) was right. It comes off the truck more than even the 1/2" any more. For light rigging, it is the shit. Lighter and works great on the medium and mini porty.

That sounds nice. How is it as a zip line, if you know?

Back