Rigging question

Hahaha- I lose more rigging that way than I do from failures. I just got back a portawrap that was left on a site sometime in January. It got buried in some snow, not to be found until spring.

We lost a porty from a job this winter.
Richard went back and looked all over for it.
Only explanation is that someone took it.
5 years ago, when scrap iron prices were real high here, I could see that, but who outside our world would even be able to figure out what a Porty is for?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I found one here last year and even called the co it belonged to (as I finished where they left off ten feet over the garage)still no one has come to get it
or call me back about it. So now it resides with my rigging box!

I have a rigging question that may seem silly to many members here, but you'll have to forgive me for asking, as I have never come across this situation before.

The problem here is that I have a tree to remove which is larger than any tree I've ever tackled before. A measurement of the circumference, at belt high on the base, is over 21 feet. I don't have anything in the way of rigging slings long enough to make the trip around for use in securing the portawrap to the base of this tree.

I have several ratchet straps long enough for this job, but using them would involve cross loading the attachment point of the portawrap, such as this..... -U-

Maybe this isn't a problem with the portawrap, as it would be with a carabiner? Don't know.

I'm looking for information regarding safe rigging practices that are used in such cases. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

Thanks fellas.

Yep...a tree this size will make a guy cuss out loud at the porti....I'm sure of it.......but it's all I've got.

I've never had to deal with a tree of this size......until now. Work begins in the Spring, so I have time to upgrade before then.

The picture in post #6 looks very similar to my situation. In order to do a timber hitch on this tree, I'll need a whole lot of rope.... Kinda what I figured. I'll lose one of my rigging ropes just to secure the porti......so I guess I'll need to order another rope before Spring. Might be a good time to upgrade my stuff.

Joel

Mick, I could do that too, but I'll likely never need all of those heavy duty slings again......maybe. Hmmm...possibilities here.

I was thinking maybe a steel plate with three holes in it. A hole on each end for the ratchet strap hooks. A hole at the top for a rigging shackle......to which the portawrap would fasten to. Sort of like the GRCS uses for attachment to the tree.

Joel

Can always take some of those shorter rope pieces you have lying about and tie a bowline in one end and girth hitch the porty or anchor hitch the porty basically making a sling. Or just get a long piece of Tenex TEC and make a dead eye.

Use the standing end of your rigging line as a sling for the POW, if strong and long enough.

CurSedVoyce,

OK....gaining a few ideas. Thanks guys.

I'm thinking that I'll also need some additional long slings in order to place a block for a redirect, somewhere just above the porty. I have a 3/4" Tenex whoopie sling. I've never used it in a tree to secure an arborist block at height before, but I may have to with this one. Some of the branches in this tree are larger than my 5/8" loopie will handle.

Joel

A
Mick, I could do that too, but I'll likely never need all of those heavy duty slings again......maybe. Hmmm...possibilities here.

I was thinking maybe a steel plate with three holes in it. A hole on each end for the ratchet strap hooks. A hole at the top for a rigging shackle......to which the portawrap would fasten to. Sort of like the GRCS uses for attachment to the tree.

This is a massive tree, don't skimp on a few bits of gear to do it right. Slings are always handy.

A picture of this tree was posted here a while back, but I can't find it now. Here's a view of the tree I'll be removing early next Spring. Dead Tree Removal Inspection 015.jpg Dead Tree Removal Inspection 020.jpg

I'm looking forward to doing the job, but planning it out is 'priority one' right now.

Joel

If you're going to bid trees this size you need proper equipment. Period. You need to factor the cost of proper equipment into your quotes. Trees this big usually go to the cheapest price even though they are the most liability, hardest work and hardest on your equipment. A GRCS or Hobbs would be very appreciated on this tree and once purchased will see plenty of benefit in day to day operations.

A question? What weight pieces are you planning to rig out. Looks like a lot of lawn for a dropzone, after getting the limbs stripped out and topped. Speedlining any of this into the lawn area? Lifting? Negative blocking trunk wood? Will you be able to take out large pieces with a machine?

Looks like you might be able to run a few blocks through the crown and get different lowering zones, either one rope through two blocks, or two ropes through two blocks to drift line the pieces.

No easy task. How hard depends on the level of impact allowed, in part.

As Willie says, high risk, low hourly. And as he says, having the right tools for the job is key. Just important to know what you'll need, and how it will play out in the future to have the gear.

Do you have a contract on the tree, already? I imagine that you might not have a lot of highly skilled competition in your small, rural locale. Hope you bid it right. That's such a hard part if you don't have it planned out.

Do you have a tractor to which you can affix your POW, allowing you to lift and lower?

Back