Rigging question

rskybiz

TreeHouser
I have used it and now would like to know more on the reason and dynamics of the twist under the timber hitch in rigging out chunks. I call it a twist as I cant seem to remember the term:|: I know or in my logic feel... it is so the distance between the block and piece can be as close as possible minimizing the drop distance. What has always had me curious is the bend ratio and the stresses at the twist.
If need be I will post a picture of the exact thing I am talking about or you can see the "twist" in my work pictures post a few days ago. I have always wanted to discuss the pros cons and reasons Thanks in advance and I look forward to what you all have to say.

I missed your pic(sorry) but I'm assuming you're referring to a half or a marline hitch. Both have advantages but imo their main function is to prevent slippage and share the load with your end knot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I almost called it a half hitch Squish except in my mind that is reserved for termination/ added security as for the slippage the timber hitch is by my understanding self tightening under load. I have often thought that the half hitch helped keep the piece straight If that makes sense and that has been my conclusion of sorts.

Is this what your talking about?

IMAG0224.jpg

Looks to like that is just the tail being tied up and out of the way. If that is the hitch in question.

No, that picture isn't what he's talking about. The item in question can be either a half hitch or a marl, depending on how it is tied.

Now I'm confused. I thought he was referring to the termination of the rigging line onto the piece being rigged. The timber hitch though as I see he was referring to in the opening post is how I too attach the porty and I'm now kind of missing the question?

For a fleeting moment I felt smart. Lol.

Refer to your latest WesSpur catalog and look at rigging rope in the cover photo. He has a marl about 6" above the cut and then terminates the line with a running bowline about 18" up from the cut. I believe this is the item Joel is asking about.

But where then does the timber hitch fit into this rigging equation?

I have used it and now would like to know more on the reason and dynamics of the twist under the timber hitch in rigging out chunks.

I've never terminated the rigging line with a timber hitch myself? But then again I don't get out much.

But where then does the timber hitch fit into this rigging equation?

If the climber used a timber hitch instead of a running bowline, it still wouldn't have much effect on the marl (which I believe is what Joel was asking about).

It would matter about as much as what color socks the climber was wearing.

Refer to your latest WesSpur catalog and look at rigging rope in the cover photo. He has a marl about 6" above the cut and then terminates the line with a running bowline about 18" up from the cut. I believe this is the item Joel is asking about.

And if that's so, then I did have it spot on.

If the climber used a timber hitch instead of a running bowline, it still wouldn't have much effect on the marl (which I believe is what Joel was asking about).

It would matter about as much as what color socks the climber was wearing.

We all know the socks make the climber. If the socks are green, that means they're a green horn.

http://gypoclimber.com/showthread.php?14456-Wespur-s-Coverboy Post #9--is this what you mean?

A half hitch or marl (much like a half hitch but tied the "other" way, and doesn't drop out of the line when slid off of the piece) takes load off of the running bowline, (or if terminating your rigging line with a timber hitch, then taking the load off of the timber hitch). The rope bend is less severe, so it is stronger, and makes a RB easier to untie.

Just to clarify though. I'm guessing Joel meant something other than a timber hitch. Terminating a rigging line would make no sense like that. Timber hitch is meant for attatchment to large diameter wood and would be time prohibitive to tie and untie for rigging down pieces, plus the pieces would have to be huge in diameter in order to make it secure.

Just saying is all.

Back