Rigging Birds of Paradise

Here is a pic of the large BOP (we call them traveller's palms) in planters either side of the entrance and in pots up on the balcony, the usual smaller version most people are used to are in the pots down on either side of the front door.

I had to take both clumps out of the pots up on the balcony, one came down and was replanted elsewhere and the other was cut in half and repotted, one half each in the massive clay pots up there.

The clump weighed a ton on the crane scale.

Attachments

• They look so good well done Fi.jpg
    They look so good well done Fi.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 56
  • geesh that is one monster plant.jpg
    geesh that is one monster plant.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 56
  • glad we have the crane truck!.jpg
    glad we have the crane truck!.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 56
  • slings well tied.jpg
    slings well tied.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 55
HOT day, it all went well though.
The whole previous day was prep, loosening them from the pots, mixing soil, deciding how to cut the remaining one to repot...absolutely trashed a chain on my 361 cutting the rootball the next day.
The property manager decided just after she saw that one come out that she wanted to plant it somewhere else, not divide and pot it...had to send the groundies to dig a BIG hole...
My worst fear was breaking the huge pots up on the balcony, clay with none that size available on Island, would have had to have been shipped in.

I disagree about the trunk tie off. Giant Birds of Paradise are extremely top heavy. I had the rigging line just below the head of it and between the 3 of us on the job, it wasn't clear if the head weighed more than the rest of the trunk. So rather than talk about it for 5 more minutes, I spent 1 minute to add the rope. No harm in that, right? (or am I wrong? that happens sometimes)

I like using the slash cut. I'll give it a go next time I'm doing this weird plant.

I've hung whole trees, too. I find a lot of joy in doing so, in fact :)

Gotcha, Nick.

Here in Fla. that would've been $250 all day long. If you actually ask what it's worth, they'll find someone to do it for a 12pk of cheap beer. Too many tree-scabs going door to door. And when we get called out to price a palm and we tell them $50 to prune, they immediately say; we had a guy come and do it for $10.
After I hear that, I always tell them —well you better go find that guy again.

As for the BOP, things are mostly water. You could fill a gallon bucket with nearly every cut. Whats amazing is what a silky blade does to these things. Two good strokes and your clean thru them.

Looks like you were anchored into a Canary Island date palm- "Phoenix Canariensis."

Ditto on the silky for BOP!
Saves having to clean all the mush out of your saw and off whatever was behind the cut!

Then you've noticed the dark brown honey comb type membrane just under the fronds. Like straw width syphoning tubes -for drawing water. And heavy as sin, for it's relatively small diameter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup. It was a canary island date palm.

When people tell me about cheaper quotes for palms, I encourage them to verify insurance and google fusarium palm wilt, then verify with their crew what steps are taken to prevent it's spread.

Palms suck. I'll never compete on price with a palm.

love
nick

I feel the same way Nick and I have never been up one. Just observing what others tell about them. And my one free climb next to a date palm told me what I needed to know.
If you are going to send me up a palm, I am going to have my way with your finances.

Canary Island Dates...I've said my bit about them...I have the 2-3" thorns in a bottle that have been extracted from my anatomy. I do NOT like them.

I couldn't belive it when we moved to Tasmania, the stupid ass things grow HERE! In the cold and frost and crap.
I also will NOT compromise on any bid to work on them, I was SO sad when I lost a big money job to clean up 10 of them...

NOT!!!!!

Death Valley NP has invasive date palms expanding into desert springs. I cut some out with my crew back in the mid 2000's. You could see the water level rise day by day as we worked over 5 days. The creek ran farther before soaking into the earth. A crew member wasn't wearing boots and got one through her shoe, after being warned (20 y.o.).

I cleaned up one side of a phoenix palm last year, it was growing over the fence line and stuck a couple of people and the owner wouldn't do anyting about it. Got a call for another job there today and when I got there it was gone.:scratch:

Turns out the owner liked what I did so much he decided to do the rest himself, ended up in hospital for a week.

A Phoenix like a Canary Island, and people wonder why I don't like doing palms.

Phoenix_canariensis__Phoenix_palm-004.jpg

were those low tops Nick?
As comfortable as they are, I'll never wear them again after I broke my ankle on the job in 2012.. I was standing on a rope that got sucked through the chipper.. It took my foot out so fast, I was on the ground before I knew what happened.. Real boots would have saved the ankle...

Those salewas are what I prune with, super grippy and comfy.

Now you lot can see why we hate these things so much!! Great picture Steve

I cleaned up one side of a phoenix palm last year, it was growing over the fence line and stuck a couple of people and the owner wouldn't do anyting about it. Got a call for another job there today and when I got there it was gone.:scratch:

Turns out the owner liked what I did so much he decided to do the rest himself, ended up in hospital for a week.

A Phoenix like a Canary Island, and people wonder why I don't like doing palms.

View attachment 53570

I ignored my boss and tried spiking a BOP, it folded on me after I passed the 20 ft mark close to the head and I ended up on the neighbours roof, was a gentle ride but never tried it again.

Welcome, Stihlmadd. If you haven't seen it, there is an introduction thread. Did you get a good nickname out of it, by chance? Sounds like a good razzing point.

Back