Retention lines and side leaners

Too much hinge, and just as important, the felling cut below the face.

Strange, when I wrote that last post I was thinking about whiskey and water, Butch. I have a glass of wine on my desktop. After posting that reply I went to take a drink and expected to taste whiskey and water. That's strange.

To me it looked like a combination. If the back cut went farther, the split might have run up to the gap cleaner, but where it was stopped made the hinge too thick. The angle of the grain from below runs toward the back of the tree, it barely runs up to the upper cut edge, which kind of makes the lower back cut less productive.

To me it looked as though the retension line caused rotation.
Retention line was pulling or more correctly causin a pivot.
Double leader right?

Maybe so, but with less hinge and a proper application of back cut, it would have gone into motion and rotated OFF the stump.

OK,
I had to look a bunch of times, cause it just looked like there was something else wrong besides too thick on the hinge...

Here it is... bad cut Nick.. there's your lesson and your "mistake"...

The BBChair was casued by a low back cut (in combination with the already split trunk and weakness of the wood grain)

You can just see it here... Not low by much, but that's all it took.. A GOOD LESSON FOR ALL!

I love doing the forensics after a mishap... always an opportunity to learn.. and the retainer line made it a "free" lesson... that's as good as it gets..

Attachments

• nicks bbchair.jpg
    nicks bbchair.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 45
jon-stewart-popcorn11.gif

What I can see is that you knew you wanted to relieve the internal strain by your initial backcut bore. And I do agree that the lower backcut was too low, also. I think it would have been better to stay with the first backcut bore in, bring it almost to the very back of the tree; and either continue to bring your saw straight out the back to trip, or pull out and use your final nip by cutting in from the back of the tree maybe about an inch below the level of the boring cut. In the video, I think there was too much internal strain not removed, which caused the BC. If you think that the split might have also weekend the trunk, maybe cinch it down lower to the cut.

Thanks for letting us critique, and I'm open to either your agreement or disagreement with my observations. :thumbup:

Back