Removing a too tight ring with dental floss

Che

Treehouser
I googled before I went into the jewelers to have mine cut off.....luckily. I tried cold water, grease, everything I could think of, but couldn't remove my ring over my knuckle.

I found these directions, second time around it worked. I used non-waxed dental floss and olive oil.

This is the first one I found, but this one is good too.

Seems that it could come in handy in other situations as well...can't think of exactly WHAT....but it was sure cool how it worked.

cutting-pliers-251278.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was my thought, Brian, I had the snips ready....but you're supposed to cut it with a fine saw and it would be easier (cheaper) to repair. Darin...Mike hasn't worn one for years, so I thought I'd try it too. Stephan....sorry, wrong rings...but I'm sure it could be used to move something else beside a wedding ring....I'll be certain to post if I ever figure out what. Butch, since I've been on both a diuretic and BP meds since I was 25 or so....I don't think it would do anything.

My hand swelled so much with the last surgery, I figured I'd better go in without this next time....easier to remove without dressings. Amazing what you can find on the internet.

It's really cool how it moves the ring....(guess it doesn't take much to entertain me)

I have not worn a ring for many years...they can be a liability if you slip and they hang on something (as on a ladder and they hang up on a rung). I have read of fingers being torn off by such...my cousin had his finger denuded via the ring/ladder technique.

I was taught about this when learning rock climbing way back...instructors made us remove all jewelry before climbing.

Here is a story where an 11 year old lost a finger from such an event.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090409085431AAjFeQ4

I like denuded better....:D Google is your friend.

de·nude   
[dih-nood, -nyood] Show IPA
–verb (used with object), -nud·ed, -nud·ing.
to make naked or bare; strip: The storm completely denuded the trees.
Geology . to subject to denudation.

I've never removed mine from my finger, but it's only been three years.

Cool trick Che.
Mine has been off only once in 14 years of marriage.
It was in Vegas during that seven year itch..... I mean July of 2009 when I had surgery on my left shoulder. Went under anesthesia with it on and woke up with it off...

Rings are a danger if you work with your hands .I personally seldom wear them unless I'm putting on the dog then I look about like a St. Louis pimp .

I don't understand why men wear jewelry at all.

The military has all sorts of horror pics of accidents. One that stands out in my mind was the poster of a guys finger torn off by a ring. The ring was still on and a couple tendons/ligaments a foot long were still attached. All he did was step off the last step of a ladder, but the ring got hung up on a blot. It looked like it HURT.

A wedding ring has got a lot of people in a world of hurt, and not the physical injury kind. That would be a derail describing a derail. :roll:

I coulda used that trick 25 years ago. I came home from work to find my 10 year old son had stuck his finger in a hole in the top of our pot belly stove. It had been in there for a while. I told my wife you should have called me as soon as it happened as his finger was now swollen up. I tried the lube method - nothing. I took my jack knife and went in the stove door opening to scrape any rust or soot off between the stove and his finger-you should have seen the look on his face-Off with his finger.

I finally took a real small drill and drilled a line of small holes as close to his finger as I could. Then chipped out a piece of the stove. I asked him why he stuck his finger in there-he said he was just fiddlin' around. Years later he told me if he had been the Dad, his finger probably been all bloody.

The military has all sorts of horror pics of accidents. One that stands out in my mind was the poster of a guys finger torn off by a ring. The ring was still on and a couple tendons/ligaments a foot long were still attached. All he did was step off the last step of a ladder, but the ring got hung up on a blot. It looked like it HURT.

Yup... everytime I was stationed on an Aircraft Carrier... I didn't wear a ring just for that reason. :)

Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mike came home some years ago with a bent ring, but an intact ring finger. After I got it fixed, I asked him not to wear it and there it sits. He wore it once or twice when we went out that first year, but never since.

I don't believe I've had mine off for 23 years. It's just a very thin band, but I've even had it catch. During the half dozen times I've had to be put out, they just put a piece of tape over it. This time, I don't think that would work.

In my searches, I read about using tungsten rings for wedding bands, they will crack before your finger does. They can't be sized or removed without ruining the ring. I think there would still be many situations where they wouldn't be safe.

"I coulda used that trick 25 years ago. I came home from work to find my 10 year old son had stuck his finger in a hole in the top of our pot belly stove."

I do think it would work in that situation, thanks...I knew there'd be something! lol What a GOOD dad! :)

A buddy of mine lost his ring finger getting out of the helo. He reached up to grab the hoist hook to get out of the plane, and on our older hooks there's a smaller gated hook on the back of the main hook. Even through neoprene gloves, that smaller hook snagged his wedding ring and he jumped out and apparently felt the tug but went inside and was talking to someone in the hangar and they were like "dude, you're bleeding all over the place!" His finger and ring were still hanging on the hook... So he goes to the doc and doc says the finger is ruined, but he coould remove a TOE and sew it on in it's place. He thought the doc was joking so he said no and now he's got a stub there. I dunno...he says the wife likes it. Calls it "the shocker." :evil:

I'll never wear jewelry. My mom gave me a necklace that I wore for a couple months as a teen but I didn't like it. I've had two of my grandfather's rings in a box somewhere for 20 years and I haven't worn a watch since I was about 25. I don't understand the appeal, personally.

I used to wear 8 rings, mostly celtic silver and some hand made specials - about £2000 worth of silversmithing. Plus 3 pirates earings, and several chains. Not worn a scrap of jewlery in 10 years now, only just started wearing a watch again after 6 years.

Hahahahaha....Mr. T RULES!!!!!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UxbAPGRyGAM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UxbAPGRyGAM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

One of my buddies got a titanium ring for his wedding band, he was told that if it ever had to come off, it was coming off the hard way, with his finger.

Back