Australian timbers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@LUMBERJACKSON

looks like you have two of same thread going? Might want to see if Carl (our @lumberjack here) can delete one of them?

Is that a type of eucalyptus? Beautiful wood for sure. @stig is a woodturner....I bet he will like that chunk.

Is that called "spalted"?
Yeah i messed up.. looks like its been moved.. no not spalted thats just the sappy gum veins the eucalypt burls are full of it. Pretty nice hard stuff

@LUMBERJACKSON

looks like you have two of same thread going? Might want to see if Carl (our @lumberjack here) can delete one of them?

Is that a type of eucalyptus? Beautiful wood for sure. @stig is a woodturner....I bet he will like that chunk.

Is that called "spalted"?
Heres a bowla mate turned from that blackbutt burl chunk.. well im pretty sure its blackbutt. I havent turned any pieces of that chunk yet but shall be soon FullSizeR.jpg

You are right...coming in like gangbusters!

hqdefault.jpg

Really nice - what species?
Australian red cedar
Thanks. Top red log is red cedar. The chunk is blackbutt a type of eucalypt pretty hard stuff i gave that chunk to another woodturner i have a few other much larger chunks the burl was big aboyt 1200mm dia and 800mm thick
(Toona ciliata)

Nice posts and welcome.

Bit of info on Red Ceder. They first found it near where I used to live, long gone from there now. Pretty rare up here unless you go really off track.

@ lumberjackson

If you got a minute, tell us a bit about yourself here

Back