Reality Show - 4 Boston Tree Services

I haven't watched the video yet.

I'm familiar with 3 of the 4 outfits. None have a bad rep that I'm aware of. Greg would know more.

None of them are actually IN Boston.

It will be BS regardless. Nat Geo "reality" sucks. They ran a pilot called Boston Scrap last year I think that was completely fake. I know the guy who owns the junkyard (which was actually in Brockton) and he told me the producers script everything and EVERYTHING is planned and prepped for cameras. No major surprise there.

I doubt this will run for more than just the pilot.

It seems like the only way to know if that scene with the drunk worker was real or not, would be if the guy or the boss were to hit the other one over the head with the beer bottle.

Adam, based on the snow in the car scene, I think every episode for the year has been filmed. Lets hope it doesn't get to season two.

man, what an bullshit show that is. don't think he's drunk however. i'm sure it's scripted. I have worked with drunk people(among other things) some can function some cant. I hate drama tv.

Look, it wouldn't be reality tree work without showing guys with chemical dependency issues. I hate to say it but anyone that's been at this long enough knows what I'm talking about.

I agree. He's not drunk.

I watched the entire show on Cable On Demand...... Clearly, it's made for TV, staged and sensationalized. They really stretched it with all the drama sections. All were set up, it's obvious. And why not? A well run job by a competent crew will be rather boring to a TV audience.

Two of the four companies have either ISA Cert arbs, are TCIA members, or both. The other two are rougher around the edges, lacking some PPE, and more technically advanced skills, but are also well equipped...and a cut above the average run of the mill outfit.

I posted, supporting JB's excellent and well written post.

I was in on the Nosak Raw drama, what fun that was. This show won't be nearly as wild and wooley as that was! But it still degrades our industry...at least to those TV viewers who don't see through the nonsense staged stuff...and many will.

You are right Butch, it doesn't need to be shown on TV. I was being sarcastic.

When that dude hit the car with the log he was lowering, my thoughts while he rigged it up were "no no no". If I remember right, he had a rigging point equal in height or higher then the top of the log he was lowering. Yet he butt tied it? I was like "tip tie that so it doesn't flip hard when it comes off the cut".

It seems a stretch to call something a reality show if it is scripted. Hard to understand why anyone would want to compromise themselves by participating in something like that.

A well run job by a competent crew will be rather boring to a TV audience.
I don't know, I often see people come outside, set up lawn chairs, grab a drink and watch me work. I think it could be very interesting to watch. although I'm really into this stuff.

How long is the show? Thirty minutes seems to be about the max attention span of laymen observing tree work.

Back