Q-link/ loony alert

Why don't you say to them, "I dunno, why don't you watch and tell me if I do". Get them possibly thinking a bit.

Have you ever fallen out of a tree?

Why, yes, as a matter of fact. That's how we got the money to buy that shiny new truck and chipper!

We did a big ugly TD this week and the customer asked me if I had insurance to cover me "when" I fell out of the tree, not "if". He then asked who covered the deductible "when" his house was damaged. I have a quirky character and almost told him to forget the job, talk about trying to jinx us........

I dont go for that shit. Ive gotten funny about customers. If I think you have a problem brewing in your mind, I walk. Period. Call me jumpy, maybe I am. My experiences told me that if they have a negative spin on things before we get started, they'll surely have the same negativity after we've finished. Even with a job well done. Maybe Im jumpy, but a few bad experiences have left me that way. My wife even knows, when taking calls during the day, if they sound like an asshole, tell them we are too busy.

I do find it odd that believing in some talisman to keep you safe is apparently cool; yet to believe in a God that does the same thing obviously isn't. Something to think about the next time Brett is being bashed for his beliefs.

Just sayin'.

I would say I agree with Chris also. Usually my gut feeling on a job or customer proves about 98 percent accurate. If they start out that way, there is no pleasing them and they often look for shat to be wrong.

I do find it odd that believing in some talisman to keep you safe is apparently cool; yet to believe in a God that does the same thing obviously isn't. Something to think about the next time Brett is being bashed for his beliefs.

Just sayin'.

Thats food for thought there. I think the Treehouse would be even more outstanding then it already is, if we collectively agreed to let each person have their beliefs without getting hammered. This place is hands down an unparelleled website. Second to none. Little drama, talented folks, and a network of folks that come through for each other like family. I think the icing on the cake would be to not ridicule anyone over religion or spiritual beliefs. Its just a thought to be pondered.

Ill tell you what else sends me running. When a potential customer bitches to me about his last 10 tree services he hired. I understand a bad experience or two. Its easy to be fooled into hiring a shit tree company. But when its been bad experiences over and over for years on end, the customer is the problem, not the tree rats.

If I do get roped into working for a nightmare customer because they got past my radar, I always have the check written to me personally at the end of the job, not my company. I still write them a "paid in full" copy of the invoice, but that check is written to me personally and cashed in a jiffy. I had an experience where an asshole put a hold on a check after a job was done because the stump was 2 inches higher then I said it would be. The stump had rebar running through it down into the ground. He threw my business checking account into a tailspin with that maneuver. I still might listen to their gripes after the job is done and consider some options that might calm them down, but they wont frig me on the money. No sir.

I don't put a lot of creedence to a lucky charm ,rabbits foot or 4 leaf clover .Walking under ladders, Friday the 13th or the ides of March doesn't mean a thing to me .

Maybe there is a guardian angel ,maybe not but I've been a lucky SOB all my life and something or some entity has had my back .;)

"Whatever gets you through the night, it's alright". ~ John Lennon

Funny customers.... Last year a lady pumped me for a lot of information about a job she wanted done, my part of it and included was another aspect of the work that required someone else's skills that I recommended. I contacted the other person. Never heard from her again. until I called her and was told that she had something worked out with some other people. A couple months ago a similar thing happened with her about another job, and i was waiting to hear what the final plans were, having again made a couple telephone calls to a third party about it as well. I ended up calling her to get told that she had something else worked out. I ran her the riot act over the phone then, her not having the courtesy to call me back, before and then. She got all apologetic and said somehow that she had to make restitution..... I told her to forget it. Some hours later she showed up at my shop with a case of lemon juice to give to me, saying she didn't want me to get the wrong impression. It was sweetened lemon juice. Go figure.....?

It's interesting how threads evolve.

Back to the subject of being scared to go up. On a photo shoot of the Henry Tree the first ascent rope was set 200 plus. The tree leans over a canyon and so when you get your weight in the line you swing to the low side of the lean and it puts you over a hundred feet in the air just to get started.

That puckered me up. after reaching where the rope was set I advanced the lines to the top for the rest to follow. Another 100 plus. Being in the limbs of the tree the nervous tension subsided. Still a long ways to look down on the low side of that tree hanging in free air.

Just sayin'.

Not cool. Firstly, I don't see anyone bashing Brett for his beliefs. I occasionally see people getting slightly pissed at Brett for always trying to shove his beliefs down our throats.
Just as I would get pissed at Paul constantly telling me I need a little doohickey to climb trees properly.

Fact- if peoples lives (and their climbing!) are improved by their faith, be that in a God, an amulet, a smoke of weed or a good cup of joe, that's cool by me.

Heck, for me that's a requirement just to be able to get out the door and go to work. Takes the pressure off the back of the brain stem so I can think.

Back