Q-link/ loony alert

Yah I do too. Sometimes it noids me out. I get a kick out of the customer that wants to know if I 'Have a bucket' because it's so much safer they say. Clueless. I'm checking my holding cartridges tomorrow before putting my boom back into service.

The way lift cylinders are made on any type man lift they are supposed to not fail .If you were to blow a main line the lose of pressure should set the safety check which will stop all movement .Things can happen though .

The way lift cylinders are made on any type man lift they are supposed to not fail .If you were to blow a main line the lose of pressure should set the safety check which will stop all movement .Things can happen though .
Al, I heard what failed in the boom cylinder example I told about was the pin mounting gave way. Something to do with a factory weld.

I know the feeling. Nervous Tension. You don't even have to do anything and nervous tension will tire you out.

I cut my rope and fell about 15 feet, and another time rappeled off the end of my rope and fell about 40 feet. Both things were strictly pilot error.

In both cases it made me realize my mortality and presented some nervous tension. And I can not say that I fully ever got over it, but just so long as my gear and everything else checked out I moved forward with some confidence.

My uncle dropped 20 feet once. Smoked a joint, got back in the tree. 10 years later, his TIP snapped on a tulip poplar and dropped him about 35 feet on his back. That one broke a disc. 2 years ago was using another guys bucket on a job and it broke off at the turret and dropped him 40 feet. Smoked a cigarette and had a glass of iced tea and threw his hooks on and finished the tree. This year, choked a 12' 36" diameter tulip poplar log and when the crane operator lifted it up and it slipped out of its own bark and glanced down his back in the tree as it speared down into the ground..............

He's tough on the one hand but cursed on the other hand.

When I worked in California there was a climber who took a very bad fall because he decided not to use a face cut. His hip was broken as where several ribs and his back. He lived on my way to work and when he was lively enough to be outside on crutches, he'd flag me down for chat. Every conversation I had with him always ended with "If you climb trees, it's only a matter of time before you fall.". What a nice thought to start your day. Just like when customers ask me as I am about to climb their trees, "Have you ever fallen out of a tree?".

Well, I can not say I haven't taken a fall, but I can say I never been cut by chain saw. Well, once when I pulled the chain backwards on the bar. Since I gave it up I don't fear jinxing myself by saying that.

Paul, is this something you wear all the time now or just when doing work at heights?

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dave, I wear it full time. Here it is and yes I know that the "zing it" is a pretty good garrote....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 7
It's funny you say that about jinxing yourself Jerry. I don't believe in God, the Devil, ghosts or that space aliens have visited us. Still if I said something like you just did, I'd find some wood to knock on.

Funny things about uncles, Sometimes they are famous, but seemingly more often than not, infamous. Slipping bark, I've experienced it and don't like that one at all. Choking under a limb is good practice whenever possible.

Funny things about uncles, Sometimes they are famous, but seemingly more often than not, infamous.
It seems on the uncle business I was one with more of the later types than the former . I suppose looking ahead perhaps my own nieces and nephews might reflect the same someday .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We did a big ugly TD this week and the customer asked me if I had insurance to cover me "when" I fell out of the tree, not "if". He then asked who covered the deductible "when" his house was damaged. I have a quirky character and almost told him to forget the job, talk about trying to jinx us........

When someone asks me if I ever fall out of the tree, I usually camp it up with a "My goodness, what a horrible question to ask!".

Back