portable winch

simplypete

Treehouser
http://www.wesspur.com/portable-winch/portable-winch.html

Anyone use one? Have one, or an opinion on one. I just landed two jobs where hauling brush a long way up a very steep hill. Steep enough if you lost your footing it would be hard to stop. I don't want to carry anything up it besides myself. Doing some vista pruning and small stem removal. I am thinking of using that new 600' 9/16ths rope with a trolley and rigging plate. I plan on putting the block and tackle to lift the load and then pull it up to the chipper with the winch with a seperate pull line. The jobs would pay for the "tool"(pronounced toy). Also I don't see any other way.

Back up in the mountains Pete?

I have only used a chainsaw winch and those run around $800 without a saw. That winch seems like it would be a good thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've got a few jobs up in McCall. Vista clearing. These people live a long way above the Payette river in McCall and they want a better view. Hope the snow will melt or it's put off till spring.:cry:

I have an old Lewis chainsaw winch. It works, but leaves the operator in a risky location if you have a cable or anchor failure.

There has been a thread recently where we talked about these...I think if you use the search function, you could get to it. Woodworkingboy started it , if memory serves.

I followed the previous thread. Seems like a good enough product. I have already ordered from wesspur. Hope to take some pictures and let you all know how it turns out.

Possibly more expense than you want to get into, but I have the capstan winch with the 2.5 hp Honda engine....2500 lb. capacity rating, or twice that with a doubled line. Recommended over at the other thread, Leon's choice! Really like it for pulling logs up, frequently an incline, which is why it was purchased. 34 pounds weight, still portable. A great tool, and well worth the price, imo.
Half inch three strand rope the way to go with this winch.

Attachments

• media.nl.jpeg
    media.nl.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 65
That's the one I ordered. I hope it all works out. Don't have any half inch three strand, but I am sure to have some burly old true blue. What are your thoughts on pulling up a steep incline with a trolley?

Yes, it's been a big help so far.

They are quite specific about what types of rope work best. I haven't experimented enough to know about rope differences. The half inch is recommended due to the number of turns that you can get on the spool.

The anchor plate option sold separately, that can fasten the unit directly to a tree, seems like a good idea. I didn't get one, just rely on a sling, and the unit lifts up off the ground.

Sorry, have never used a trolley. If the log was too heavy to pull otherwise, getting something that slid easily under it, seems like a big plus. I think it was Willie who suggested getting the plastic nose cone they sell, to put over the end of the log getting pulled, to keep it from digging in. Kind of pricey, getting by without it here.

Unless you're going to mill the logs, you can just cut an angle on the end of the log with a chainsaw to allow it to slide over bumps and roots. I did that once using a 150 bull rope, a couple blocks and my truck.

Using the truck might of been an option. The hill is so steep they do not want further erosion damage. They want me to use a little goat trail to get down the hill in the first place. That's the reason for the trolley and high line. No big deal, and I'll have a new toy.

I would love to help you with that Pete, too bad I have employees to keep working and bills to pay. Perhaps I can sneak up for a day and see what you have going after you get it dialed in.

I will try to take some pictures. Should be there for a full day. One other place has potential for using the rig if the golf course is still wet.

Don't forget to have your spar tree far enough back that you can land your piles on a flat spot, save you gobs of time and energy.

Jay, i'd love to hear more about your experience with that unit. Do you wish now that you had got the nose cone or is it not such a big deal? Pics or video? How big are the logs ou are skidding with it?

Sure Willie, but so far have only used the winch on two sites, so experience is still limited. The logs I've pulled were all pine, the max being around two feet in diameter, and bucked up to twelve foot or longer lengths. Consistent dependable pulling power, and I haven't had to use the double line yet, which as you know will decrease pulling speed by half. It took a little bit of using before figuring out the best way to control the line coming off the capstan reel, the amount of human pull, etc., so the winch is working best for me and human effort is at a minimal. A nice feature built into the device, is that if the load gets excessive beyond the rating, the winch stops working, a sort of clutch mechanism that acts as a safety override, I guess it is. The manual gives a tip on what to do if the load is borderline too heavy, a kind of quick pull and release cycle over and over, to get the load skipping your way.

I've never used a capstan winch before, and it was a bit strange to see the unit lift up off the ground when pulling and be held by the sling around a tree. I didn't consider the physics of what would be going on.
Like I mentioned earlier, if you were to be using the device in one location for an extended period of time, I'd look into getting the tree attachment plate option, sold separately, or make one up. It attaches to the tree like a GRCS, and the winch is fastened to that. I think the fact that the unit is stabilized and not moving up and down a bit, makes for easier management of the winch line, and also saves a little bit of inconvenience when reaching for the throttle. Attaching the winch higher on a tree than using a sling allows, gets the head of the log up higher too, so as to help alleviate the digging in tendency. At first I thought the nose cone was a must, and that I should have purchased one, but using the angled face that Brian mentioned, and rigging to get maximum lift, mostly eliminates the need. Attaching the cone would probably end up being just another non-essential task that uses up some time. Once the log gets moving, it pretty much keeps on, unless you run into something. Over longer distances the cone might be more essential. Still not clear on it though, and varying sites and ground conditions may be a factor.

They advise against using the winch for pulling downwards, it isn't really designed for that, the risk being that there is likelihood that the base plate that holds the winch, will separate...strip out?. I think that the attachment plate option might alleviate that concern, there was something about getting around the problem, but the manual is at the shop and I can't remember. Only one situation so far, but the unit proved very effective for pulling out a hung up tree, when I got myself into a less than fun scenario with my cuts and the way the trunk would be sliding apart when freeing up the bind, and where I'd have to be to accomplish it. I hooked up the winch and it pulled the suckers apart while I might have been drinking a cup of tea...slick!

That's about where I'm at with the winch up to this point.

bad ass jay , sounds like fun
id thought one of them would be handy for pulling turns of brush on our fire clearance jobs
right now i use an old 300 ft 5/8 line a couple slings and shackles 1 block and a 4x4 pick up
its the redneck yarder, works great for downhill,
upihills way more work and a pain in the ass
the winch set up is the way to go

No prob. In my last paragraph, I meant to say that they advise against the winch pulling downwards (not upwards), like if you were attached high to pull over a leaner. That is in the stock configuration. I corrected my earlier post.

i bought a lewis winch off ebay--runs and works great--perfect for locations where you cant get anything in except your saw and body. then fire it up,and drag the pieces out. like said,double the line thru a pulley,mine will pull 5270 lbs--thats a bunch

Back