Ox Block

Must mean this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xSA9FBigHa0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BMS Belay Spool $110.

HOw much can it actually lower with those wraps without hockling the F*&^ out of it?

How strong is that hook without the gate shut? I'd have to tape the gate shut. It would possbly open remotely via brush or a protrusion of wood.

Looks great for lineman.

I like the concept of the ox block- but yeah- those twists make it a no go for me.

Seems a rap rack could be incorporated to have the same function but twist free

love
nick

Waiting for a 540 Rescue belay pulley I snagged on eBay for $75.00
Think it functions similar to a belay spool, but not as heavy duty.

"The well-engineered Traverse 540° is a patented, self-locking, easy-to-rig device that meets demanding drop-test criteria: able to hold falling loads quickly while limiting the peak force. The symmetrical design reduces the risk of improper rigging. A built-in release lever discharges the tension on the belay rope, eliminating the need for a release hitch."

Last edited:
image.jpg image.jpg

"the 540° is rigged by opening the front plate, wrapping the rope one and a half turns around the spool, and closing the front plate..
When a heavy load is encountered in use, the spool will rotate to one side and squeeze the trailing end of the rope between the spool and the wing bars. This provides a dramatic increase in friction...the rope only makes a 540° pass around the spool as opposed to 900° on other devices such as the Bassett Metal Studios Belay Spool or the Single Rope Technique RBM Belay Spool, the additional friction generated this way is easily appreciated."

Sounds like it pinches the rope? What is the release mechanism?

Let us know how it works.

I'll still recommend the BMS BS, at least until hearing your review.

I dunno how it works or how well it works - it won't even arrive for at least a week or two.
I ordered a BMS spool a few weeks ago and it will be neat comparing the two devices.
A new 540 thing is very spendy, compared to a BMS spool, but that is probably cause it's target market is FDs and search & rescue outfits.

Cool design, but would probably turn your line into a corkscrew with knots after running a few yards weighted.

When I descend from a removal on the pull line -using a Munter hitch, the rope gets all kinked up. I imagine the same would happen with the OxBlock.

Back