One of Burnham's odd jobs

We all learn that one early in our careers, Burnham. The safest place to be when crap starts falling is above the falling crap. 8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bingo. Funny how it's hard for the poor ground-dwelling lesser beings to grasp that, ain't it?
:D

It's not as much fun in the real world as one might imagine...I can unequivocably state.

Someone else can deal with the leaf lickers (kudos Squish), I just wanna be a platform dissassembler:dude:

Agreed, it is a little odd, but so far I haven't had any real trouble with it, just have to deal with it being a bit fiddly to take off.

Two questions, what suspenders are you using with that saddle and what fasteners were the smokers using to tie the smaller wood into the main spars? Big ol screws?

As to the suspenders...none. You might be looking at my simple figure 8 chest harness, or you might be seeing the regular set of button mount suspenders I use instead of a belt on my Husky "saw proof" pants.

They used hundreds of large nails, aka spikes...diameter of a pencil, 7 inches long.

Are those relatively recent structures Burnham, or had they been in the trees for a while? I can imagine some pretty weird dynamics and shifting going on while cutting if they had been there long enough for the trees to kind of grow around them, almost like cutting a cable in a tree without relieving the weight first. Looks like an interesting day at work for sure.

Relatively recent, say a couple of years, up to very recent, just a few weeks. No real weird dynamics, just tighten up your life line and lanyard and cut the platform crossmembers out from under you...take a little swing.

Ummmm...were you wearing ear plugs?
Also, whats the rig you two have on your chests, and what's it for?

I half to laugh Burnham. Seeing you do that brings back many memories for me and probably Jerry B as well. Cut platforms, miles of rope and many other things I wont mention for almost two years. It's definitely a weird feeling watching the floor fall out from under you.It's even stranger to see 150'180' trees being felled right next to you. It gives you the feeling as if your tree is falling backwards for a moment.

Ummmm...were you wearing ear plugs?
Also, whats the rig you two have on your chests, and what's it for?

Yes, plugs. I often don't use the headset pair if it's just short bursts of saw use, as was the case here. I like to double up when the saw is running constantly...plus, I wanted to be able to hear at least some of the noises the structure was making as it was disassembled.

USFS climbers wear a simple chest harness to facilitate body positioning should an aerial rescue be needed...though we are on the cusp of making that a recommendation rather than a requirement.

I half to laugh Burnham. Seeing you do that brings back many memories for me and probably Jerry B as well. Cut platforms, miles of rope and many other things I wont mention for almost two years. It's definitely a weird feeling watching the floor fall out from under you.It's even stranger to see 150'180' trees being felled right next to you. It gives you the feeling as if your tree is falling backwards for a moment.

I know pretty much exactly what you mean, Greg. I spent most of 2000-2001 dealing with direct action protestors, and off and on thereafter for a few more logging seasons. I'm glad to see those days gone.

Those of us who are loggers will probably be reincarnated as treehuggers, to balance things out.

Or as trees.

Yep me too, but it was interesting while it lasted. Dont think I would ever do it again. Had my fill of that excitement.