One of Burnham's odd jobs

Thanks for the clarification B...I always wondered what the extra kit was for.
Slight derail, I was taught to use my lanyard to keep a rescue victim upright, sling it round their back, over their shoulder and clip it back on to me, seemed to work ok in practice...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It does work alright in practice, but it also adds an additional step to the whole rigamarole/clusterfrick that is aerial rescue. And I never clip the victim to me, but that's a matter we could discuss nearly endlessly, and would be better addressed in another thread, perhaps :).

But your alternative has been advocated by a majority of the members of the USFS Technical Advisory Group for some years...I and a few like-minded holdouts held it off for a while, but have now given in. Frankly, I much prefer the idea of making it as handy as possible for a rescuer to get me down. In 25+ years of climbing, wearing the chest harness has so seldom given me any negative issues that I find people whining about how much of a hassle they are to wear just plain noise without cause.

Personally, in point of fact I find the chest harness a useful accessory. It gives me an additional place to hang certain bits of gear that I'm actively using/installing/removing.

Perhaps my favorite use for it is to stand leaning over a rope bag, clip the rope I want to flake into the bag through the chest harness biner. Then I can just hand over hand the rope down into the bag, with the rope fairleading through the biner on the harness at the center of my chest. It's by far the fastest, easiest way to stow a rope. Works just as well for throwlines, back into a folding cube or bag...even the little stow bags go much quicker this way.

I'll continue to wear one.

I don't wear a chest harness but do wear a daisy chain loop runner bandoleer style...the loops are handy for places to stow biners and I keep a first aid pack attached to a rear loop. I'll try to find a picture.

And I use it like B said to make it easier to flake rope into the rope bag...that was a good tip you passed along a year or so ago...thanks.

The ones we have at work ,Rose a division of MSA have D-rings all over them .As a normal rule the rescue ring is the dorsel,the one in back .

The rings on the side are for work positioning .I have no idea what the chest ring is for,decoration maybe .The back, rescue -life line /fall arrest lanyard .

A guy I used to work with would wear his belt with the ring in front. I tried to explain to him what would happen if he ever fell out of the bucket and hit the end of his rope but it never fazed him

I fell aboot 12 feet facing straight down, trimming. The floating dee just snapped me back into an upright sitting position. I didn't even drop my 200. Shinnying back up th rope was a pita, but it wasn't the first time. Good thing I had a stgrong back!

Ouch !
what an awful felling. I'm glad you didn't be hurt.
Take care of you Butch, strong guys use to be hard on their own body.