One of Burnham's odd jobs

Nothing like those pics but I've hit nails twenty feet up in a woods tree from some SOB building a deer stand .:what:

Just curious, Burnham, what would be the penalty for people who are caught building or using those emplacements, if anything? I can picture a few reasons, but what is the official line as to why those structures have to be torn out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
First question...why the 260? You cannot imagine how much metal was in those stupid structures. The number of spikes defies belief, especially if one were to contemplate actually buying them...so I postulate theft from somewhere. Anyway, I packed in the 200T, and almost immediately trashed the chain in a rookie move. The crew had a pair of 260's for lop and scatter, so I borrowed one to finish that structure. I'll post some more pics this morning...shows my second using the re-sharpened 200T.

The range of penalties is broad, Jay. There were actually 7 people cited in an adjacent camp, not so elaborate in-tree structures, but the same style. The possible citations could include exceeding the 14 day dispersed camping site limit, felling live trees, felling snags, damage to live trees, improper sanitation management, theft of gov't property (signs), and construction of non-permited permanent structures. If the LEO's wanted to do so, there would also have been a very real possibility (maybe even certitude) that closer inspection of the camp would have turned up drugs and/or underage alchohol possesion. Those 7 cited were given what could be seen as a light set of fines, against the possible infractions. I heard $250 each, for the illegal camping and tree damage...the easy to prove citations.

Oh, I forgot about one question...the one-handing is not condoned by the FS and is in direct violation of S-212 protocols.

But I suspect cutting the platform out from under yourself isn't exactly within those prescribed operating perameters, either :D.

That's why they call me when this sort of stuff comes up ;).

Last edited:
Here's a few more pics.

Attachments

• ewok village 012.jpg
    ewok village 012.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 13
  • ewok village 011.jpg
    ewok village 011.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 14
  • ewok village 023.jpg
    ewok village 023.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 14
  • ewok village 018.jpg
    ewok village 018.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 14
  • ewok village 027.jpg
    ewok village 027.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 13
  • ewok village 026.jpg
    ewok village 026.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 13
  • ewok village 024.jpg
    ewok village 024.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 13
How about the much loved " disturbing plantlife" citation?

Or is that only used for climbers caught in big trees;)

Absolutely, Greg. Should have packed it in as well...hindsight.

It's a great saw, just a little screaming demon. What's the cost these days, if I can be so bold as to ask?

How about the much loved " disturbing plantlife" citation?

Or is that only used for climbers caught in big trees;)

That too, or the even more non-specific "causing resource damage". The Man with the hammer.
:D

Brought over here from another, less related thread.

I wonder where they found all that wood? Is the forest packed with 'lil trees?

Limb wood maybe? Duno

Some was cut green trees, understory mountain hemlock and subalpine fir, a lot was dead snags or downed wood of the same species. The stand where these camps were located is at about 4000 feet, and is less than 100 years old...burned off by natural fire and regenerated naturally too, I believe.

So there's lots of stems per acre and lots that have been shaded out, lost the competition for space.

Yes. Cutting the platform out from underneath you is the safer way to get them down, believe it or not.

One of the critical parts to getting everything arranged for that release cut is having your left hand set and ready to pop the chainbrake when movement starts. In that pic, the chain is locked at that point.

Absolutely zero slack in your lifeline and lanyard at the full out reach to make that cut, and triangulate your position so any swing is minimized and balanced so your body stays upright.

My partner pulled that one off perfectly.