Official Random Fact/Random Thought Thread!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are sunsets more vibrant in areas where pollution is higher? That's been my personal experience as someone who has lived in both MA and AZ, with AZ being near a lot of pollution.

Read this article for the full answer...

Check out this picture I took next to my Walgreens. I did NOT edit this photo whatsoever. The colors in real life were actually more saturated and vibrant...

PXL_20231220_003137633.jpg

Are sunsets more vibrant in areas where pollution is higher? That's been my personal experience as someone who has lived in both MA and AZ, with AZ being near a lot of pollution.

Read this article for the full answer...

Check out this picture I took next to my Walgreens. I did NOT edit this photo whatsoever. The colors in real life were actually more saturated and vibrant...

View attachment 135718
Arizona has been famous for our sunsets, long before pollution became an issue.

Anecdotally, I've seen the sun set in 49 states. Arizona wins, hands down, just about every time. The ocean is nice and all, but the gods paint our sky with heavy hands, a gift in recompense for suffering under an angry sun.

Random Thought: Be careful being a loyal patron of your favorite food establishment. I just went HARD on the jalapeno poppers at this local place down the street called Long Wong's and I placed three orders of poppers probably four or five times in the last few weeks. Suddenly, I placed three more orders of jalapeno poppers today and the price has gone up from $5.99 for 6 x poppers to $6.99 for 6 x poppers. What is wrong with America?! The price WAS right! Don't f*ck with your customers like that. As a businessman, in the same exact position, I would maintain the price and allow the money to roll in. Maybe, just maybe, after a few months, I would increase the price if volume was steady.

Okay, okay, I know what you're thinking. Maybe I'm not the only asshole who has discovered the beauty of this guy's jalapeno poppers. Maybe he's making a calculated move. It just seems really coincidental that I show up and this guy increases the freaking prices. Lawd have mercy! Praise be to the Baby Jesus! =-P

Random Fact: I just pre-released a new hitch accidentally. They are both an homage to the Catalyst hitch.

Knotorious, you've eaten upwards of 90 jalapeno poppers in the last few weeks. Unless you're out ropewalking and testing hitches everyday those calories are gonna add up. Just giving you some tough love man. Emotional eating or just too lazy too cook, it's not good. Take care of yourself.

Knotorious, you've eaten upwards of 90 jalapeno poppers in the last few weeks. Unless you're out ropewalking and testing hitches everyday those calories are gonna add up. Just giving you some tough love man. Emotional eating or just too lazy too cook, it's not good. Take care of yourself.
Thanks, Mom,. You've seen my videos. I'm not fat, but I am selectively lazy. I don't put anywhere as enough work into my diet as I do my YouTube videos, so there's a lot of truth to your post. F*ck me, I'm addicted to jalapeno poppers. I promise I'll stop. No more poppers. I had better go outside and start hip thrusting all of these calories off.

Here's what a clownfish looks like. They love sea anemones. Who doesn't? =-D

View attachment 135616
View attachment 135617
An article on clownfish...

not sure I agree with their conclusion, but it's interesting. Also, this was in the comments, which I thought was interesting...

Clownfish are closely related to damselfish, which I often refer to as the chihuahuas of the sea. I've had tiny damselfish attack me on multiple occasions while scuba diving. Very territorial. Two of the occasions were me trying to photograph something completely unrelated, and then suddenly feeling an impact on my leg (I wasn't wearing a wetsuit). I guess my leg being 3 feet from their rock was too close. On another occasion I had one swarming my camera trying to attack the lens port and strobe.

For clownfish, I've been lucky to have been scuba diving with I think 7 different species, and back in college kept a pair of ocellaris in a reef tank. One thing I wonder is if they are trying to establish dominance over other clownfish. Normally in any colony, they are all born male and the most dominant one becomes a female. You can't ever have two females together though. I remember with my pair, I got them both when they were young males, and one eventually became the dominant female. The male would do a submissive dance to the female, which almost looked like a seizure to me.

As for counting, this partially reminds me of an old job of mine where I worked at a non-profit organization that worked with bottlenose dolphins. I only did photography and videography there, but I got to see them do a lot of research with the dolphins about counting. They would have white dots on a black background, and the dolphin would tap on the one with the fewest dots. They were extremely fast at this. The dolphins did a great many things that are normally considered human only. Very unique personalities to each one, and a fantastic sense of humor even. Pranksters for sure.

My daughter has a major thing for clownfish (and ocean life) right now, she has a bunch of them as stuffed animals and several "informational textbooks" on them lol. My wife has even crocheted a couple for the kids, they have to sleep with them now, looks like a drained aquarium in their beds with all the stuffed animal fish :lol:

When she was a toddler she was totally obsessed with that movie, complete with singing along even though she could barely talk. Now it's all about actually learning about real fish, it's crazy how interested she is about them. She doesn't play with play with dolls hardly at all, but she's all about animals. She actually asked for "informational textbooks" about her interests for Christmas, I'm thinking she's gonna be a smart one. They have little tablets they get to play with on the weekend, she's taught herself how to look up pictures of different animals and fish by finding them in a book first so she can spell them out when typing. Both kids also play minecraft on them, apparently she killed off entire villages so she could make a cat sanctuary, spawning cats as fast as she can in their now vacant houses :lol: The actual cats kinda look around for all the cats they keep hearing, hundreds of cats meowing on a tablet is kinda maddening.

Lol she does, she's the quiet smart kid, covid and me being sick has affected her personal skills a bit, but she does alright, we went to a school fair last year and she was telling the balloon guy about her multiple boyfriends that give her presents and treats, the wife and i dying laughing because she purposely tells us as little as possible like she's trying to keep school life separate from her home life. My son is also wicked smart, and he's got the disinterested lovable asshole thing down pat already, needless to say the teachers get a kick out of them both.

Random Fact: Do all marsupials have pouches? In most marsupials, only the females have a pouch. However, males of the water opossum and the extinct tasmanian tiger (or thylacine) also have a pouch. The males of both the thylacine and water opposum used/use their pouch to keep their genitalia from getting entangled in vegetation.

Random Fact: What is a "flapper." Flappers were a "new breed" of young Western women in the 1920s who wore short skirts, bobbed their hair, listened to jazz, and flaunted their disdain for what was then considered acceptable behavior.
Flappers were seen as brash for wearing excessive makeup, drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes in public, driving automobiles, treating sex in a casual manner, and otherwise flouting social and sexual norms.[1] As automobiles became more available, flappers gained freedom of movement and privacy.[2]

Flappers are icons of the Roaring Twenties, a period of postwar social and political turbulence and increased transatlantic cultural exchange, as well as of the export of American jazz culture to Europe. More conservative people, who belonged mostly to older generations, reacted with claims that the flappers' dresses were "near nakedness" and that flappers were "flippant", "reckless", and unintelligent.

While primarily associated with the United States, this "modern girl" archetype was a worldwide phenomenon that had other names depending on the country, such as joven moderna in Argentina[3] or garçonne in France, although the American term "flapper" was the most widespread internationally.[4]

The slang term "flapper" may derive from an earlier use in northern England to mean "teenage girl", referring to one whose hair is not yet put up and whose plaited pigtail "flapped" on her back,[5] or from an older word meaning "prostitute".[6] The slang word "flap" was used for a young prostitute as early as 1631.[7] By the 1890s, the word "flapper" was used in some localities as slang both for a very young prostitute,[8][page needed][9] and, in a more general and less derogatory sense, of any lively mid-teenage girl.[10]

Violet Romer in a flapper dress c. 1915

The standard non-slang usage appeared in print as early as 1903 in England and 1904 in the United States, when novelist Desmond Coke used it in his college story of Oxford life, Sandford of Merton: "There's a stunning flapper".[11] In 1907, English actor George Graves explained it to Americans as theatrical slang for acrobatic young female stage performers.[12] The flapper was also known as a dancer, who danced like a bird—flapping her arms while doing the Charleston move. This move became quite a competitive dance during this era.[13]

SOURCE: Flapper - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flapper

Random Fact: Do all marsupials have pouches? In most marsupials, only the females have a pouch. However, males of the water opossum and the extinct tasmanian tiger (or thylacine) also have a pouch. The males of both the thylacine and water opposum used/use their pouch to keep their genitalia from getting entangled in vegetation.

Random Fact: What is a "flapper." Flappers were a "new breed" of young Western women in the 1920s who wore short skirts, bobbed their hair, listened to jazz, and flaunted their disdain for what was then considered acceptable behavior.
Flappers were seen as brash for wearing excessive makeup, drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes in public, driving automobiles, treating sex in a casual manner, and otherwise flouting social and sexual norms.[1] As automobiles became more available, flappers gained freedom of movement and privacy.[2]

Flappers are icons of the Roaring Twenties, a period of postwar social and political turbulence and increased transatlantic cultural exchange, as well as of the export of American jazz culture to Europe. More conservative people, who belonged mostly to older generations, reacted with claims that the flappers' dresses were "near nakedness" and that flappers were "flippant", "reckless", and unintelligent.

While primarily associated with the United States, this "modern girl" archetype was a worldwide phenomenon that had other names depending on the country, such as joven moderna in Argentina[3] or garçonne in France, although the American term "flapper" was the most widespread internationally.[4]

The slang term "flapper" may derive from an earlier use in northern England to mean "teenage girl", referring to one whose hair is not yet put up and whose plaited pigtail "flapped" on her back,[5] or from an older word meaning "prostitute".[6] The slang word "flap" was used for a young prostitute as early as 1631.[7] By the 1890s, the word "flapper" was used in some localities as slang both for a very young prostitute,[8][page needed][9] and, in a more general and less derogatory sense, of any lively mid-teenage girl.[10]

Violet Romer in a flapper dress c. 1915

The standard non-slang usage appeared in print as early as 1903 in England and 1904 in the United States, when novelist Desmond Coke used it in his college story of Oxford life, Sandford of Merton: "There's a stunning flapper".[11] In 1907, English actor George Graves explained it to Americans as theatrical slang for acrobatic young female stage performers.[12] The flapper was also known as a dancer, who danced like a bird—flapping her arms while doing the Charleston move. This move became quite a competitive dance during this era.[13]

SOURCE: Flapper - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flapper

edit:
The real thing...

Random Fact: What was the first fast food restaurant? Arguably, the first fast food restaurants originated in the United States with A&W in 1919 and White Castle in 1921. Today, American-founded fast food chains such as McDonald's and KFC are multinational corporations with outlets across the globe.

Random Fact; Why do quarterbacks lift their leg before the snap? A QB can lift his leg in both the shotgun formation as well as from under center. In the shotgun, generally, it's a timing cue for the center to snap the ball. When the QB is under center, the leg lift is generally indicating to players who are split wide in the formation that they can start "in motion".

Random Fact: What's the fastest man-made object? The NASA Parker Solar Probe has become the fastest human-made object ever recorded — again. On Sept. 27, the probe reached a blistering 394,736 mph/ (635,266 km/h) as it swooped close to the sun's surface, thanks to a little gravity assistance from a close flyby of Venus on Aug. 21, 2023.

Random Fact: The Sentinelese, also known as the Sentineli and the North Sentinel Islanders, are indigenous people who inhabit North Sentinel Island in the Bay of Bengal in the northeastern Indian Ocean. Designated a particularly vulnerable tribal group and a Scheduled Tribe, they belong to the broader class of Andamanese peoples. There have been several attempts by individuals, mostly missionaries hoping to spread the word of God, to make peaceful contact with the Sentinelese, but all who have landed on the island have been brutally massacred, with their bodies often left on the shore as a message. Very little is known about them and they are now protected by the Indian government, with ships patrolling the waters around the island. There have been other interesting attempts at contacting the tribe by leaving gifts on the shore in hopes of gaining the tribe's good favor, and almost all have ended in failure or with violence responses by the tribe. There was even a time when a ship got shipwrecked on the island with several crew members. Read about what happened there, and with every other effort at contact, in the article below.

Learn more about the Sentinelese here: Sentinelese - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinelese

Random Fact: Mount Everest 8,848.86m (29,029ft) is continuing to grow, for now, at a rate of 4mm per year, according to the latest data. However, it isn't the fastest growing mountain in the world. The closest contender for the top spot is perhaps Nanga Parbat, a neighbor to Everest located in the Pakistani Himalayan range, which is 8,126m (26,660ft) tall and growing at 7mm (0.27in) per year. In 241,000 years it could overtake Everest to be the tallest mountain on Earth, provided rates of erosion don't change.

Random Fact: Microplastics have been found very close to the top of Mount Everest, in both snow and in melt water streams.

Back