Official I Am Outta Here Thread!

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 2K
  • Views 111K
we are off for a few nights tenting. might change next week, I have a buddy going to look at a 20 foot trailer for us that is out of town, its a few years old but the price is about right. :)
Stay nice to each other around here wouldya?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

With the right gear........ safer maybe :/:

The camp host is missing for the last couple days at our site... I am thinking a quick climb. Two cedar and a white pine all close together could be fun to play with and traverse :D
Maybe a sunset climb :/:

Reason I asked was that at one point in the Sequoias, I had a really difficult transfer from a SRT rope into the tree.
I made it but my hands were shaking like mad.

Then Richard swung around from his side of the tree ( damned thing was about 12-15 feet diameter up there), looked at me and said, " so you brought a pair of those shaky hands, too!):D

Afterwards we talked about how you can't really be an adrenalin junkie, travel ½ way around the world to get into the biggest trees imaginable, and not expect to get scared.

So basically we agreed that the whole purpose of the trip was to get scared.

All I can say, we got what we came for.:lol:

Stig, I tend to think the fear keeps you safe. Think about how many double checks get done of a hairy section of tree!!
Or maybe I'm the only one that does that?

I aways double check.
When I'm scared; I triplecheck.

The fun part about fear is overcoming it and doing what you set out to do.
Then when you get to the beer afterwards, you feel REAL good:)

Fear is a good thing, as it opens your eyes and put you on a safer behavior.
But scare is the worst reaction : you loose all your mind, knowledge and physical ability. Either you freeze, or You can do very stupid things, only to put you out of this situation.
Scare is often deadly in life threatening situations.
And I don't know if there's something to do to avoid or reduce this "mental collapse".
It's scary !

Go check out our discussion in the Ground bees thread...some nearly parallel points, Marc-Antoine. And good points they are.

I follow this thread and saw the stories.
I recall one like that.
It was in a oil palms plantation in Ivory Coast, where I spent 14 months for the cooperative military service.
The old oil palms have to be climbed for cleaning the crown and harvesting the bunchs of fruits. Up to around 25 feet, they do that with poles mounted knifes.
The valuable palms "mother's nursery" have permanent ladders to facilitate the access for care and seeds collect.
A fellow climbed a tall palm like thousands before, bare hand because of the ladder. But when he reached the fronds, he found himself nose to nose with a green mamba, a deadly big snake. A so bad meeting that he let go of the fronds and fall on his his back from 33 feet.
He was still alive, but I don't know in which state.

Oh, man...I'll take the bald-faced hornets, I think!

Face to face aloft with a for-absolutely-sure-dead-if-you're-bitten poisonous snake...no thanks.

I trained some Puerto Rican climbers a while back... down in their islands, half the damn forest ecosystem there is poisonous, it seems. You walk down a skinny trail to get to the tree to climb and your local guide keeps saying, "don't touch that, don't touch this". I think I'll just take the bears and cougars up here in my woods, thank you very much.
:|:

Well, I live the place tomorrow and will drive to my parent's home.
Holidays for two weeks, be there for my mom's birthday and doing some maintenance work.
And some trees are waiting for me too !:D

See you soon.

Home safe and sound. Truck, van and boat are unpacked. Camping gear back into storage. Ice chests emptied and cleaned out. Animals were fed the left overs for the most part except what we will be having for leftover night at home. Kids have already been outside with their toys with big smiles. Garden needs a little water, but a lot more has become larger and the tomatoes have started to ripen. :) Looks like we should have some monster pumpkins as well.
Going back to work is going to suck tomorrow, but it was all worth it :)
It was fun being able to share some of the fun with you all as we went. Pretty cool they had WiFi up there.

Back, for a few hours anyways, 3 days of tenting and fun with family (including my sisters and bro in laws with the combined 6 children), good weather till a light rain last night, a load of free wood from a tree guy I know on the way out of town and came back to the news that we are now (deposit paid, balance to be paid tomorrow after a 4 hour drive to view it in person) the owners of a '97 travel trailer. Had a friend headed out of town that managed to stop and inspect the trailer then haggle a price knowing my $$ ceiling. He got it for less than I thought I would offer to start. Plus the hitch, equalizer and a bunch of new pots pans and dishes etc were thrown in. Here's to hoping it all works out in grand fashion!

ps, Much thanks to Gasoline Gary for advice along the way.

Attachments

• 58394g2_20.jpg
    58394g2_20.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2
Willie, its been a marathon of Craigslist trolling for the last few weeks, two near misses then this one. I am off shortly to go pay up for it, then turn it around and drop it off at a storage yard and drive back home. Hope to be home before midnight so I can be back to work tomorrow. Back u on labour day (sept long weekend) to clean and hang out in it with the family. :)

I am thinking I will start hunting for a tent style trailer for my crew here in the next couple of years. Lilly should be traveling better by then and it could easily be pulled by the van. Start roaming out a tad further from home base. There is a lot to see on this continent. I got to travel a lot as a kid and I want the same for mine. Enriches the life's experience.
That one looks real comfy Paul :thumbup: Good for the wet weather up there too.

I pretty much grew up in a tent style camper.
My parents would take a 1½ month vacation each summer and we'd go all over Europe in that thing.

They were pioneers in tent style campers. Bought # 27 ever produced in Europe.
Everywhere we'd go, putting it up and taking it down would be sure to gather crowds.

My folks were great travellers. In -67 we went to Poland in a fiat 600. 2 Adults and 2 kids. I still can't figure out how we managed to fit everything in there.

They had their 50 years anniversary in Usbekistan of all places. 80+ years old and still going. I got an e-mail yesterday that they were heading for Finland, so not to worry if nobody answers the phone:lol:

Willie, its been a marathon of Craigslist trolling for the last few weeks, two near misses then this one. I am off shortly to go pay up for it, then turn it around and drop it off at a storage yard and drive back home. Hope to be home before midnight so I can be back to work tomorrow. Back u on labour day (sept long weekend) to clean and hang out in it with the family. :)

Been looking for a year now but in spurts. Were renting one in the coming weeks

Well, I drove the 400 KM to hand over the cash and take possession of the trailer today, then I drove back without it. :) My buddy and I grabbed it up and took it to the storage lot near where his trailer is for the month at a campground, we are joining his crew up there in a few weeks then we will be hauling our rig back down with us. I am already planning a 4 day jaunt to the US sometime soon for our next journey, planning around work (for me) and school (for any guest families) is tough!
It does need a bit of TLC but overall its in good shape for a 13 year old trailer.

Willie, my buddy said something about doing an Oregon trip together, if we get near you guys, come on out ! :)

Nice rig Paul...Coming from somebody who's spent the last year in a travel trailer!

Last week I went on a 5 day Yampa Canyon raft trip with my crew here in steamboat...Trip cost was 70 per person! Pics soon to come!

Back