O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

I got a Petzl Caritool on Toni’s Ergovation. Looks similar to the Porter. She’s just rec climbing, not carrying a saw, so I don’t have to worry about trusting the plastic to not break.
It’s nice and fast for stowing loop runners, carabiners, and whatever miscellaneous gear.

Large Shembiner works nicely for me. Easy on-off, saw is on a lanyard so no worries about dropping. Being open it is easy to unhook if snagging a branch, but doesn't really happen tons Anyways

Were your other trailers straight cylinder or scissor hoists, Brian?
My 14K trailer was a scissor hoist and my 20K beast was dual straight cylinders. This is strictly for hauling my machine and OCCASIONAL hauling of a couple yards of stump grindings or dirt, very light duty. The loader weighs 3100 lbs and maybe 800 lbs for attachments. My tow vehicle is a very nice F150 and I'm not looking to beat it up.

How do the scissor and dual-cylinder compare in your experience? All three of mine are scissor hoists. I looked at some straight cylinder trailers, but on all the ones I saw, the cylinder cleat hung down beneath the trailer and I sometimes dump in not-so-smooth places and didn’t want it hanging stuff.

The Texas Pride I had was dual straight cylinder and would dump anything I loaded no matter what. But it was slow. The scissor lift was a lot faster but you couldn't load the trailer all the way up in the front or it wouldn't dump.

I always load lighter up front anyway so chunks don’t slam down while dumping and beat the floor up. Still happens sometimes. My 20’ is way slower than my 16’, but it has a 30k# hoist...fat cylinder/skinny hoses.

Last edited:
Yes it does, but I do it by eye.
It’s important to have the rake at a backward angle to bring the ‘spring’ into play.
Not for perfect lawns but a brilliant labour saver for a few quid.
Easy to transport as well, just throw it in the van.

Looks like it would be perfect for spreading tree mulch on driveways as well. Definitely looks like a good tool to have!

How would you make it better?

I think of having something fabbed to attach to a grapple or hitch-receiver coupler plate.

Back