Nystron vs Stable braid NB ?

Climbhigh

TreeHouser
Anyone use Nystron for Neg blocking? How stretchy is it compared to stable braid. was thinking of trying some with the AFB for solo rigging.

I have never used Nystron but if it's anything like Atlas it's a rubber band by comparison to Stable Braid.

For top-side friction, you have so much less rope in the system to stretch, that I think that high-stretch rope is the ticket for negative blocking.

I don't think you'd be solo negative blocking much in a vertically-tight drop zone, would you?

I self-lower a lot, as much as possible, unless its big. Its generally up high, tops and such. I use somewhat high stretch three-strand usually in the predecessor BMS Belay Spool. Never been a problem for me, over years.

We use polydyne for almost everything. It's great, I like the stretch factor when blocking. Obviously, when quarters are really tight, we will switch to SB. We took multiple 2000+Lb pieces on 5/8 polydyne this summer, worked great... In all fairness, it was heavily glazed after that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
"I don't think you'd be solo negative blocking much in a vertically-tight drop zone, would you?"

I was thinkin bout it ?

We use dynasorb alot as well. Never tried nystron, but ive been looking at the husky lines from allgear, similar to dynasorb but less expensive. Definitely a good idea to have both types of ropes in the toolbox.

Clear as mud, Rajan. I'm trying to think of an application in tree-rigging other than a 90 degree retainer for a stiff rigging line.

I prefer dish water grey as opposed to mud. If a rigging scenario requires a stretchy line then by all means use one. Personally I like a more static line and let it run without the variable of the elongation bouncing a piece at the end of it's drop.

I just picked up 2 hanks of all gear 1/2". Stiff and wiry out of the box, but after a couple uses, has excellent hand and wears well. Pretty much the same as dynasorb/nystrom/polydyne.

"I don't think you'd be solo negative blocking much in a vertically-tight drop zone, would you?"

I was thinkin bout it ?

No offense meant, by the way.

I would say that it would help in a lot of situations to have the stretch. Probably not critical. Worth a try to buy it. If you find you need less stretch, have two ropes.

By the time I'd be that close to negatively blocking onto something if I had too much stretch, I'm generally pushing off (free dropping onto a crash pad of wood or brush) smaller pieces, and/ or dumping a spar.

Rigging big pieces solo is probably not that practical or desirable.

Have you tried True Blue?

What kind of situation are you envisioning the high stretch being an issue, but at the same time able to self-lower the piece?

"What kind of situation are you envisioning the high stretch being an issue, but at the same time able to self-lower the piece?"

I was just curious having used mostly low stretch rigging lines. Just thought stretchy might work better with an AFB solo. I would not be solo rigging any big stuff (300# max) maybe in certain situations a top and a couple sections of spar on say an Alder or small conifer near targets. I would still have to go down and untie every time, but with SRT not such a big deal anymore.

That's when you know that your rigging quarters are tight like a tiger.
Sadly we do a lot of that: gardens, decks, condos, homes, golf carts that the jackass didn't move like he said he would but now is out of the country, etc…..

double whip it with a sling and biner. You can unhook it at the top and pull everything out.

Was also thinking about making several sections of Tenex spliced to rings and just tie as normal, run rigging line through eye and to spar. You would have a 2:1 on whatever you were lowering I guess.

Back